Rumor: Flames in the market for a defenceman

caley

Aug 19, 2006
twitter.com
In the meantime, and with training camp opening one month from today, the Flames now have a hole on the blueline that the GM is actively looking to fill.

"We're going to be in the market," Treliving said of a possible trade or free-agent signing to help shore up the left side. "The good news is that we have some young guys that we think have taken some steps, but we're certainly going to be looking at potential options on our blueline."
'IT'S TERRIBLE NEWS'

This comes after it was announced that Flames d-man Juuso Valimaki tore his ACL this past weekend requiring surgery and is out long-term

Reactions: BHD

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Maybe they can wait for an injury and trade TJ Brodie to the flames lol.

Probably some meh depth player who plays in the AHL as a #8.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
What's old, is new again... Sign Phaneuf at league minimum, and perhaps he can fill in until such time as Valimaki is back, then you can send him to the minors. Ducks, runs for cover.

Reactions: uncleben and Slomo

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
i hear the defensively challenged Ristolainen is available ! ;)....though he won't be cheap.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
What's old, is new again... Sign Phaneuf at league minimum, and perhaps he can fill in until such time as Valimaki is back, then you can send him to the minors. Ducks, runs for cover.

I... actually wouldn’t mind? It would be kinda cool if we saw neon dion come back to Calgary for one more go at it.

Reactions: simeon van loon

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I... actually wouldn’t mind?

In all seriousness... it isn't a terrible idea... it's going to have to be someone at, or very near league minimum... you just don't have the cap space to do something else. Given there are a number of LHD unsigned, might as well pick one up, instead of wasting assets on a trade, for a temporary solution. Unless it's nine months, and then we are talking about a one year rental... even then, you aren't getting much in a trade, for someone at minimum level contract...

I Like Eich

Oct 15, 2014
Hutton would not be bad to sign if it's for 1 year and cheap... I don't think CGY is going to be looking to make any major moves until Tkachuk is situated. That sucks about Valimaki

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Likely looking for a bottom pair lefty who can play some PK. Claesson or McDonald are my guesses. I still think Hutton gets around 2M which will be out of their price range.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad