Post-Game Talk: Flames def. Canucks - 5-2 (Highmore, Boeser)

bbud

Sep 10, 2008
BC
Team wasn't good, deserved to lose. But my god... that was some beer league level reffing. Blatant holding the stick non-calls right in front of their faces, lol just so bad.
Missed the game glad someone was keeping up on the useless Fu..s butmanns managed stripes are )

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Benning was true to form on signing backup goalies....first it was Braden Holtby and then Jiro Halak.....two absolutely terrible signings....they were bad goalies with ridiculous contracts. Can't believe a guy like Ian Clark signed off on either one of these guys.....but if he did, time to go back to the drawing board.

Gotta love Boudreau on those post-game pressers. Points out that teams now have complete confidence in how to play the Canucks.....they come out with a ton of energy and a fast, physical forecheck and the Canucks fold up like a cheap camp stool.

But it's been the same story for years, under both Travis Green and Willie Desjardins before him. This isn't a 'coaching issue' as much as it is a player personnel issue. This team is just too soft and too slow. It's there for anybody to see, despite their run of success over the past couple of months.

Reactions: Clinton Comets EHL

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
All this talk about the Canucks not being ready at the start of games. What if the simple truth is that they are ready but they’re just not good enough to handle a strong opening push from their opponents who are actually good.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
f*** Halak and his shit play, guy mailed it in when fat ass Benning offered that signing bonus.

He reached the games, played like shit and have no f***ing effort every time he played.

lazy, uninspiring.
Trade him come Monday, the hell with him.

There’s a huge Halak market out there.

Reactions: quat

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
Benning was true to form on signing backup goalies....first it was Braden Holtby and then Jiro Halak.....two absolutely terrible signings....they were bad goalies with ridiculous contracts. Can't believe a guy like Ian Clark signed off on either one of these guys.....but if he did, time to go back to the drawing board.

Gotta love Boudreau on those post-game pressers. Points out that teams now have complete confidence in how to play the Canucks.....they come out with a ton of energy and a fast, physical forecheck and the Canucks fold up like a cheap camp stool.

But it's been the same story for years, under both Travis Green and Willie Desjardins before him. This isn't a 'coaching issue' as much as it is a player personnel issue. This team is just too soft and too slow. It's there for anybody to see, despite their run of success over the past couple of months.
That is part of Ian Clark's job now. Canucks gives Ian Clark a fancy corporate title. Canucks wanted to develop goalie prospects and trade them for high draft picks, and to "resurrect" goalies and trade them for draft picks at TDL.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
What happened? I missed the game. What did Halak do other than, apparently, suck?
He was told on the bench by Bruce at the end of the 2nd that he was going into the 3rd. His reaction was bad.

Elliot Freidman speculates that he thought he was going to play tomorrow, and him going in tonight would mean Demko is starting tomorrow and he felt he was being cheated a start.

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
All this talk about the Canucks not being ready at the start of games. What if the simple truth is that they are ready but they’re just not good enough to handle a strong opening push from their opponents who are actually good.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
He was told on the bench by Bruce at the end of the 2nd that he was going into the 3rd. His reaction was bad.

Elliot Freidman speculates that he thought he was going to play tomorrow, and him going in tonight would mean Demko is starting tomorrow and he felt he was being cheated a start.
As a former (and crappy) goalie, I understand Halak's frustration - as it probably means he is not getting tomorrows start.

I'm guessing he prepared for tomorrow, maybe got tickets for family and/or friends. He doesn't get a lot of starts.

I get it.

What I don't get, is making a bit of a scene when you know a camera is always on.

Last edited:
Reactions: CanuckCity

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
It's time to make some tough and probably unpopular decisions for the good of the franchise. I think everyone is tired of the best case scenario being squeaking in as an 8th seed. It's been that way for far too long, and this market deserves better. JT Miller's value will never be higher. Contending teams are spending like drunken sailors. If a crazy multiple 1st's, A+ prospect type offer comes across the desk for Miller, they need to pull the trigger. I don't care how good he's been, this team badly needs to restock the cupboards, and they would be ill-advised to pay the price it would cost to keep JT as a UFA after next season anyways. Ekman-Larsson is an albatross that will haunt the club. Loui Eriksson 2.0. It's time to be real and accept that drastic changes will be required.
Eriksson's cap hit on the July 1 is $0.

Tomatoes11

Dec 25, 2021
Jim Bennings prized back up signing, just like Holbty’s bloated fat ass was

Don’t diss the Holtby and Halak signings dude. Pastorz says demko isn’t ready so he needs to be a back up for 2 or 3 years, then a 1b to holtby and then a 1a to halak. Plus we had to let marky walk. Apparently it makes perfect sense in some bizzaro dim/pastorz/green universe. So don’t diss!

Reactions: Ozone

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
As a former (and crappy) goalie, I understand Halak's frustration - as it probably means he was not getting tomorrows start.

I'm guessing he prepared for tomorrow, maybe got tickets for family and/or friends....He doesn't get a lot of starts.

I get it.

What I don't get, is making a bit of a scene when you know a camera is always on.

halak's reaction is understandable

but as a backup goalie, your whole job is to play a thankless, toilet-scrubbing role. that display was a whole lot of me for a guy whose job description is helping the team's all-star goalie be in a position to win as many games as possible

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I think Boudreau has already more than hinted that he's playing Demko until he drops over the last 20 games, or as long as the playoffs are mathematical possibility.

And unfortunately the way Halak is playing these days, it's almost a 'guaranteed loss' night whenever he's between the pipes. Not all of this is his fault of course. The Canucks bleed high-danger scoring chances, particularly in the first 10 minutes of every game. Usually they're bailed out by Demko's excellence. But expecting the backup to turn aside the same ridiculous chances the Canucks cough up is probably a little unfair.

The only unfortunately thing is that because of his contract, the Canucks can't either trade his ass out of town or allow him to hit the waiver wire.

Reactions: AzNightmare

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Halak was terrible in recent appearances, got blown out of the water and had to be hooked in each of his last two starts... but then when a game isn't going well for Demko, Halak acts as though he's above returning the relief assignment favour. He can GFH.

Reactions: supercanuck

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
f85pngnpcho81.jpg

Amazing leadership sitting on the side he did, you can really tell Miller is the true captain of the room. Unlike that bum horvat sitting on the opposite side. What was he thinking?

• Haha
Reactions: Peen

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
was at the game with 2 friends, omg. that first period horrible. flames were making passes quickly out of the zone. vancouver slow and making blind passes. seasons done. sell them all. wouldn't be surprised if some players are sat out tommorow for "asset protection". trade boeser miller, motte halak.. whatever embarassing effort tonight.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
was at the game with 2 friends, omg. that first period horrible. flames were making passes quickly out of the zone. vancouver slow and making blind passes. seasons done. sell them all. wouldn't be surprised if some players are sat out tommorow for "asset protection". trade boeser miller, motte halak.. whatever embarassing effort tonight.

How many 18$ beer did you have to drown the sorrows of that game away?

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
halak's reaction is understandable

but as a backup goalie, your whole job is to play a thankless, toilet-scrubbing role. that display was a whole lot of me for a guy whose job description is helping the team's all-star goalie be in a position to win as many games as possible
Completely agree.

My small point is: I understand the frustration, and I didn't like his reaction.

Plus, I would be a 'team player' and wave my bloody NTC for the good of the team.

Reactions: mossey3535

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad