Prospect Info: Flames Development Camp 2014

n00bxQb

Jul 26, 2010
A lot of pretty goals today. Didn't see any dirty goals, mostly good capitalization on good passes and skill goals.

Obviously Gaudreau looked like an NHLer, got knocked over once pretty easily, but was king of the court the rest of the time. Goalies must be afraid of him.

Klimchuk had a two goal game, has pretty obvious chemistry with Van Brabant, Gilmour and Arnold. Those four guys were the best players on team red today. Culkin had a nice goal, but the guys mentioned above just played real well together.

Smith plays a good team game, passes pretty well, protects the puck. Not a lot of skill there, but he sees the ice well.

Bennett was less noticeable today. He still played his 200 ft game, but he wasn't showing off his skill like Monday and there was a time where it looked like he gave up on defending a breakaway, which led to a goal. I'd blame the goalie more here, though, as Carr looked like he didn't even try to stop the shot.

Austin Carroll was the surprise of the scrimmage. He looked really, really good today. Good vision, nice skating, showed some skill, some physicality and made a real nice backhand pass to Klimchuk for his second goal. I bet it was just a good day, but it's good to know there is some skill there for a 7th rounder.

Agostino and Kulak played together today and they were a sight to see. Agostino never ever stops. There was a shift where he had at least 4 scoring opportunties and finally passes it to Kulak at the point where he made a beauty of a slapper into the net. They both showed that they are ready to go pro this year.

Eric Roy is starting to show why he fell so far in 2013. Not a lot of lateral movement, skating is pretty weak and not a lot of stick-skill for a self-described offensive D. Gilmour is looking to be the better of the two, but Roy has size on his side.

The Goalies were all "meh" today. Didn't see many flashes of brilliance. I know it's only a week after he was drafted, but McDonald doesn't really look like a second rounder. Hope he improves. He looked about the same level of skill as the three invited, undrafted goalies.

Overall, the scrimmage was more enjoyable today than Monday. Seemed we got to see more skill and the boys were trying harder. Even Kanzig looked like a professional defender. None of the invitees really scream professional, but I'm not on Flames management. Hope some of the injured guys heal up by training camp, looks like an exciting future, guys.
Carroll developed very well in Victoria and I think he'll surprise some people next year. He's a surprisingly complete player with good size. He'll probably need some time to adjust to the pace of the pro game, however, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him in the top 6 for the AHL squad by season's end.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Carroll developed very well in Victoria and I think he'll surprise some people next year. He's a surprisingly complete player with good size. He'll probably need some time to adjust to the pace of the pro game, however, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him in the top 6 for the AHL squad by season's end.
I would be EXTREMELY surprised if he was even in the top 9 by seasons end.

The ADK Flames will have most of Gaudreau, Baertschi, Reinhart/Granlund, Poirier, Ferland, Agostino, Hanowski and Wolf (at the very least) ahead of Carroll on the wings to start the season. That is assuming he isn't sent back to Victoria.

Taranis

Jul 9, 2013
Nova Scotia
Just saw this up on the main Flames site and thought it was kind of funny. David Wolf seems like quite the character.

[NHL]628816[/NHL]

Wheels of Poirier

Flames in 2016
Mar 21, 2014
Just saw this up on the main Flames site and thought it was kind of funny. David Wolf seems like quite the character.

[NHL]628816[/NHL]

Cool to see the young guys bonding and learning to cook for themselves.. Wolfie sure seems like quite a guy, and how about Johnny with the wrist action on that salad lol very enjoyable, thanks for posting!

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
Wolf is huge! He almost looks hunched over with all that muscle! Wolf and Ferland should keep other teams honest when AF plays!

Taranis

Jul 9, 2013
Nova Scotia
Can't imagine hes lifting too many heavy weights this off season recovering from a shoulder injury. Not that it should be that bad considering he will start next season in the AHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad