GDT: Flames @ Kraken, 8:00 MT (ugh) 20-11-2023, Sportsnet West/One

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Awful period from the Flames. Getting outworked and skated into the ground.

Zad is just 28 yrs old. Pretty tough to expect a guy entering his best years with most contract clout to sign a 34 yr old's 2nd to last contract (ie Backlund) IMO.

Well he's a bottom pairing guy. A good bottom pairing guy IMO but still.
I wouldn't have much problem with a 4x4 or something but these players just don't get term very often.

This team is barely treading water with a lot of these vets. Pretty sick of watching this team spin its tires.

Reactions: Felidae and Tofveve

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
That was an ugly period. No offense generated from anyone.

Hopefully they pick it up here in the 3rd.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
The other issue is that I'm not sure roll-back seating and the proposed stadium puts us in line for things like commonwealth games or Olympics or world cups if we're forward thinking to 15 or 20 years down the road when Calgary has 2.5 to 3 million people in the metro area. It's why Edmonton can host events we can't even with an old stadium too. Mcmahon is literally the dinosaur of the CFL and we've gone from 30 yrs of being the class franchise of the league to near the bottom (even Ottawa and Hamilton post near sellouts for awhile now, or at least have those optics). I can see how the whole province rallied around Regina and the Riders, but if Winnipeg can do it no reason we as a bigger city in a rich province can't - and not coincidentally Winnipeg is now the running class franchise of the league, the face of it and doing a bang up job of it. But I digress.
Those are fair points. A new stadium and arena would be perfect.

2 new arenas would be better 🤣

I suggested this when the who arena talk started a century ago, but I'd also like to see Airdrie build a 6-8k arena. They could easily get the Wranglers or Hitmen to play there and Airdrie has enough people living there that I think they could draw decently.

Reactions: Tofveve

joescores

Mar 21, 2011
Terrible at FO, the game starts there, and when we occasionally win it, the puck management is obtuse.

If we play like this in the 3rd, the game is over.

Zary has been invisible in this one, 4th line suddenly looks shit.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Awful period from the Flames. Getting outworked and skated into the ground.

Well he's a bottom pairing guy. A good bottom pairing guy IMO but still.
I wouldn't have much problem with a 4x4 or something but these players just don't get term very often.

This team is barely treading water with a lot of these vets. Pretty sick of watching this team spin its tires.

I'm not his hugest fan but it doesn't feel any of our other top 4 have always played as such. Hanafin's better so far this year not surprising he's looking for a boon contract or trade to someone willing to pay him. Tanev has just been okay, Ras not much better. Weeg has probably been our most reliable. But I could put Zad about anywhere in the top 5 and even on the PP.

Reactions: joescores

joescores

Mar 21, 2011
I'm not his hugest fan but it doesn't feel any of our other top 4 have always played as such. Hanafin's better so far this year not surprising he's looking for a boon contract or trade to someone willing to pay him. Tanev has just been okay, Ras not much better. Weeg has probably been our most reliable. But I could put Zad about anywhere in the top 5 and even on the PP.
Ras has 2 points today but he hasn't looked right at all.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I feel like Hanifin always gets massively underrated like Bouwmeester was because the sexiest thing about his game is his skating and so I feel fans often overlook him.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Those are fair points. A new stadium and arena would be perfect.

2 new arenas would be better 🤣

I suggested this when the who arena talk started a century ago, but I'd also like to see Airdrie build a 6-8k arena. They could easily get the Wranglers or Hitmen to play there and Airdrie has enough people living there that I think they could draw decently.

I like that Airdrie arena a ton too. I feel Calgary could be so much more with just a couple of world class additions like these.

And also, keeping the saddledome around would help for hosting events like the world juniors better. Sure have a game or two in Red Deer, but let's not share with Edmonton for goodness sake lol.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I like that Airdrie arena a ton too. I feel Calgary could be so much more with just a couple of world class additions like these.

And also, keeping the saddledome around would help for hosting events like the world juniors better. Sure have a game or two in Red Deer, but let's not share with Edmonton for goodness sake lol.
Well if you had the Airdrie arena, there would be no need for games in Red Deer as that rink would be large enough to host the pool without Canada. The Dome though, as much as I love it and would love to see it repurposed, I think that is a pipe dream.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
I feel like Hanifin always gets massively underrated like Bouwmeester was because the sexiest thing about his game is his skating and so I feel fans often overlook him.

Well I wouldn't be surprised if he shined elsewhere because he's still young. I see flashes of Brodie and Hamilton in him. Probably closer to Hamilton in size and how Dougie blossomed in his last year or so here (which it seeks Noah is now doing). But he's had a bit of that erraticism TJ displayed after his Norris couple of years. If we can sign him still I'd like Noah to sign here, but I'd be on the edge of my seat hoping he wouldn't revert to some of the erratic ways.

Well if you had the Airdrie arena, there would be no need for games in Red Deer as that rink would be large enough to host the pool without Canada. The Dome though, as much as I love it and would love to see it repurposed, I think that is a pipe dream.

True enough. I think the domes days are numbered. It would probably need an exterior updating to have it even fit with the new downtown look. Who knows what's under that metal cladding. Probably has to come down.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Bourbon and pie Francis, bourbon and pie

Meanwhile Leslie has a Statham role to double in after the game

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Why was dube and Zary swapped lol.

Seriously, and aj Greer with lindholm? Okay then.
Zary hasn't been good. Dube hasn't done much, but Dube didn't have a play where he aggressively beaver tailed and then immediately lost the puck and killed a promising sequence, so I think a message is being sent.

Reactions: joescores

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Do we have anyone on our team that can fight? Need to spark the boys. Seattle sounds like they are watching the Opera. Genuinely curious though. Who really can fight?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad