Rumor: Flames in the market for a defenceman

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
How can the Flames bring ins defenseman when they have no cap? Are they just looking for a body, because they can probably get a league minimum type guy to sign. I don't see how a trade happens, but I'd offer up Russell for Frolik, or Benning for a pick.

How kind of you to offer up Russell, who is a cap dump signed for an additional year, for Frolik. In what way does that solve Calgary's cap situation you speak of.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I don't see why Calgary doesn't just pick up a UFA like Joe Morrow who is an Alberta boy. I would think he could be had for a one year league minimum contract. Their top six is strong enough as is with maybe Kylington needing some more seasoning in the AHL. He is fine as a # 6 or 7. Morrow's contract would be close to Valimaaki's AAV, so while he is on IR it wouldn't impact their cap situation

The only thing Calgary may want to do here is get two birds stoned at once (hah), and move someone like Frolik to go contract-contract and clear up some space in general. The problem is there seems to be a disconnect of what someone like Frolik is worth by this board.

Guys like Morrow, Petrovic, etc are still in the market and would likely take two-way deals if required. If Tre is looking to make a trade, he's going to do well, he normally does.

Outside of that, Calgary's not paying a premium for your garbage.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Juuso Valimaki injury leaves Flames with multiple questions

“Oliver (Kylington) had a really good camp for us (last year),” Treliving said. “When Juuso went down with the ankle injury, Oliver stepped in and really played the majority of the year on our team. He’s a year older, he’s had another summer, he’s a year stronger and wiser and all those things. This certainly is a great opportunity for Oliver.

“You look at young (Alexander) Yelesin, we signed a guy in Brandon Davidson who battled some injuries last year. So internally there’s opportunity.”

"What external options are there?

That was certainly an interesting revelation from Treliving, but you can understand where he’s coming from. The Flames feel they aren’t as deep on the back end as they were for most of last season, especially with Valimaki out for the foreseeable future.

“We’ll be trying to look under all the rocks here to see what may be available to us,” Treliving said. “From the UFA market, there’s certainly a number of players still looking for opportunities. There’s a number of players out there that we’ve stayed in touch with and continue to talk about.

“It’s probably safe to assume discussions specifically on our blueline now will pick up. We’ll talk internally with our staff and our people in the office, our scouting staff, and look at how do we address this now.”

Calgary has one fundamental issue, though: they aren’t blessed with cap space. With Matthew Tkachuk still unsigned, the Flames can’t be adding much salary right now, if any at all. The “take our bad contract” tweets I’ve gotten over the last few days(Cody Ceci, Kris Russell, Jack Johnson, among others) have been amusing, but not based in reality.

Instead, Calgary is likely looking at a reasonably priced (under $1 million) UFA defenceman or a PTO if they’re going down that road. The trade route, on the other hand, would have to see a bigger contract like Michael Frolik go the other way, likely with a sweetener, in exchange for a blueliner with a smaller cap hit. I’m not confident that’s in the cards, though, because I feel they would have moved Frolik already if there was a market.

The loss of a five-six defenceman isn’t the difference between a title and missing the playoffs. That’s where Valimaki was going to slot this season, which is why this loss in a bubble isn’t catastrophic. In saying that, the Flames have taken a hit to their defensive depth in recent weeks. Let’s see if they look to supplement from the outside or put their internal depth to the test."

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Correct me if I'm wrong, but you're totally incorrect here.

A player's contract can only be retained to a max of 50%. If NYR retains half, you cannot retain again. If NYR retains 40% then Flames can only retain the remaining 10% later.

But that's also moot because our ownership for whatever reason does not allow salary retention.

I am certain retention may take place twice on a given player during an existing contract.

I am not 111% sure about the max retention.
It's def 50% max on the first retention; I THINK it is also another 50% of the remainder.
I don't believe it is max total of 50% on each betw both
I think they view trade as a separate transaction, each one up to 50% separately.

I'm sure we can get a ruling, I find @mouser always informative and reliable on these items.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Correct me if I'm wrong, but you're totally incorrect here.

A player's contract can only be retained to a max of 50%. If NYR retains half, you cannot retain again. If NYR retains 40% then Flames can only retain the remaining 10% later.

But that's also moot because our ownership for whatever reason does not allow salary retention.

Total retention can go up to 75%—50% by the initial team and 50% of 50% by the second team.

We’ve seen at least a couple cases of player trades where salary was retained twice for more then a total of 50% in Rob Scuderi and Devan Dubnyk.

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
Is this whole rumour of wanting to trade for a D so that Calgary can to try and move out similar salary player in the deal so they have cap space to sign Tkachuk?

Just offer Gardiner or Hutton a cheap 1 year prove it deal. Or 1 of the other many D who are still unsigned 6 weeks after FA

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Is this whole rumour of wanting to trade for a D so that Calgary can to try and move out similar salary player in the deal so they have cap space to sign Tkachuk?

Just offer Gardiner or Hutton a cheap 1 year prove it deal. Or 1 of the other many D who are still unsigned 6 weeks after FA

A one year Gardiner “prove it deal” should still be at least $3m+.

Ledge And Dairy

Flames aren't going to spend more than 1M x1 year on a guy they already have Kylington who played perfectly fine last year

Reactions: Slomo

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

It's because the injury strips us of 100% of our depth. Currently with Valimaki out, it would force Davidson to be our #7 and then any injury would see one of Valiev, Lerby, Yelesin or Neilsen getting recalled. Since we are already looking to move Frolik to increase cap space, it does make sense to try and combine the two things and add a bottom pair guy, while saving some cap. But yes, a FA is absolutely an option too, so would a trade involving a pick for a depth guy.

Sep 13, 2009
Should've signed Oscar Fantenberg, you know, the depth defenceman we gave up a 4th rounder for at the deadline? Or Brett Kulak, you know, the 5/6 guy we gifted Montreal for free?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad