Series Discussion: Flames - Jets (Flames Win 3-1)

Who wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Because Monahan - Backlund - Ryan are better centers.
There are four spots to play centre, just because we have three better C's doesn't mean Bennett can't also play C. Plus Bennett on the third line and Ryan anchoring the fourth makes us a better overall lineup.

Reactions: FlamerForLife

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I would just like to bitch about the start time on Monday for a second. Monday is my golf day and booking a tee time around a mid-day start (on a holiday no less) is a pain in the ass.

This is especially funny because my dad just asked me if I wanted to golf Monday and I turned him down.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
Not too many writers, sites or neutral fans giving us a chance in this series....I like the underdog status

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Speaking of the analytic crowd, Winnipeg has terrible analytics. They bleed shots in the slot (Schiefele and Connor on the ice are super bad for this, but no matter who's on the ice there's a lot of pressure in front of Hellebuyck), and they don't get in on goalies and generate shots from in tight. And Maurice has spoken in the past about how it's just "not their style" to attack the front of the net. With Monahan thriving in the slot, Tkachuk loving the net front, and other big bodies in Lucic, and the guys to get the puck into the slot, the Flames match up really well.

It's not just strategy, as far as lines go the Flames match up well if utilized effectively as the home team.
The Scheifele line should be matched up against Tkachuk and Backlund--They are all offense and we need an actual shut down line to take them on. Then with poor defensive play we could hopefully look at them controlling play.

Eakin's line is going to run through Ehlers and Laine, so this is one we need Giordano/Brodie, or Forbort Gustafsson up against. A smart d-man to cut in on Laine and a speedy defensemen on the right side who can keep up with Ehler's and cut down on rush chances. Plus with Gaudreau's line up against them, Lindholm would also be able to slow down Ehler's hopefully.

And then the line's go regularly from there. Calgary's only real necessary moves for linematching is to avoid having Guadreau up against Lowry, and having one of Brodano or Forbort/Gustafsson out to diminish Ehler's rush chances. And from there causing commotion and funneling the puck in the slot should help in beating Hellebuyck. But after looking at it the Flames have the ability to match up against Winnipeg well if utilized properly

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Did you watch the Oilers game? Forbort and Gustafsson looked f***ing atrocious.

Not like either has ever been good anyway.

I would love to know how these myths get started that players like Forbort are actually good. It's the same myth makers who say Engelland is good (lol, he was a gong show).

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
How do you guys feel about Kylington being the odd one out on D?
I'm fine with it in the sense that he should be the 7th d-man with Gustafsson filling his role and more, and playing them together would be disastrous. But I'm not fine with Mike f***ing Stone playing in exhibition over Kylington. Stone is gone from our team after this year and there's zero chance he plays in the playoffs. Kylington hopefully has a future with this team and is a good player--much better than Stone, so playing him makes no sense. I'm cheesed they'd actually put Stone into the lineup for the tune up.

Did you watch the Oilers game? Forbort and Gustafsson looked f***ing atrocious.

Not like either has ever been good anyway.

I would love to know how these myths get started that players like Forbort are actually good. It's the same myth makers who say Engelland is good (lol, he was a gong show).
People coming to different conclusions than you doesn't mean they don't watch the games. Shockingly people are willing to look past some issues with Gustafsson defensively when he has 60 point potential and can man a powerplay, where as you have a weird issue with Forbort and you refuse he's anything other than a pylon.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
How do you guys feel about Kylington being the odd one out on D?

giphy.gif

Honestly speaking, I kept thinking Gus was Kylington for the first little bit of the game against Edmonton. I was more livid when I realized it was Gus.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
People coming to different conclusions than you doesn't mean they don't watch the games. Shockingly people are willing to look past some issues with Gustafsson defensively when he has 60 point potential and can man a powerplay, where as you have a weird issue with Forbort and you refuse he's anything other than a pylon.

Kylington is better than Gus is defensively. Forbort is trash, it's a joke we wasted a 4th rounder for him and it's a joke we play him over Kylington.

Also yes, if people watch the games and can't see Forbort is useless, then they don't understand hockey. He adds nothing. Has nothing to disagreeing with me, he can't move the puck up the ice, in 2020 if you can't transition the puck you have no place in the NHL.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
So Rinaldo only got 3 mins of ice and our PK was 7/7.

