Series Discussion: Flames - Jets (Flames Win 3-1)

Who wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Totally against this idea. There is no need whatsoever to have Valimaki in the lineup and what kind of message does it send to expose the Captain of the team? All I see are negatives. Nope... I would be furious if management did this.

Well the rebuttal to that is that we have a stud sitting on the sidelines. IF we get through the Jets it would be nice to actually go for it. It's a huge addition for us over Derek Forbort and Valimaki can actually move the puck through the neutral zone. I do understand your point though, but we are lacking what Valimaki brings. Losing Gio wouldn't be the worst thing in the world either in my opinion. Let the kid play.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Well the rebuttal to that is that we have a stud sitting on the sidelines. IF we get through the Jets it would be nice to actually go for it. It's a huge addition for us over Derek Forbort and Valimaki can actually move the puck through the neutral zone. I do understand your point though, but we are lacking what Valimaki brings. Losing Gio wouldn't be the worst thing in the world either in my opinion. Let the kid play.
The last time he played regularly was November 23, 2018. Thats a total of 622 days. Throwing him into the high pressure do or die playoffs is a lot to ask of a rookie with 26 games of NHL experience under his belt. Let him sit the rest of the season watching the games from the stands eating popcorn.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
These were the line combinations in the last game. Is everyone happy with them? I am.

View attachment 357977 View attachment 357979 View attachment 357980
These are the ideal lines to me rn. Only possible change would maybe be Bennett over Looch on the powerplay, or Quine/Czarnik over Jankowski but its not a big deal to have someone defend well and not score good for 10 minutes a night. I'm very happy with how the top line performed last night--anyone saying they need to be split apart needs to pay some attention to the games, and Lucic is really our best option on the third line right now and he does his role well.

If it ain't broke don't fix it.

bob77

Nov 19, 2014
For all the Forbort haters, just want you let you know the Jets haven’t scored even strength against him and he’s been great on PK. If Valimaki plays, I doubt Forbort comes out. They need defensive D, especially in playoffs.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Funny thing that I just realized.

I do not miss Travis Hamonic at all.

giphy.gif

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Funny thing that I just realized.

I do not miss Travis Hamonic at all.

I think he and Kylington would have made a nice pair to be honest. But it's so nice to separate Hanifin from him, those two were not clicking at all this year. While I'm no Hanifin fan, the Hanifin-Andersson pairing has been far more steady.-

Reactions: Iggys Dome and Dack

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I wonder if the Flames will offer Gus a contract once the playoffs are over? He's a UFA and he's currently making $1.2M.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Outside of game 2, I've been a fan of Forbort. He's the ideal 3rd pairing guy, he won't allow anything through at 5v5 outside of trying to do way too much offensively. When he's playing a stay at home game he's good enough with the first pass out of the zone that he can let Gustafsson join the rush and use good defensive IQ to shut down two on ones and break up the cycle. Even in his poor game 2 effort he was great at getting into lanes with his stick during the PK. I like what we see from him.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Outside of game 2, I've been a fan of Forbort. He's the ideal 3rd pairing guy, he won't allow anything through at 5v5 outside of trying to do way too much offensively. When he's playing a stay at home game he's good enough with the first pass out of the zone that he can let Gustafsson join the rush and use good defensive IQ to shut down two on ones and break up the cycle. Even in his poor game 2 effort he was great at getting into lanes with his stick during the PK. I like what we see from him.

The main reason I can't stand him is the consistent turnovers in the defensive end. I'd put that at the absolute top of the list of things that hurt a team defensively, and no amount of physicality or good defensive play on the rush really makes up for causing yourself and four teammates to go back on defence after winning the puck.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
The main reason I can't stand him is the consistent turnovers in the defensive end. I'd put that at the absolute top of the list of things that hurt a team defensively, and no amount of physicality or good defensive play on the rush really makes up for causing yourself and four teammates to go back on defence after winning the puck.
I haven't noticed him as the root of a lot of turnovers. Maybe I'm just not looking but I haven't seen him turning it over in the defensive end, but he also doesn't take a lot of risky passes which causes him to put it up the boards a lot more necessary, which could be a cause for turnovers I guess.

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
I think Forbort has been our worst defender by a country mile, but we're winning the series so I'm not gonna harp on him too much. As for Hamonic, he's a good dude and I wish him the best but I'm not losing any sleep over him potentially leaving. Would much rather keep Brods. Maybe I'd take back Hammer at a 3x3 or something.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
If you slapped the #24 on Forbort, I wouldn't be able to tell the difference between him and Hamonic

I can. There's something super wrong with Forborts shots and passes. I liked the concept of Forbort, scared seeing him in game because of how many of his clearing attempts and passes are flubs.

Gus has settled down a lot which is nice. I'd consider bringing him back.

Last edited:

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I haven't noticed him as the root of a lot of turnovers. Maybe I'm just not looking but I haven't seen him turning it over in the defensive end, but he also doesn't take a lot of risky passes which causes him to put it up the boards a lot more necessary, which could be a cause for turnovers I guess.
One that really springs to mind from last game was a play where he was going back into the right corner to retrieve a dump. Gus was skating in position to accept a reverse, which was the easy play. A Jet was charging down the boards at him, taking away the passing lane to the Flames' right winger. Forbort looked only over his left shoulder, then seeing an opponent attempted to force the pass up the wall, which gave that Jets player a chance to shoot right away. He didn't even consider the simple play for a second.

I watch plays like that and I just don't understand how this guy has built a career.

Reactions: Mazatt

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
One that really springs to mind from last game was a play where he was going back into the right corner to retrieve a dump. Gus was skating in position to accept a reverse, which was the easy play. A Jet was charging down the boards at him, taking away the passing lane to the Flames' right winger. Forbort looked only over his left shoulder, then seeing an opponent attempted to force the pass up the wall, which gave that Jets player a chance to shoot right away. He didn't even consider the simple play for a second.

I watch plays like that and I just don't understand how this guy has built a career.
The more egregious example I can think of was when Forbort and Gus were playing catch at the point in game 2. Forbort has the puck and there's two Jets forwards cheating trying to cut their passing lane off. Instead of getting the puck deep, Forbort delivers a telegraphed pass to Connor (?) leading to a breakaway and the nicest save of the series by Talbot

User1996

Jun 24, 2020

To be fair, for a guy like Forbort the simple play is either a rim or a pass to the wall every play. Just not much skill there to do anything else

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Forbort was miles better in game 3. That's not saying much, he looked like baby poo in Game 2.

He still looks like he wandered onto the ice with the wrong player's hockey stick. My goodness. I get that he is still warming up to the team, getting used to things... sure. But something about his shots in general just don't make sense at all to me. His clearing shots and passes are worse than muffins.

Luckily, it's something that should be relatively easy to correct, but when I see he's part of the play, I get scared and worried.

EDIT: I kinda hope that we see Kylington play...

Last edited:

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
Forborts a guy we will appreciate if we move on against a heavy team like the Blues or the Stars.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Forborts a guy we will appreciate if we move on against a heavy team like the Blues or the Stars.

I can agree to that. I don't hate Forbort, but his stick handling terrifies me. Hopefully he can sort things out like Gus and make me feel more confident in him soon.

The current Forbort doesn't look like the pre-covid Forbort on the Flames. That's why I have faith he will figure it out.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Forbert is meh... at 28 he is what he is. I doubt the Flames will offer him a new contract as I doubt he'll get better as he gets older. Gus might be a different story. He at least has that great shot from the blue line and he's already proven he can score. I wouldn't be surprised to see Tre offer Gus a new contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad