That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
raw

Can't get enough of this.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Tim Harrison is a guy who is really intriguing to me. After seemingly being drafted just randomly, it seems like he's a guy with a lot of skill and untapped potential. That the coaches thought to put him on a line with Johnny also speaks about the kind of player he is, IMO.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Tim Harrison is a guy who is really intriguing to me. After seemingly being drafted just randomly, it seems like he's a guy with a lot of skill and untapped potential. That the coaches thought to put him on a line with Johnny also speaks about the kind of player he is, IMO.

I thought he was awesome at camp last year, an it looks like he's picking up where he left off. With luck, he'll get a slight increase in his role this year, but probably not too much because he mentioned in an interview that Colgate only lost a few players this season.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I thought he was awesome at camp last year, an it looks like he's picking up where he left off. With luck, he'll get a slight increase in his role this year, but probably not too much because he mentioned in an interview that Colgate only lost a few players this season.

If he is not a regular on his college team, his chance in the NHL is slim or none

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
If he is not a regular on his college team, his chance in the NHL is slim or none

Well, he does have two more years after this one to become a regular. As I understand it, generally it is your junior year that you absolutely have to impress. But regardless, if he keeps rising to the occasion every time he wears a Flaming C, we would be very foolish to cast him aside simply because of how his college coach perceives him.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Well, he does have two more years after this one to become a regular. As I understand it, generally it is your junior year that you absolutely have to impress. But regardless, if he keeps rising to the occasion every time he wears a Flaming C, we would be very foolish to cast him aside simply because of how his college coach perceives him.
3 years

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I don't count it this year yet, that is why there was confusion on my part :laugh:

Ah. Well, as far as I'm concerned, the draft and dev camp is the beginning of the 2014-15 season. Also, I had already been talking about Harrison's 2014-15 season because I was saying how he may not get much of an expanded role this season.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Ah. Well, as far as I'm concerned, the draft and dev camp is the beginning of the 2014-15 season. Also, I had already been talking about Harrison's 2014-15 season because I was saying how he may not get much of an expanded role this season.
fair enough, I'm kind of in limbo. Sometimes its this season, sometimes it's next :laugh:

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

He's really, really interesting for me.
The guy was great last camp, and a total dud in college (due to his role). Once again he's showing some stud-like capabilities in prospect camp; then again he'll probably dud it up in college.

Wouldn't it be weird if this guy went from like 5 points, to 7 points to like 35 in his third year? Still feel like Calgary knew what they were doing with this pick... there's obviously a reason he was even drafted.

marbsarebad

Jul 20, 2013
Olympia, WA
He's really, really interesting for me.
The guy was great last camp, and a total dud in college (due to his role). Once again he's showing some stud-like capabilities in prospect camp; then again he'll probably dud it up in college.

Wouldn't it be weird if this guy went from like 5 points, to 7 points to like 35 in his third year? Still feel like Calgary knew what they were doing with this pick... there's obviously a reason he was even drafted.

Just looking at his shootout goals he seems to have some slick hands, high IQ, great skating and a physical edge. I have no idea how he managed to only get 5 assists in college and how he didn't go higher in the draft. These development camps make him look like one of our top 10 prospects, but his numbers suggest otherwise. I really hope he pans out as solid power-forward that comes out of nowhere. He's got the personality that the Flames lack, and he fits the Burke model of truculence (with skill to boot). I just don't understand how a guy can look so drastically different in camp than in an actual league.

joeyabs

May 15, 2013
SoDoSoPa
Stud-like capabilities? I don't think I'm as high on him (Harrison) as most on here, but I think his style of game might translate better to the NHL. There isn't nearly the amount of shenanigans in college hockey. We don't really have anyone like him in the system.

Mr Lebowski

Go Flames
Feb 18, 2014
Toronto
Calgary Flames @NHLFlames
#Flames development camp concludes today after the final scrimmage takes place at @WinSportCanada this morning at 10 am

Calgary Flames @NHLFlames
We will be streaming the scrimmage live on CalgaryFlames.com & in the #Flames mobile app. @Fan960Steinberg will call the action!

KYCAKtZ.png

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Hope they're not grooming Steinberg to be a play-by-play guy.

Klimchuk, Gaudreau and Bennett looking good. Klimchuk has two goals; Red teams leads 2-0.

Can't tell if Jankowski or Sieloff are playing. Doesn't seem like they are.

Last edited:

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Hope they're not grooming Steinberg to be a play-by-play guy.

Klimchuk, Gaudreau and Bennett looking good. Klimchuk has two goals; Red teams leads 2-0.

Can't tell if Jankowski or Sieloff are playing.

I don't think so. There was a development camp article written yesterday which didn't say anything about those injured players playing. They quoted Janko as saying "it sucks."

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
I don't think so. There was a development camp article written yesterday which didn't say anything about those injured players playing. They quoted Janko as saying "it sucks."

Yeah, I haven't seen either of them, but it's been a lot of 4-on-4 and 3-on-3.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Hope they sign Tolkinen. Close enough to Tolkien; could have a LOTR theme one day.

Pretty goal by H.Smith there.

marbsarebad

Jul 20, 2013
Olympia, WA
Hope they sign Tolkinen. Close enough to Tolkien; could have a LOTR theme one day.

Pretty goal by H.Smith there.

A lot of pretty goals today. Didn't see any dirty goals, mostly good capitalization on good passes and skill goals.

Obviously Gaudreau looked like an NHLer, got knocked over once pretty easily, but was king of the court the rest of the time. Goalies must be afraid of him.

Klimchuk had a two goal game, has pretty obvious chemistry with Van Brabant, Gilmour and Arnold. Those four guys were the best players on team red today. Culkin had a nice goal, but the guys mentioned above just played real well together.

Smith plays a good team game, passes pretty well, protects the puck. Not a lot of skill there, but he sees the ice well.

Bennett was less noticeable today. He still played his 200 ft game, but he wasn't showing off his skill like Monday and there was a time where it looked like he gave up on defending a breakaway, which led to a goal. I'd blame the goalie more here, though, as Carr looked like he didn't even try to stop the shot.

Austin Carroll was the surprise of the scrimmage. He looked really, really good today. Good vision, nice skating, showed some skill, some physicality and made a real nice backhand pass to Klimchuk for his second goal. I bet it was just a good day, but it's good to know there is some skill there for a 7th rounder.

Agostino and Kulak played together today and they were a sight to see. Agostino never ever stops. There was a shift where he had at least 4 scoring opportunties and finally passes it to Kulak at the point where he made a beauty of a slapper into the net. They both showed that they are ready to go pro this year.

Eric Roy is starting to show why he fell so far in 2013. Not a lot of lateral movement, skating is pretty weak and not a lot of stick-skill for a self-described offensive D. Gilmour is looking to be the better of the two, but Roy has size on his side.

The Goalies were all "meh" today. Didn't see many flashes of brilliance. I know it's only a week after he was drafted, but McDonald doesn't really look like a second rounder. Hope he improves. He looked about the same level of skill as the three invited, undrafted goalies.

Overall, the scrimmage was more enjoyable today than Monday. Seemed we got to see more skill and the boys were trying harder. Even Kanzig looked like a professional defender. None of the invitees really scream professional, but I'm not on Flames management. Hope some of the injured guys heal up by training camp, looks like an exciting future, guys.

Mr Lebowski

Go Flames
Feb 18, 2014
Toronto
My thoughts

DAWSON LEEDHAL: Missed his penalty shot. Showed soft hands especially in the 2v2.

DAVID WOLF: Very physical and crashed the net often and with purpose.

KENNY AGOSTINO: Soft hands, and was very confident. Good shot and just made things happen. Very hard worker. He was a stand out.

JOHNNY GAUDREAU: Clear step above everyone else. Something happened everytime he stepped on the ice. Impressive backcheck and strength. He fought of a lot bigger guys. Had some problems when the other team established possession.

SAM BENNETT: Very good backchecker and great in his own end. Won almost all his battles in the corner. Underwhelmed on offence. Although he found space and was truculent on the puck.

HUNTER SMITH: Great cycle game. Almost impossible to push off the puck. Good backcheck and soft hands.

GRAYSON DOWNING: Best shot there. Lightning quick release, pinpoint accuracy and fires a laser.

TIM HARRISON: Great all around game. Was strong on the puck and an effective hitter. Good in the offensive zone.

BRETT KULAK: Very good running the offence. Good breakout passes and good passes in the offensive zone. Good holding the line and stopping people at his line. Hard to beat 1 on 1.

ERIC ROY: Good hands and a good passer. Low work ethic and weak on the puck and trying to push people off. Wanders in his own end.

CHRIS DIENES: Looked pretty good in the 2v2. Had some speed and backchecked.

DOUG CARR: Good rebound control.

SCOTT ALLEN: Slow and a very weak Ice Q.

BILL ARNOLD: Played very well. Him and Klimchuk were the best line. Great 200ft game. Good passes and a lot more speed. Yoou could notice the 20 lbs he took off. He protected the puck pretty well.

BRENDAN BELL: Had a good cycle game. Didn't go to the net. Used his size to protect the puck.

AUSTIN CARROLL: Good backcheck and good offensive instincts.

MORGAN KLIMCHUK: another standout. Great offensive instincts. Had great chemistry with Arnold. Klimchuk played a complete game. Soft hands, hard shot, quick release and some power as well. One of the best players in the scrimmage.

ADAM CHAPIE: Missed his penalty shot. Played a good cycle game.

ALLAN CARON: Was a hard hitter. He wasn't out of position often and never made the first move. Only defender that could handle Gaudreau. Apart from Gilmour.

RYAN CULKIN: Was physical and played pretty well. Sound defensively and kept plays going on offence.

JASON FRAM: No speed and no offence.

JOHN GILMOUR: Best defenceman there. Phenomenal skating and made no mistakes. Great passer and I didn't see on person beat him on a one on one. One of the biggest standouts.

KEEGAN KANZIG: He was a beast. Step above physically. Pushed people aside easily. Crushed people when he wasn't trying.

COLE HUGGINS: Best goalie IMO. Solid, moved side to side very well, quick glove and good rebound control.

MASON McDONALD: Very quick

5 BEST PLAYERS
1. Johnny Gaudreau
2. Bill Arnold
3. John Gilmour
4. Morgan Klimchuk
5. Kenny Agostino

2-5 was very close

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad