Pray for Flames
Jul 10, 2013
Bellingham, WA
Bennett's SO goal caught by some CPer http://youtu.be/OJjwVvnaGnM

raw

joeyabs

May 15, 2013
SoDoSoPa
What did u guys think of the scrimmage? I noticed Ferland doing some skating drills with Pettis beforehand which is good to see.

marbsarebad

Jul 20, 2013
Olympia, WA
Bennett really has some amazing positioning. He really looks like he plays the team game, whereas players like Johnny tend to use other players as a tool for their own needs (not that I'm complaining, Johnny is easily the best player on the ice there). Bennett just looks really controlled and mistake-free, almost got two goals in the scrimmage and set up a lot of scoring chances. The rest of the guys other than Johnny looked pretty similar, nothing really stood out besides maybe, Klimchuk, but at least we know we have a future top six (hopefully).

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Man, Bennett sure shows up for the games. Sucks at practice, but is clutch when it's crunch time. That's the kind of player we need :yo:

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Some quick notes that I took away from today.

Team Red
- Lukas Zedjl was the best forward in terms of the "walk on's". He has good size, decent skating ability and a nice shot.
- Klimchuk was not overly noticeable. Wanted to see more.
- Bill Arnold is a work horse. He never stops competing. He was paired with Klimchuk for most of the game and they had a few decent shifts offensively, but on the whole they did not create a ton.
- Adam Chapie was all over the puck today (in a good way). Looks smaller than the 6'1" he is listed at.
- Brandon Vuic is an awful skater. I can't imagine he has done anything to this point to warrant a further look.
- Jason Fram impressed me the most in terms of free agent defensemen. He has good instincts with the puck, solid skating ability and showed some good poise while under pressure defensively.
- Kanzig is actually a fairly decent skater and made a great defensive stop on Gaudreau one on one, but outside of one big hit at the very end of the game I expected more in terms of physicality (although I can't blame him considering its a scrimmage..)
- Bryce Van Brabant is good at most things..great at nothing. I could see him carving out a career as a fourth line energy player.
- John Gilmour was really good today. He appears to have high end mobility, good vision, and a solid first pass. His defensive positioning seemed fine but his size will limit his effectiveness at the next level somewhat.
- Ryan Culkin impressed. Very calm in his own end, solid breakout passes etc...did not see a ton out of him offensively
- Mason McDonald looked alright. I did not really pay all that much attention to the goaltending today.

Team White
- David Wolf was just alright. For someone of his age and experience I definitely wanted to notice him more often than I did, but again because this was a scrimmage I wouldn't exactly expect him to dazzle with his skillset.
- Kenny Agostino played as he usually does. Relentless pressure, good skating, hard work etc.. His offensive upside is limited as he does not have the best vision, but he does like to shoot the puck a ton.
- Johnny Gaudreau was the best player on the ice without question. I know I sound like a broken record but everytime he touches the puck something positive happens. I find it funny how some of his detractors point to his skating ability as a negative but they are out to lunch / trolling. His agility/ability to change direction instantly is unmatched by anyone I have ever seen live, and his top end speed is really impressive aswell. In addition to all of those things offensively what impresses me the most at the moment is his willingness to back check.
- I thought Sam Bennett was fantastic today. He possesses a very explosive first few steps and has the ability to maintain that speed while stick handling. I did not see a ton of grit out there today, and a few times he tried to be a little to cute off of the rush. His goal was a pure snipe which of course came via a gorgeous pass from Johhny Hockey. His shootout goal was also one of the highlights of the day.
- Hunter Smith was completely invisible for me. He had an awful shootout attempt as well. I can't give you much of a report on him at this point.
- Out of Valcourt, Bailey and Downing.. I was most drawn to Downing. Valcourt is a decent player but nothing to write home about.
- Harrison played well today. He can skate really well for someone his size and he showed some silky sweet hands in the shootout. I'm shocked he went 34 games without a goal last year even with a extremely limited role in Colgate.
- Brandon Hickey is an absolutely fantastic skater. He reads the play well on both ends of the rink, rarely makes mistakes defensively, and actually jumped up into the play on a few different occasions offensively.
- Brett Kulak can also skate at a very high level. His offensive talent is undeniable but his defensive game needs some work. He will need to continue to work on getting stronger on the puck.

My top three players today
1. Johhny Gaudreau
2. Sam Bennett
3. John Gilmour

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Bennett really has some amazing positioning. He really looks like he plays the team game, whereas players like Johnny tend to use other players as a tool for their own needs (not that I'm complaining, Johnny is easily the best player on the ice there). Bennett just looks really controlled and mistake-free, almost got two goals in the scrimmage and set up a lot of scoring chances. The rest of the guys other than Johnny looked pretty similar, nothing really stood out besides maybe, Klimchuk, but at least we know we have a future top six (hopefully).

I think folks are going to be surprised with Bennett's all around game. He's the type of player that can be kept off the score sheet and still end up having a heck of a hockey game because of the other areas of his game.

He's skilled enough to play a top six role, but his game is also well suited to ease him in as a bottom six player. He's tenacious on the fore check, he's good positionally, and he's dogged on the back check.

Only thing that may keep him out of the Flames lineup for 2014-15 is strength/weight. But if he hits the gym hard this summer and can come to camp at around 185 - 190 lbs., all bets are off.

joeyabs

May 15, 2013
SoDoSoPa
I felt sorry for Klimchuk today. You could tell he was trying hard but not getting many chances playing with a bunch of dutch oven types - really missing some skill in the forward group. Too bad Janko wasn't playing.

MonahanTheMan

Pray for Flames
Jul 10, 2013
Bellingham, WA
I felt sorry for Klimchuk today. You could tell he was trying hard but not getting many chances playing with a bunch of dutch oven types - really missing some skill in the forward group. Too bad Janko wasn't playing.

I really would've liked seeing what Klimchuk and Janko could've done on a line together, or specifically what Janko could've done with more offensive weaponry than what he gets in Providence.

AfricanHerbsman

May 4, 2010
There are so many guys that I am excited about, I think we could have a real good team in about 4-5 years, with just the guys that are currently in the system, with extras. Atleast int he forward ranks.

JG,SB,EP
SB,SM,JC
KA,MB,MK
DW,CK,HS

MJ, MG, LB, PB, MR, BVB, BA, MF

On D, little less confident all the guys will be NHLers in that time but there are some decent players there, just need more to turn out to be top 4

TJB,PS
TW,KR
BH,KK

Definately excited

Johnny hockey, Bennett, porier
Sven, mony, JC?
Kenny, MB?, klimchuk
Wolf, knight, smith

I can't for the life of me figure out who MB and JC are? Help the kid out here

Aug 3, 2010
Johnny hockey, Bennett, porier
Sven, mony, JC?
Kenny, MB?, klimchuk
Wolf, knight, smith

I can't for the life of me figure out who MB and JC are? Help the kid out here

JC is Jesus Christ
jesus-christ-king-02052-400x288.jpg

MB is Megabyte, the villain from ReBoot.
Megabyte_4.jpg

EDIT: On a side note, I think ReBoot avatars would also be a great theme for the rebuild. Maybe next season?

Last edited:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I can't stand when people just use initials. Its like they don't have the capacity to realize that hundreds of thousands if not millions of people have the same initials.

Last edited:

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
I vote for reboot. and i dont see colborne in the long term plans personally.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
I vote for reboot. and i dont see colborne in the long term plans personally.

Wouldn't count him out too soon. Seemed to start to heat up with Monahan at the end of the season. Maybe he could be a late bloomer, big frame and recently moved to the wing.

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
Wouldn't count him out too soon. Seemed to start to heat up with Monahan at the end of the season. Maybe he could be a late bloomer, big frame and recently moved to the wing.

Im definitely going to give him another couple seasons i just see us accumulating too many good players for him to fit in unless he shows some real grit.

TimMcClure*

Bennett's SO goal caught by some CPer http://youtu.be/OJjwVvnaGnM

Life long Sabres fan here. I spent the winter praying that we'd call this kid's name. I actually thought he was Tim Murray's guy so I was pretty downhearted when the pick was the other Sam. I'll now be following Bennett's career from afar, I hope he shines in pre-season and forces the Flames to keep him. He's almost a year younger with one less junior season than Reinhart so if he goes back to Kingston and leads Canada at the WJC with his old teammate Connor McDavid it might be for the best.

Go Sam!

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2