GDT: Flames @ Hurricanes Feb 3 @ Noon SNET360

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turning Mangiapanese

Jun 18, 2011
Gotta say some of the penalty calls against the Canes were pretty iffy tonight. But I'll take it.
Aho is a very clutch player. Crap result for Mrazek, dude battled hard all night. I want Ferly back for the ploffs.
Our 1st line was MIA but depth came through.
Andersson was shaky, Kylington gets better all the time. Prout I didn't really notice (a good thing?).

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
They're essentially the 2012-2015 Kings without Jonathan Quick or Jeff Carter. They even have Justin Williams who is somehow still pretty good.

That Kings team would rag doll this Canes squad, that team was built on all heart and physicality; this Canes team is built like... I don’t even know, butter soft mediocrity without much top end talent outside of Aho.

It goes to show time and time again, that you can funnel everything to the net; Corsi the f*** out of teams, and still not produce based on limited talent of the franchise. They’re essentially that 5-7th D, 10-13th forward that everyone thinks is special; but truly, isn’t.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I so enjoy watching games that Rittich plays as compared to the ones that Smith plays. I know Rittich isn't going to stop everything but I'm totally confident that he'll stop the ones he should and stop most of the ones he shouldn't. With Smith I'm on the edge of my seat all game long and actually praying that the Flames block or redirect as many shots as possible before Smith gets a chance to play them. Maybe its just me but I have absolutely zero confidence in Smith and 100% confidence in Rittich.

I thoroughly enjoyed watching this game and having BSD in net was a huge part of my enjoyment and comfort level.

What can I say. With Rittich in net I believe the Flames can win every game they play. I can't honestly say that about Smith.

Reactions: Janks

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
I don't get Lindholm. who knows what happened behind the scene, but their fans didn't give him a raw deal when he was there, their coach from last year isn't just gone, he's on our team now and their old GM is gone too.

Maybe his old teammates were *******s, who knows.
They booed him everytime he got on the jumbotron. Dude gives 5 years of his life, blood sweat and tears to that team. Management didn’t want to pay him and trades him, than the fans boo him when he gets back. He earned that clap as far as I’m concerned, I loved it.

And it’s pretty hilarious seeing some fans saying he should be prepared to face them next year :laugh:, there is not ONE (minus Ferland who’ll most likely be gone July 1st) player on that team I would fear.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
I so enjoy watching games that Rittich plays as compared to the ones that Smith plays. I know Rittich isn't going to stop everything but I'm totally confident that he'll stop the ones he should and stop most of the ones he shouldn't. With Smith I'm on the edge of my seat all game long and actually praying that the Flames block or redirect as many shots as possible before Smith gets a chance to play them. Maybe its just me but I have absolutely zero confidence in Smith and 100% confidence in Rittich.

I thoroughly enjoyed watching this game and having BSD in net was a huge part of my enjoyment and comfort level.

What can I say. With Rittich in net I believe the Flames can win every game they play. I can't honestly say that about Smith.

@Rubi this is not just directed to you but this near constant diatribe of how Smith sucks and Rittich rules has completely gotten out of hand. In the NHL today you can not play one starter 70 plus games and expect the goalie to take you to the cup. Back-ups need to play and the coach will pick and choose those starts.

Many of you still have it in your head that there is a competition on who the starter in Calgary is. There is no doubt Rittich is the #1 and has been the undisputed #1 since November. Smith has been putting in solid starts with the exception of the Boston game and we should all be satisfied that our back-up has turned things around since the end of October. Smith has gone from a sub .500 win percentage to 4 games over 500.

It is time some perspective be brought to this conversation. Rittich will play 2 out of 3 to 3 out of 4 of the remaining games as has been the trend since November. Smith is a quality back-up at this point and as long as he maintains a winning record we should be satisfied.

Mike Smith is a team first guy so why insist on dragging him through the muck when what you want has already been decided for 2 months.

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
@Rubi this is not just directed to you but this near constant diatribe of how Smith sucks and Rittich rules has completely gotten out of hand. In the NHL today you can not play one starter 70 plus games and expect the goalie to take you to the cup. Back-ups need to play and the coach will pick and choose those starts.

