Friedman: Flames interested in Zuccarello

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
I thought he was a left hand shot?? Or maybe I'm wrong.

Correct. He’s a playmaking Lefty who plays RW.

Zucc thrives playing with a RH shooter who can find open ice near the left circle. He’s a definite upgrade over Frolik, but he plays a position that’s not one of Calgary’s main concerns imo. He’s a luxury at this point.

I don’t see a 1st coming from Calgary unless Zucc is Re-Signed there. His Two-Way play and overall skill is without a doubt, underrated on these boards for some reason. He’s a tenacious vet who will elevate his teams play.

Curious to see what happens with Zucc these next few weeks.

Reactions: wafflepadsave

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
That'd be pretty cool to see him on the Flames. He'd definitely get under the skin of a lot of those Western conference teams.

Reactions: BHD

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I've said it in other threads, I think he'll go for a beefed up "Kane deal". My suggestion is:

To New York Rangers:
- Conditional Pick(s) in 2020 (1st if he re-signs, 2nd & 3rd if he doesn't)
- 1 of Mangiapane/Gillies/Nielsen
To Calgary Flames:
- Mats Zuccarello

I know some Rangers fans dislike it, but frankly I am not too fond of it myself. Which is why I feel it is probably pretty fair.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
It is crazy the amount of people who undervalue Zucc. A consistent 50-60+ top 6 winger but he is not worth a 1st? OK then.

Rangers will get a 1st+ so if Flames dont want to stump up a 1st rounder or top prospect then they wont get him.
Some people really overrate picks anyhow. Where will the Calgary pick be? In the 20s I guess? It’s a crapshoot there. As a Ranger fan I’d prefer a solid prospect.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Some people really overrate picks anyhow. Where will the Calgary pick be? In the 20s I guess? It’s a crapshoot there. As a Ranger fan I’d prefer a solid prospect.
People also underrate the market. There seems to be more sellers than buyers this year and on top of that, there is more high end guys than ever before.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Zucc easily gets a 1st. People really under value his defensive play along with his play making ability. Also has an edge. He's always in the middle of the scrum. I've been saying this for a while, but it makes more sense for NYR to keep him. They don't have any other quality play makers besides Hayes and he can't even make the plays Zucc makes.

I think the only one in the organization that could make phenomenal passes will be Kravtsov. Zibanejad is in a league of his own....

I agree with everything that comes after your 1st sentence, he's a great player but the one factor that will potentially inhibit him getting a 1st is sheer supply and demand. Right now there are a ton of great players being shopped around with high asking prices, and fewer teams looking to add that have a 1st.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I don't know what's so funny about Zuccarello making Neal and Bennett more dangerous. Zuccarello made Pouliot look like a legit top 6 player. Brassard has never played as well as he did with Zuccarello. He's very good at making a 2nd/ 3rd line more dangerous.
Because that poster already thinks Bennett is our #1C, even though he's not a center or a first liner

I like Zucc and I think he would be a good fit with Neal and either Bennett or Jankowski, but he won't make them a "1st line", maybe he can make them look like a 2nd line, but no line with Bennett and Neal will be a first line.

Last edited:

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I've said it in other threads, I think he'll go for a beefed up "Kane deal". My suggestion is:

To New York Rangers:
To Calgary Flames:
- Mats Zuccarello

I know some Rangers fans dislike it, but frankly I am not too fond of it myself. Which is why I feel it is probably pretty fair.

Could be or the Rangers could offer up a pick themselves. NYR will prefer quality of picks instead of quantity.

I.e. I am sure Gorton would rather do a player + a 2nd for a 1st than a player for a 2nd.

Ultimately, Gorton will also move players in typical rental deals -- but if he can its believed that he will want to expand things too. Just to get more quality than quantity. The Nash trade grew last season for example. The McD moved ended up involving a hockey trade of JT Miller for Namestnikov more or less. Its of course much harder to get a deal like that done, but his first option is probably to deal like Zucc + a younger asset like Pionk/TDA/another pick for one more attractive young asset.

Reactions: bernmeister

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Could be or the Rangers could offer up a pick themselves. NYR will prefer quality of picks instead of quantity.

I.e. I am sure Gorton would rather do a player + a 2nd for a 1st than a player for a 2nd.

Ultimately, Gorton will also move players in typical rental deals -- but if he can its believed that he will want to expand things too. Just to get more quality than quantity. The Nash trade grew last season for example. The McD moved ended up involving a hockey trade of JT Miller for Namestnikov more or less. Its of course much harder to get a deal like that done, but his first option is probably to deal like Zucc + a younger asset like Pionk/TDA/another pick for one more attractive young asset.
If Zucc is looking for a semi-long term home on a good team, all Gorton would need to do is let us talk to Zucc first to negotiate to basically fusrangua the first round pick.

As for your suggestion, I don't dislike it, but all I know is I hear every member of our management team repeat that our first isn't available for a rental, it has to be a piece with term

Honestly, I can't help but wonder if we've asked about Kreider too

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
Already a thread on this.
I think it's beaten to death.

Flames won't use a first rounder for Zucc, Rangers fans don't want to move him without one.

I still don't see many teams lining up to spend firsts for Zucc. Not when a first can get you a good player with term.

As much as I don’t want to move Fro before the end of season, if he wants out I could see him as a chip to decrease the price

NYR can flip him next deadline or in the summer for an additional pick. Not sure how much value he adds though, probably only that of like a 3rd round pick. Which is why I’d rather keep him unless he really wants out

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
As much as I don’t want to move Fro before the end of season, if he wants out I could see him as a chip to decrease the price

NYR can flip him next deadline or in the summer for an additional pick. Not sure how much value he adds though, probably only that of like a 3rd round pick. Which is why I’d rather keep him unless he really wants out
I agree with this completely.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014

To New York Rangers:
To Calgary Flames:
- Mats Zuccarello

A base of Mangiapane (or a prospect of his caliber) and some variation of those picks is probably exactly what we’ll see. That’s a good offer.

DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Mar 10, 2011
0 interest in the Flames first this year. Late pick, weak bottom half of the round. B level prospect and a 3rd and Zucc is yours

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Thank you, I appreciate that. So many just want to argue lol
I think delaying the year of the picks benefits both teams in the long run, which is why it’s more likely. It’ll help the Rangers set themselves up for next year’s draft as well, while allowing the Flames to add a decent prospect to a shallow pool this summer.

Another interesting option would be Sveningsson

Reactions: kevrondl

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Without trading the first, or having a 2nd, it becomes difficult.
this^.
and remember, lots of bidders with a 1st available.

Something like the Kane deal then? 1st is conditional upon re-signing, + some other pieces obviously
no, there has to be a step up with a competitive bid
that is a 1st +
the better the 1st and the better the +, the better your chances of being successful bid

the only thing you can do
is throw in a sweetener of some kind
if a trading partner took Smith, for example, that would go a large way vs other compensation
now I understand you already have a glut at D so that is not an easy fit for you, but that is an example

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad