GDT: Flames @ Kraken, 8:00 MT (ugh) 20-11-2023, Sportsnet West/One

JurassicTunga

it is what it is
Mar 21, 2010
ryan-gosling-nods.gif

A rare win in extra time! They are piling up the points lately.

Reactions: Tofveve and Deen

flames23

Mar 11, 2010
Burnaby
Team seems to be coming together and recently have resolve?
Having Kadri w the kids has rejuvenated him and the team at large as picked up their game. Also variance. Hubie doesn't get that shot to go in all of last yr and most of this. When you're hot you're hot. Lol.

Reactions: Tofveve

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Having Kadri w the kids has rejuvenated him and the team at large as picked up their game. Also variance. Hubie doesn't get that shot to go in all of last yr and most of this. When you're hot you're hot. Lol.

Huberdeau probably feels the eyes on him in the Dome. Maybe he could get rolling with success? Optimism?

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
Huberdeau probably feels the eyes on him in the Dome. Maybe he could get rolling with success? Optimism?
I mean, he's had 3 really good games in a row. Not just the points, but winning a bit more battles, passes connecting much more resulting in legit scoring chances

Also, this game was the most physical I've seen from him in a while, and that's including his Florida days.

I do wanna keep my expectations realistic considering his body of work with the flames, but him feasting on weaker competition with Backlund and Coleman seems sustainable..

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
I mean, he's had 3 really good games in a row. Not just the points, but winning a bit more battles, passes connecting much more resulting in legit scoring chances

Also, this game was the most physical I've seen from him in a while, and that's including his Florida days.

I do wanna keep my expectations realistic considering his body of work with the flames, but him feasting on weaker competition with Backlund and Coleman seems sustainable..

Not sure I want Huberdeau digging pucks out of the corner/hitting sustainably though. He's not a small guy though, It helps when he does.

Reactions: Tofveve and Felidae

flames23

Mar 11, 2010
Burnaby
Yeah I was half joking that 3 games on the trot was him being hot. But he's been good even at the dome lately.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Happy with that effort from the Flames. 2nd period was not good but tbh I thought that was more the Kraken playing well than the Flames playing poorly. Nothing will change my opinion that they should sell all these UFAs tho. Unless one of them wants to actually step out on that ledge and sign a contract Conroy puts in front of them before Christmas they should still all be gone.

Good - Holy shit a PP goal. PP actually looked good for much of the night. Huberdeau, one of the paltry few games that he has looked like a star player in a Flames uniform. Physical and moving his feet. Smart short passes and a shot for a goal. If we can get more games like that I'll be happy. Pospisil really doing everything he can to prove that he's an NHL player. My god we could have used more of that youthful exuberance in the last couple years. Lindy starting to see those 2nd efforts that make him an effective top 6 fwd. Ras won the game in OT, I liked when he did that. Nice game from him. Hanifin has also been very very good outside the first cpl weeks of the season, another quality effort. If Conroy doesn't get a haul for this player I will be upset.

Pretty good - Dube skating hard, really wish he had a bit more vision but that effort you have to recognize. Weegar a little quieter but still solid. Naz I thought was quality defensively. Vladar didn't like that one 5 hole goal but otherwise was aggressive and cut down angles well. Backs was decent, carried the puck well in the NZ.

Not bad - Sharangovich, DeSimone, Zary, Greer, Tanev some good some bad with this group. Zary didn't have the legs going.

Not good - Zadorov just a step slow on a lot of plays. Doesn't look like he's totally in it. Penalty machine when he's not at his best. Duehr, did he play? Didn't notice him at all.

Bad - Thought Coleman was junk. Not a player that you can say that about often so he gets a pass.

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
Not sure I want Huberdeau digging pucks out of the corner/hitting sustainably though. He's not a small guy though, It helps when he does.
Yeah, he's honestly done a lot more of that in Calgary than he ever did in his last few years in Florida. I notice him being back to help out in the dzone too.

Unfortunately though, I don't think he has much of a choice. That might be a part of finally adjusting his game to be a productive player on the team.

It's getting him results so far, and it's not like he's played well anywhere else in the lineup. Him and Kadri didn't work, him and Lindholm didn't either.

Might as well stay with Backlund and don't fix what isn't broke.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Yeah, he's honestly done a lot more of that in Calgary than he ever did in his last few years in Florida. I notice him being back to help out in the dzone too.

Unfortunately though, I don't think he has much of a choice. That might be a part of finally adjusting his game to be a productive player on the team.

It's getting him results so far, and it's not like he's played well anywhere else in the lineup. Him and Kadri didn't work, him and Lindholm didn't either.

Well said.

Reactions: Boomstick

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

It's reminding me of Jokinen, when he came here and was asked to play defense, he was lost because in Florida and Arizona he was never asked to play defense. Weegar commented on this last year too, about being asked to be more defensively responsible.

Reactions: Felidae and Tofveve

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Happy with that effort from the Flames. 2nd period was not good but tbh I thought that was more the Kraken playing well than the Flames playing poorly. Nothing will change my opinion that they should sell all these UFAs tho. Unless one of them wants to actually step out on that ledge and sign a contract Conroy puts in front of them before Christmas they should still all be gone.

Good - Holy shit a PP goal. PP actually looked good for much of the night. Huberdeau, one of the paltry few games that he has looked like a star player in a Flames uniform. Physical and moving his feet. Smart short passes and a shot for a goal. If we can get more games like that I'll be happy. Pospisil really doing everything he can to prove that he's an NHL player. My god we could have used more of that youthful exuberance in the last couple years. Lindy starting to see those 2nd efforts that make him an effective top 6 fwd. Ras won the game in OT, I liked when he did that. Nice game from him. Hanifin has also been very very good outside the first cpl weeks of the season, another quality effort. If Conroy doesn't get a haul for this player I will be upset.

Pretty good - Dube skating hard, really wish he had a bit more vision but that effort you have to recognize. Weegar a little quieter but still solid. Naz I thought was quality defensively. Vladar didn't like that one 5 hole goal but otherwise was aggressive and cut down angles well. Backs was decent, carried the puck well in the NZ.

Not bad - Sharangovich, DeSimone, Zary, Greer, Tanev some good some bad with this group. Zary didn't have the legs going.

Not good - Zadorov just a step slow on a lot of plays. Doesn't look like he's totally in it. Penalty machine when he's not at his best. Duehr, did he play? Didn't notice him at all.

Bad - Thought Coleman was junk. Not a player that you can say that about often so he gets a pass.

I hope Zad is gone to Toronto/Vancouver by Friday. Mangiapane seems to have bought in. My hot take is that Mangi can/will be a point per game player. Beaullivier for Zads would be a good trade imo.

Last edited:

BobColesNasalCavity

Oct 15, 2016
West Side
I hope Zad is gone to Toronto/Vancouver by Friday. Mangiapane seems to have bought in. My hot take is that Mangi can/will be a point per game player. Beaullivier for Zads would be a good trade imo.
That’s an extra hot take. I’ve always thought if Mangi can be a 25-30 goal 60 point player he’d be ok in my books.

Pleased to land and get the extra good news with not just a W but an OT W. One of those rare occurrences.

Reactions: Deen and Felidae

salwan

Nov 4, 2023

I come here every morning looking for your post to see how our Slovak boys are doing.
Just wanted to give some love!

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
It's reminding me of Jokinen, when he came here and was asked to play defense, he was lost because in Florida and Arizona he was never asked to play defense. Weegar commented on this last year too, about being asked to be more defensively responsible.
Yeah.

I think the change affected Huberdeau much more than it did Weegar though.

Besides the obvious fact that Weegar is a defenseman, he was actually more defensive minded in his first years as a Panther, and only in his last 2 years as a Panther did his offense surge, he got more opportunity, started taking risks, and at times, the mistakes were costly. Quite a few panthers fans soured on him. Especially his last year with us.

As a flame he seems to have found a nice balance between the two.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Yeah.

I think the change affected Huberdeau much more than it did Weegar though.

Besides the obvious fact that Weegar is a defenseman, he was actually more defensive minded in his first years as a Panther, and only in his last 2 years as a Panther did his offense surge, he got more opportunity, started taking risks, and at times, the mistakes were costly. Quite a few panthers fans soured on him. Especially his last year with us.

As a flame he seems to have found a nice balance between the two.
Yeah it's always harder for forwards, but Huberdeau has also been doing it for much longer too, as he has almost 2x the career GP, which means at the time of the trade, it was probably more than double.

I really hope his confidence is returning, because that'd be amazing for us. I really like how Huska has handled this situation so far.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00