Many of you still have it in your head that there is a competition on who the starter in Calgary is. There is no doubt Rittich is the #1 and has been the undisputed #1 since November. Smith has been putting in solid starts with the exception of the Boston game and we should all be satisfied that our back-up has turned things around since the end of October. Smith has gone from a sub .500 win percentage to 4 games over 500.

It is time some perspective be brought to this conversation. Rittich will play 2 out of 3 to 3 out of 4 of the remaining games as has been the trend since November. Smith is a quality back-up at this point and as long as he maintains a winning record we should be satisfied.

Mike Smith is a team first guy so why insist on dragging him through the muck when what you want has already been decided for 2 months.
We don't agree too often, but you're bang on here

Reactions: SKRusty

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
League average is 0.908. Smith can't even manage that.

The "debate" isn't over who's the starter. That hasn't been a concern for months. The only question is whether the Flames should acquire an actual backup by the deadline.

Reactions: Mr Snrub

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009

Oh I agree with you that you can't rely wholly on the #1 goalie to play all the regular season games particularly if you want to go far in the playoffs which could very well mean playing another 24 games if you go all the way.

My problem is that I just have zero confidence in Smith and I usually feel that when we win with Smith in net its usually in spite of instead of because of. Thats just the way I feel... right or wrong.

I will be ecstatic if Treliving picks up another backup goalie by the TDL at the latest, and hopefully before. Everyone, Flames fans and non Flames fans alike, acknowledges that the Flame biggest weakness is their goal tending and when they say that they aren't talking about Rittich. I just don't believe that Smith can get it done when we need him to.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
League average is 0.908. Smith can't even manage that.

The "debate" isn't over who's the starter. That hasn't been a concern for months. The only question is whether the Flames should acquire an actual backup by the deadline.

Since November 10th Mike's line:

Mike Smith

GamesWinsLossesSave %GAA
15​
9​
4​
0.902​
2.67​
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
That places Smith with other big names mentioned in trade bait. Pekka Rinne (.904), Dubnyk (.905), Bob (.897), and Martin Jones (.897)

Many want to see Bob here and he is nowhere near the team guy Mike Smith is. None of the guys mentioned in trades are as good in the dressing room as Mike is. That and don't forget about Holtby last year who had a similar .902 save percentage. Where was Graubauer in the playoffs and this season???????????????????????????????

Last edited:
Reactions: 1989 and Ace Rimmer

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
He's mocking them using their junior level celebrations after wins. Like, when you're playing duck duck goose after wins and playing pre-school games when you win games, you deserve to get mocked when you lose.

Lindholm is legit the greatest troll ever. Brilliant on so many levels.

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
Since November 10th Mike's line:

Mike Smith

GamesWinsLossesSave %GAA
15​
9​
4​
0.902​
2.67​
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
That places Smith with other big names mentioned in trade bait. Pekka Rinne (.904), Dubnyk (.905), Bob (.897), and Martin Jones (.897)

Many want to see Bob here and he is nowhere near the team guy Mike Smith is. None of the guys mentioned in trades are as good in the dressing room as Mike is. That and don't forget about Holtby last year who had a similar .902 save percentage. Where was Graubauer in the playoffs and this season???????????????????????????????
In addition to all of this, Smith is a mentor to Rittich, he goes out of his way to support a kid that has literally stolen his job. That is high end character which is something teams look for in a backup as half their job is supporting their teammates.

Reactions: SKRusty

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
In addition to all of this, Smith is a mentor to Rittich, he goes out of his way to support a kid that has literally stolen his job. That is high end character which is something teams look for in a backup as half their job is supporting their teammates.
Too many fans simply look at the numbers and fail to recognize how important the social dynamics of a locker-room play out. IMO the team (players) would be upset if Smith were moved for anyone less than Price, Holtby , Fleury or someone of that pedigree. Somebody with actual Stanley Cups.

I have not seen this level of team chemistry in Calgary since the 2003-04 season and it is impossible to manufacture. It is organic... it has to grow between the players and plugging in some number into the equation is not a fix. 99% of player moves done between now and the trade deadline will be bad moves. History shows that time and again since the cap was instituted.

It took over a year for the Avs to win Ray Bourque... One of the best d-men in NHL history.

Be careful what you wish for.

Reactions: Mr Snrub

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
Too many fans simply look at the numbers and fail to recognize how important the social dynamics of a locker-room play out. IMO the team (players) would be upset if Smith were moved for anyone less than Price, Holtby , Fleury or someone of that pedigree. Somebody with actual Stanley Cups.

I have not seen this level of team chemistry in Calgary since the 2003-04 season and it is impossible to manufacture. It is organic... it has to grow between the players and plugging in some number into the equation is not a fix. 99% of player moves done between now and the trade deadline will be bad moves. History shows that time and again since the cap was instituted.

It took over a year for the Avs to win Ray Bourque... One of the best d-men in NHL history.

That is why I don't think they are necessarily looking for a goaltender. It is also why I think that is why we are either looking for depth rentals or someone with term.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary

Yeah, because a few people here know how a lockeroom is run. Remember the rumours of Neal telling smith to make a f***ing save? I don't think he's as important as you think, and it's not like he will be around next year anyway regardless.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary

That is why I don't think they are necessarily looking for a goaltender. It is also why I think that is why we are either looking for depth rentals or someone with term.

I've been saying this since the start of the year lol.

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
Yeah, because a few people here know how a lockeroom is run. Remember the rumours of Neal telling smith to make a ****ing save? I don't think he's as important as you think, and it's not like he will be around next year anyway regardless.
That literally means nothing. Those two guys are extremely good friends, frustration boiled over, that's it, that's all.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Yeah, because a few people here know how a lockeroom is run. Remember the rumours of Neal telling smith to make a ****ing save? I don't think he's as important as you think, and it's not like he will be around next year anyway regardless.

@SKRusty pretty much explained it. First, I dont think lockerroom is run by anyone. There's more than 20 guys there, each having some relationship to other (from network theory point of view A can hate B while B likes A and so on), and that creates a very complex and dynamic system. Remove one meaningless part and everything changes, or nothing. You cant really tell beforehand. But the Flames lockerroom is working, and Smith is part of that. And even if he most likely isnt here next year, he is there this year, and you really dont want to mess too much what going on.

That being said, you are correct that we dont know what's going on there. Including you, so you cant say he's not significant piece of lockerroom

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
That literally means nothing. Those two guys are extremely good friends, frustration boiled over, that's it, that's all.

Neither does the whole "it'll distrust the locker room" jest either. This team isn't gonna fall apart if we trade a random fourth liner or our struggling backup, and honestly, if the team is that fragile, then that's just too bad. If the team had a chance to get rid of smith and get a better backup for cheap, I'd hope they take advantage.

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
@SKRusty pretty much explained it. First, I dont think lockerroom is run by anyone. There's more than 20 guys there, each having some relationship to other (from network theory point of view A can hate B while B likes A and so on), and that creates a very complex and dynamic system. Remove one meaningless part and everything changes, or nothing. You cant really tell beforehand. But the Flames lockerroom is working, and Smith is part of that. And even if he most likely isnt here next year, he is there this year, and you really dont want to mess too much what going on.

That being said, you are correct that we dont know what's going on there. Including you, so you cant say he's not significant piece of lockerroom
Actually we do know Smith and Rittich are close. We also know Smith goes out of his way to teach Dave. At this point it's pretty obvious Smith is a good teammate.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Actually we do know Smith and Rittich are close. We also know Smith goes out of his way to teach Dave. At this point it's pretty obvious Smith is a good teammate.

I was talking more on a general level that we, as outsiders, do not know whats going on. Maybe some bits

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
Neither does the whole "it'll distrust the locker room" jest either. This team isn't gonna fall apart if we trade a random fourth liner or our struggling backup, and honestly, if the team is that frangile, then that's just too bad. If the team had a chance to get rid of smith and get a better backup for cheap, I'd hope they take advantage.
The Flames fell apart when they traded Andrew Ference, a #5 defenseman.

And of course you hope that, iit' your shtick, you hate smitha d seek out reasons to complain about him.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

As someone who would be very pro to trading Smith, this is a really good point that I had not considered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->