Not much reason to bring Jankowski in and not much reason to put Rinaldo back in. It's Czarnik time
That's too logical for ward

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
I think it's Robinson time. I'm not sure how much ice time we're going to get out of the 4th line outside of the PK, so someone like Czarnik won't be used effectively. Same deal if we want Quine there--these are offensively driven guys, do we want them out there for three minutes to potentially force a play, or do we want a guy who knows his role, i.e. Robinson/Gawdin and are defensively responsible in 5 minutes of ice time. But Rinaldo screwed the pooch on the Jets only goal so I doubt he starts next game.

As for the rest of the lineup, Hanifin played the least amount of ice time on the back end which isn't super surprising and it was still at around 17 minutes. I like Gustafsson and Forbort is unoffensive in anything he does but he can move the puck well and defends well. Gus was good on the top unit and actually has a somewhat dangerous shot and he gets it through traffic. Andersson plays as I'd expect in playoffs, a bit safer but makes the smart plays. Giordano and Brodie were against Wheeler and Connor for ~65% of the game and it showed, they shut them down well. Feel like we had good structure for todays game and were willing to take a penalty to protect Talbot.

On the forward side, despite scoring this game, Gaudreau and that line wasn't overly noticeable. Actually, early on Gaudreau was really trying and was impactful but the rest of his linemates weren't astounding to me. Lindholm played physical but I can't remember if he actually played the puck at all, while Monahan was ok, carried the puck a bit, and made the smart play to Gaudreau on the first goal. I think there's a lack of rhythm between them and the D, as early in the game there were some passes back that resulted in turnovers because they missed/Andersson was pulling back when they expected him to stay still. But I like that Gaudreau scored, I feel that confidence is going to carry forward well and you could tell there was an extra tempo with the top line after it.

Second line, idk what to say other than that they played a perfect game. Backlund and Mangiapane scored, forechecked well, same with Tkachuk. Cycled, defended well, broke the puck out, just did everything right. Third line; Lucic got a breakaway and made a good play in the corner with Dube on the Backlund goal, Dube is unsurprisingly energetic and played well, and Bennett was impactful in a positive way.

Rieder and Ryan played solely on the PK for most of the game and they controlled it. Rinaldo... I already talked about. But our PK was uber-aggressive which calls back to last season and I like that. We were willing to carry the puck when we had a lane, we were smart with moving the puck around when the Jets wouldn't pressure, really good. I forget the powerplay though, but they scored twice so nice.

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
Rieder-Ryan-Czarnik is logically our best 4th line since we're insistent on keeping Looch on the 3rd line, so that obviously means it will never happen.

Reactions: Mobiandi

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
Who know how the Jets will play game 2 now. Especially after PM’s comments regarding Tkachuk they might try to use Scheifs injury as a rallying point and play super aggressive and dirty. I wouldn’t be against keeping Ronaldo in game 2 in case.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Rieder-Ryan-Czarnik is logically our best 4th line since we're insistent on keeping Looch on the 3rd line, so that obviously means it will never happen.
We just won 4-1. The series is only going to get rougher, especially with key injuries to a couple of their top players. Why would we even consider inserting a featherweight, that spent much of the year banished to the AHL? It makes absolutely no sense.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
I'm surprised our fans still have the gall to complain about Lucic on the third line after he's proven he can succeed there and we don't have much better options. Like, c'mon.

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
I'm surprised our fans still have the gall to complain about Lucic on the third line after he's proven he can succeed there and we don't have much better options. Like, c'mon.

Eh, he’s kinda useless there. Took a couple dumb penalties yesterday too with limited ice time. He’s not horrible but he’s not immune from criticism there. Like I’d be okay with Quine or Czarnik there over him no problem.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Eh, he’s kinda useless there. Took a couple dumb penalties yesterday too with limited ice time. He’s not horrible but he’s not immune from criticism there. Like I’d be okay with Quine or Czarnik there over him no problem.
In terms of what that line needs, someone to cycle with, to hit and provide energy, I would want no part of Quine or Czarnik playing 13 minutes a night.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary

That would be nice.

Gaudreau - Bennett - Lindholm
Tkachuk - Backlund - Mangiapane
Dube - Monahan - Czarnik
Quine - Ryan - Rieder

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad