Flames 'New' Arena II - 'No it's yours, I insist'

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
if the city contributes all this money towards hosting the Olympics (if it goes ahead), will there still be money available to build a new NHL arena which we will eventually have to do?
No, the only thing in the current proposal is the refurbishment of the Saddledome and McMahon, and construction of a new community arena a new curling centre and the field house.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
I know this isn't relevant to the thread, but what are the results of the Olympic vote so far? Haven't seen anything reported, but I have a feeling the no vote is gonna come out on top.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
I don't have a vote in this as I live in Okotoks but I wish I did because the government of Alberta and the government of Canada will both be contributing huge $$$ if this goes ahead.

Federally I feel everyone should have had a vote, it's tax dollars from the whole country. The Olympics are fun to watch, but the cost is very high, and they all go over budget. The only positive would be the federal money that would have helped the Calgary economy, it's bleeding, which is not surprising since oil and gas was the only chip that was every played out west, should have diversified, and nobody wants to help since Albertans (not all of course) really shit on the country when things were going well.

I think not having the games is a good call overall, focus on fixing what needs to be fixed provincially.

I really want to see a new arena, it should be built, that should be priority.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
https://calgaryherald.com/news/local-news/calgary-event-centre-cost-estimate-comes-in-at-550-million

The Calgary Municipal Land Corp. told a council committee Friday that a new arena would cost between $550 million and $600 million, based on estimates provided by contractors and discussions with the owners of the Calgary Flames.

The estimates don’t include the cost of land and represent a slight increase from the price tag floated previously for the “Plan B” proposal to locate an arena in the parking lot hinterland north of Stampede Park.

Flames’ owners haven’t said whether they concur with CMLC’s estimate, though Calgary Sports and Entertainment Corp. provided conceptual drawings of a 20,000-seat building by architectural firm Rossetti for CMLC to review.

“I’m very confident that we can deliver a really good building for the citizens of Calgary, as well as Calgary Sports and Entertainment, for that number — it’s a strong number,” said CMLC president Michael Brown.

Guess it's an "event centre" now.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Nenshi hopes to strike arena deal with Flames in 2019 - 660 CITYNEWS

CALGARY (660 NEWS) — Mayor Naheed Nenshi hopes the Calgary Flames will join city council at the bargaining table to discuss a new arena deal. In his year-end interview with 660 and CityNews, Nenshi said both sides will have to have open their hearts and minds.

“Let’s bring the best minds in the world to bear on this question in a very open way, and let’s see if there is a deal there,” he said. “If there is a deal there that makes sense for Calgarians, I would be happy to champion that.”

The Flames and the City came to proverbial blows over the deal for a new arena in late 2017, but city council voted in favour of renewing negotiations earlier this year.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Nenshi said both sides will have to have open their hearts and minds.

That's gold coming from Nenshi, considering nobody is more petty than him.

“If there is a deal there that makes sense for Calgarians, I would be happy to champion that.”

Translation: Since there's no possibility of adding the Olympics to my legacy, this will have to do.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
New insights offer glimpse of what might replace Calgary's Saddledome | CBC News

future-view-of-victoria-park-calgary.jpg

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Negotiation terms, funding identified for potential arena deal: city

The city says basic negotiating terms have been drafted for a deal to replace the Saddledome, though details of the proposal likely won’t be made public until a tentative agreement is reached with the Calgary Flames.

The draft “term sheet” outlining the city’s bargaining position — as well as a proposed source of funds to contribute to a new arena — was approved Wednesday following a nearly two-hour closed meeting of council’s event centre committee.

“We’ve put together a term sheet that obviously we believe is fair and equitable to both parties,” said Coun. Jeff Davison, who chairs the event centre committee. “This is what we need and this is the terms we can move forward on a negotiation with.”

Details of the proposal, which would include a cash contribution from the city, according to Davison, won’t be made public until a tentative agreement is finalized. “This is a negotiation with a partner, and so there’s third-party involvement that is (subject) to confidentiality,” he said.

Davison said Wednesday that the proposal is different from previous deals because it’s about an entire district, not simply a new arena.

“It has to have public benefit. If you’re a citizen of Calgary who doesn’t attend a Flames game, there has to be a benefit. And I believe we’ve got that,” Davison said. “When you get back just to the idea of building a district, and the tax base that alone that comes with that district, there’s benefit for every single Calgarian there alone.”

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Every time there's some sort of news update, that's totally what I'm expecting to hear. I used to think both sides were being idiots, but at least the there are members of city council willing to talk now that Nenshi's been cut out.

I agree, I wish King and Nenshi had just bowed out at the beginning they both clearly hate eachother, you can't expect productivity when both guys are primarily concerned with their egos.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
New arena here we come. Having been to Edmonton's new one I can't wait to see ours (there's is really nice by the way). I expect ours to be even better since for some reason it is projected to cost $100 mil more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad