GDT: Flames @ Hurricanes Feb 3 @ Noon SNET360

Status
Not open for further replies.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
The Flames fell apart when they traded Andrew Ference, a #5 defenseman.

And of course you hope that, iit' your shtick, you hate smitha d seek out reasons to complain about him.

Sorry, but he's not an nhler anymore. Nothing against him personally, but if he was 10 years younger, he would be on his way to Europe. Carolina is burying darling in the minors, and he wasn't all that much worse last year than smith this year. If you think this team falls apart over someone who won't be back next year, then good for you.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Sorry, but he's not an nhler anymore. Nothing against him personally, but if he was 10 years younger, he would be on his way to Europe. Carolina is burying darling in the minors, and he wasn't all that much worse last year than smith this year. If you think this team falls apart over someone who won't be back next year, then good for you.
Keep telling yourself this.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Keep telling yourself what you believe, to each his own.
Non-NHL goalies don't win as many games as Smith does. But don't let something as insignificant as facts get in the way of your terrible opinion

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga

There's a lot more possibilities than just a) Flames have great team chemistry, and b) Flames fall apart. It's not too much to assume that team chemistry would suffer from Smith leaving. At the very least we dont know

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Non-NHL goalies don't win as many games as Smith does. But don't let something as insignificant as facts get in the way of your terrible opinion

Most goalies don't play with a team scoring 3.75 goals a game. Rittich has solid numbers and has 4 regulation loses in 28 starts and was an AHL backup last year. But no, keep going lol.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
I'm gonna make an highly controversial statement: it is possible at the same time to think that Rittich has been absolutely great this season and is currently Flames' undisputed #1 goalie, and think that Smith gets too much hate here when considering his performances lately.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Most goalies don't play with a team scoring 3.75 goals a game. Rittich has solid numbers and has 4 regulation loses in 28 starts and was an AHL backup last year. But no, keep going lol.
Rittich was the AHL backup for maybe a month last year, But please continue manipulating things as always

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I'm gonna make an highly controversial statement: it is possible at the same time to think that Rittich has been absolutely great this season and is currently Flames' undisputed #1 goalie, and think that Smith gets too much hate here when considering his performances lately.
That's all most of us are saying.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Rittich was the AHL backup for maybe a month last year, But please continue manipulating things as always

Lol. I never thought there would be somebody here more ridiculous as okg, but your coming pretty close right now. If you think an 888SV% is decent, then good for you. If you think a player who openly bitches about the team effort after he loses is important to our locker room chemistry, then good for you. If you don't like the fact I disagree with your opinions, block my profile and be done with it. It's an open board, and I have every right to express my opinions.

Otherwise, I don't think this argument is going anywhere and is just gonna turn into a pissing match. Let's just agree to disagree and be done with it.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Lol. I never thought there would be somebody here more ridiculous as okg, but your coming pretty close right now. If you think an 888SV% is decent, then good for you. If you think a player who openly *****es about the team effort after he loses is important to our locker room chemistry, then told for you. If you don't like the fact I disagree with your opinions, block my profile and be done with it.

Otherwise, I don't think this argument is going anywhere.
You do know overall stats don't tell the entire story right? You know like a 15 year veteran using smaller equipment than ever before. Smith was absolutely f***ing terrible to start the year. But anyone that actually watches games and is at all objective can see Smith has been better since mid-November, Not great, but better.

Reactions: Kahvi

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
Smith is ok as a backup, would still prefer an upgrade. More importantly, any word on Hamonic?

solid win, it is a team we match up well against, much more polished effort overall.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
You do know overall stats don't tell the entire story right? You know like a 15 year veteran using smaller equipment than ever before. Smith was absolutely ****ing terrible to start the year. But anyone that actually watches games and is at all objective can see Smith has been better since mid-November, Not great, but better.
To further emphasize my point.

Since November 15th compared to goalies with 5 starts or more (there is 66), Smith is:
  • Tied for 23rd in wins
  • 46th in SV%
  • 26th in GAA
Seems to be that is not too bad for a backup, his SV% needs to improve still but he's winning games and his GAA is only 0.05 worse than Rittich.

In that time period he has both a better GAA & Save% than Mrazek, Pickard, Jones, Stalock, Bobrovsky, Gregoriev, Dell, Varlamov, Grubauer, Lundqvist, Kinkaid, Stolarz,. Niemi, Talbot, Luongo, Crawford, Ward, Neuvirth, Johnson & Schneider. Not bad for a guy that "isn't an NHL goalie"

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015
I don't think for one second this team should waste valuable assets for a goaltender, but people always complains about "cherry-picking" unless there's actual cherry-picking going on.
Since November 10th Mike's line:

Mike Smith

GamesWinsLossesSave %GAA
15​
9​
4​
0.902​
2.67​
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
That places Smith with other big names mentioned in trade bait. Pekka Rinne (.904), Dubnyk (.905), Bob (.897), and Martin Jones (.897)

Many want to see Bob here and he is nowhere near the team guy Mike Smith is. None of the guys mentioned in trades are as good in the dressing room as Mike is. That and don't forget about Holtby last year who had a similar .902 save percentage. Where was Graubauer in the playoffs and this season???????????????????????????????
I dunno what's so cool about the tenth day of the blandest month. He's also 3-3, .878 Save%, 3.43 GAA since December 10th.

Reactions: Dack

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary

Rittich being Gillies' backup was a contrived situation. He outplayed Gillies all year but never got the starts. Then when Gillies crapped the bed in the playoffs Rittich came in and nearly came back to win the series, ultimately losing on a breakaway in sudden death winner-takes-all overtime where one of the AHL D screwed up on a 1D 4F power play. There was zero doubt even two months into the 2016-17 season that Rittich was a heckuva goalie.

This team is doing everything to prop up Jon Gillies even while he has been visibly outplayed by Rittich, Schneider and Parsons. McDonald would probably outplay Gillies too given the opportunity.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Rittich being Gillies' backup was a contrived situation. He outplayed Gillies all year but never got the starts. Then when Gillies crapped the bed in the playoffs Rittich came in and nearly came back to win the series, ultimately losing on a breakaway in sudden death winner-takes-all overtime where one of the AHL D screwed up on a 1D 4F power play. There was zero doubt even two months into the 2016-17 season that Rittich was a heckuva goalie.

This team is doing everything to prop up Jon Gillies even while he has been visibly outplayed by Rittich, Schneider and Parsons. McDonald would probably outplay Gillies too given the opportunity.

Hope to god he isn't anywhere near the big club next year. Seriously, idk how anyone can be as bad as he's been this year in the AHL and still get starts on a regular basis.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015

Wow now, let's not go that far.

It is a shame how Gillies has developed though. Coming out of Providence he had such high potential, but he hasn't lived up to any of it. Really hoping Parsons can get going in the next couple years here.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Wow now, let's not go that far.

It is a shame how Gillies has developed though. Coming out of Providence he had such high potential, but he hasn't lived up to any of it. Really hoping Parsons can get going in the next couple years here.

Don't know what the hell happened to him. Looked really solid in 16-17 and has regressed a lot since. Parsons is still really raw, but I feel good about him.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Wow, we don't play until Thursday again? Crazy. This not playing stuff could hurt us. Hopefully not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad