Series Discussion: Flames - Jets (Flames Win 3-1)

Who wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Looked quite solid tonight. Better than Giordano, if I'm being honest. Forbort limited his mistakes and made several good plays. You love to see it.

Gio's play is highly concerning. It's offset a bit by Andersson-Hanifin looking really good but still concerning overall.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Gio's play is highly concerning. It's offset a bit by Andersson-Hanifin looking really good but still concerning overall.

He's a good enough player that you have to expect him to turn it around moving forward, even at his age. He was downright bad against the Jets, but they are a team that can transition the puck as good as any other team in this league due to their speed. There is a reason they led the NHL in goals off of the rush this season. The Jets were not a good matchup for Giordano personally. He will fare much better against the likes of the Blues, Stars or Knights. The Mackinnon matchup is obviously a scary proposition. I would lean heavily on Hanifin and Andersson in that potential series.

Giordano has lost a step or two since last season, There is no denying that.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
In game 1 and 2 Andersson was in teh 17-18 minute range, in games 3 and 4 (flames most convicing wins) he played 20-21 minutes. I'm really impressed with his play, and how Hanifin played in the last two games

Reactions: RasmusAndersson

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014

He might be worth pushing down to the second pairing as early as next season, but IMO as a 1B pairing to reduce his mileage. Overall this series though, I think he's just rusty. I think he will get better as the playoffs continue.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
I like the idea of transitioning
He might be worth pushing down to the second pairing as early as next season, but IMO as a 1B pairing to reduce his mileage. Overall this series though, I think he's just rusty. I think he will get better as the playoffs continue.
I like the idea of transitioning Hanifin/Andersson/Valimaki into that 2nd powerplay unit as the QB so we put less stress on Giordano *assuming we can keep Gustafsson.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
We need to look at the great job Ward-o has done thus far. He has the guys striving to play perfect defensive games. This is the most solid defensive structure I have seen in Calgary in the last decade. He has everybody getting the puck deep in the offensive zone.

Ward-o outcoached Maurice as badly as the Flames beat up on an injured team. Examples putting Monahan out there for the first goal. Choosing Talbot to start. Had the better PP and PK. When the Jets adapted Ward-o had an answer.

Reactions: RasmusAndersson

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I like the idea of transitioning

I like the idea of transitioning Hanifin/Andersson/Valimaki into that 2nd powerplay unit as the QB so we put less stress on Giordano *assuming we can keep Gustafsson.

It's kinda like how Chara is utilized IMO. They distribute the load better for "heavier lifting", but Chara is still definitely their 1D.

The more I think about it, the more I seem to realize that Boston is worth watching more for ideas on how to fine tune our team or higher level polish stuff. Not necessarily style wise stuff, but some of the small things that most people know of, but don't seem to realize is important. Consider it like glue and hair line crack patching sort of stuff.

I wonder if Ward and Lucic inadvertently brought that this year.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I like Gus but he is expendable with Valimaki coming back.

Our top focus needs to be signing our future to long term deals. Mangiapane, Bennett, Dube (Lindholm type contract), Valimaki will all need deals and should be signed long term.
It would be pretty surprising if the Flames don’t sign Talbot to a two year 4 million AAV deal. He’s been great basically all season.

We need space for that and then we should be able to add other pieces as other teams are capped.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Boomstick

Oct 29, 2003
St. Catharines, Ontario
Visit site
I'm so happy. Way to go Flames. Shift work is so difficult for me especially during playoffs.
I'm on day shift. Alarm goes off at 3:45 am est so i was trying to sleep last night but caught the last two periods.
I'm getting too old to be getting up this early.
But so happy the Flames are moving on.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
I like Gus but he is expendable with Valimaki coming back.

Our top focus needs to be signing our future to long term deals. Mangiapane, Bennett, Dube (Lindholm type contract), Valimaki will all need deals and should be signed long term.
It would be pretty surprising if the Flames don’t sign Talbot to a two year 4 million AAV deal. He’s been great basically all season.

We need space for that and then we should be able to add other pieces as other teams are capped.
Bennett doesn't deserve a long-term contract, he should be kept around on cheap-ish two way deals.

With Valimaki coming back, we still don't have a full lineup if Hamonic and Brodie leave. If Gustafsson is cheaper than either of them we can keep him around to quarterback the PP. Plus his familiarity will mean a lot more than someone of equal skill.

We definitely can't afford Talbot at that dollar value if we want to sign a lot of pieces, unless we are content with our top 6.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Interesting thread displaying us as fancy stat darlings. Scheifle and Laine's absences definitely skewed things in our favour but the numbers say that we did everything well (even if I don't know what a lot of them mean)

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Interesting thread displaying us as fancy stat darlings. Scheifle and Laine's absences definitely skewed things in our favour but the numbers say that we did everything well (even if I don't know what a lot of them mean)

This is more promising. Our shot quality is up with the Avs and Oilers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad