Rumor: Flames in the market for a defenceman

Zeke and luther

Aug 14, 2019
Kinda surprised Pysyk hasn’t been moved yet, pretty sure he’s available.
there are not many teams in the market for a bottom pairing defender who makes just south of 3 mil. besides the avs, who could realistically use and afford him?

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Canes offer: Faulk ($1833333 retained) for Brodie and a 2020 5th. Both are pending UFAs, but with the Flames needing to re-sign Tkachuk, Canes offer salary retainment in exchange for a Day 2 lottery ticket.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
Canes offer: Faulk ($1833333 retained) for Brodie and a 2020 5th. Both are pending UFAs, but with the Flames needing to re-sign Tkachuk, Canes offer salary retainment in exchange for a Day 2 lottery ticket.

Can't see the Canes being interested, plus the Canes aren't in much better cap shape than the Flames. Only $2.5m available, and Justin Williams still to sign (I believe he's coming back for one more round). Shouldn't be a problem fitting in Willie as the Canes can structure a contract with easily attainable performance bonuses (bonusi?:)) which would come out of next years cap. But, no room to eat more of another teams cap.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Canes aren't in much better cap shape than the Flames. Only $2.5m available, and Justin Williams still to sign (I believe he's coming back for one more round). Willy shouldn't be a problem fitting in, as the Canes can structure a contract with easily attainable performance bonuses (bonusi?:)) which would come out of next years cap. But, no room to eat more of another teams cap

They are in better cap shape, actually, because Aho is signed and ready to go. With Willy's contract likely to be bonus-laden (Foegele & Wallmark won't be too difficult to sign next year, so why not use the bonuses?), why not get a draft pick for salary retainment if Faulk is too difficult to sign?

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
They are in better cap shape, actually, because Aho is signed and ready to go. With Willy's contract likely to be bonus-laden (Foegele & Wallmark won't be too difficult to sign next year, so why not use the bonuses?), why not get a draft pick for salary retainment if Faulk is too difficult to sign?

Canes may be in better shape, but they still aren't in any shape to eat cap at this point. As is they'll need to use (and roll over) most of the allowable performance bonuses to sign Williams. You don't think he'd play again for $2.5m do you? And Faulk, an alternate captain, was an integral part of last year's surprise run. Why would anyone gamble with team chemistry to swap the same position, and especially for a 5th round pick? I think you need to look elsewhere, lol.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Ok, so who exactly does he replace on our left side? Not Gio, not Hanifin, not Kylington, and not Valimaki next year when we are still stuck with his crappy contract and Vali is healthy. Now lets assume he can play the off side. who does he replace? Not Brodie, not Hammer, and not Andersson. Oof looks like a bad match. Flames aren't paying 4M for a player that won't get more than 30 starts. we already got rid of Neal because of that
He can play both sides. Really though, just giving you guys some options on the topic at hand. If there's no fit, no big deal on our end.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
If it's true TB is in the Priskie sweepstakes, would there be any interest in Brayden Coburn?

simeon van loon

Aug 14, 2019
I personally think that the flames as it stands have 7.75M in cap space to sign mangiapagne and tkachuk, which is obviously not enough to sign both those players so how would we have enough to sign a defenseman? Obviously treliving said "we will look externally and internally for a replacement for valimaki" In saying that I think the flames will be just using Oliver kylington and Brendan Davidson as the 6th defenseman. But I would like to see a trade be done before the season starts just to clear some cap

Reactions: Nanuuk

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
I personally think that the flames as it stands have 7.75M in cap space to sign mangiapagne and tkachuk, which is obviously not enough to sign both those players so how would we have enough to sign a defenseman? Obviously treliving said "we will look externally and internally for a replacement for valimaki" In saying that I think the flames will be just using Oliver kylington and Brendan Davidson as the 6th defenseman. But I would like to see a trade be done before the season starts just to clear some cap
If Tkachuk is willing to sign a bridge, then 7.75m might be enough both

Reactions: simeon van loon

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Perhaps something around Frolik and TVR? Or could Fleury be moved for futures?

I can't see Carolina being interested in Frolik. Williams may decide to come back for another season. They'll hold that roster spot and cap space for him.

I still like Fleury to win the 3rd pairing LD spot, but if he doesn't, maybe he becomes available.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I can't see Carolina being interested in Frolik. Williams may decide to come back for another season. They'll hold that roster spot and cap space for him.

I still like Fleury to win the 3rd pairing LD spot, but if he doesn't, maybe he becomes available.

Sure we will do Frolik for Fleury.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->