Friedman: Flames are in on Jagr

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Because Monahan and Backlund are "depth" centers.

I don't include Monahan as a depth center. I am also aware that Backlund is a pretty good 2C, but I was talking about players as good as Barkov, and Monahan is your only center who is as good or better than Barkov. But like I said, maybe Jagr could do well with Backlund, but there is some doubt there imo

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
IF Jagr signs in Calgary, I think he could be juggled on any of the top 3 lines. It also means Janko likely starts in the AHL. It could work and I don't think we'd be shoving him on the 1st line in a way where Jagr is out of gas by January. I think he could be given a position to play, mentor or just mess around if he wanted to.

1st
JG - Mony - Jagr
3M
Ferland - Bennett - Versteeg
Stajan - Lazar - Brouwer

F Hamilton

2nd
JG - Mony - Ferland
Frolik - Backlund - Jagr
Tkachuk - Bennett - Versteeg
Stajan - Lazar - Brouwer

F Hamilton

3rd
JG - Mony - Ferland
Frolik - Backlund - Versteeg
Tkachuk - Bennett - Jagr

OR

JG - Mony - Ferland
3M
Bennett - Lazar - Jagr

Seems pretty cool. I'd love Jagr, but I'm hesitant to believe he will sign with us.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I don't include Monahan as a depth center. I am also aware that Backlund is a pretty good 2C, but I was talking about players as good as Barkov, and Monahan is your only center who is as good or better than Barkov. But like I said, maybe Jagr could do well with Backlund, but there is some doubt there imo

Maybe I misunderstood. Sorry.

For me, Jagr could help out Bennett, or make the Backlund and Frolik like unstoppable, or could very well be a first liner and enjoy his time playing with Johnny and Monahan.

tempest2i

Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
I would be surprised if Jagr chooses to play out west where the travel is significantly worse than along the east coast of the US.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Why would they do that when they could just reminisce on the flames dominating the Oilers for 10+ years straight?

Because to get to those 10+ years they would have to skip over last seasons series sweep, and if you look too far back you'd run into Edmonton knocking the Flames from the playoffs often enough that they only have one cup despite being arguably the 2nd best team of the 1980s.

Flyerfan52

May 3, 2012
Winnipeg
On a 1 year, attainable bonus heavy contract Calgary can't lose by signing Jagr.
Use him on RW with Gaudreau/Monahan when a goal is needed but play him sparingly the rest of the time to keep him fresh.
Even in the locker room his work out routines put most young players to shame so if it rubs off on even 1 player it's like having Gary Roberts type @ hand during the season.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Only downside to this deal is that it could really slow down Jankowski's development. I really don't think a second year in the minors at his age would help him as much as NHL experience

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Only downside to this deal is that it could really slow down Jankowski's development. I really don't think a second year in the minors at his age would help him as much as NHL experience

I dunno man. If you had the kids train in pre-season with a living legend, I'd almost think they'd work extra hard to earn that cup of coffee to sit by the man himself when call up options are available. You'd also have the kids exposed to an insane regimen that could help all players across the board. Could he over marinate? Maybe, but I really do think Janko could get a chance, steal a job, then force management's hand on Freddy or Stajan.

Everyone on our roster can learn from Jagr, but IMO Ferland, Tkachuk and Frolik especially could learn a lot from him. Frolik is even from Jagr's hometown in Czechia.

EDIT: Dang it, I'm getting a little excited at the idea of Jagr... but I must taper expectations.

Flyerfan52

May 3, 2012
Winnipeg

To me the question is if Jankowski can't beat out a 45 year old for a roster spot is he really ready?

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Of course the Flames are. :laugh: I'm convinced their scouting staff is comprised of a social media intern that just creeps Oiler fans.

In all seriousness the Flames need help on RW and Jagr would provide that. He wants to play, they need a RW. The match makes sense.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Why would they do that when they could just reminisce on the flames dominating the Oilers for 10+ years straight?

Jagr would look excellent on any of the flames top three lines. My preference would be to try him with Bennett.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Lazar
Tkachuk-Bennett-Jagr
Ferland-Backlund-Frolik
Versteeg-Stajan-Brouwer

Someone sure has a short, selective memory.

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
This may make sense for Calgary but I dont see how it makes any sense for Jagr? He would be moving west with its lousy travel and to a team that is not a legitimate contender. It would make more sense for him to wait for injuries and an offer from an Eastern team that has a real shot to win the cup. Someone earlier mentioned financial security as a reason he would sign. The guy has been playing hockey forever. I cant imagine he needs the $$$

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
Calgary thread= bring in the Oil goon squad!

This may make sense for Calgary but I dont see how it makes any sense for Jagr? He would be moving west with its lousy travel and to a team that is not a legitimate contender. It would make more sense for him to wait for injuries and an offer from an Eastern team that has a real shot to win the cup. Someone earlier mentioned financial security as a reason he would sign. The guy has been playing hockey forever. I cant imagine he needs the $$$

I think it's the chance to slot in on any of the top 3 lines and return to his mentor/resident legend role. He won't be relied on for scoring or sitting shotgun to McD, so less limelight, and still a world class city to play in for a year. Plus it's the home of the travelling Jagrs!
IMO the guy just loves Hockey, and will play another season because of that. Who knows exactly why he might choose one team over another.

Someone sure has a short, selective memory.

This is my favourite post ever from an Oilers fan. Well done sir.
If you had read what I was replying to you, you would understand which side this short selective memory is really troubling on. Anything over a decade is too long for me.

Someone's also slotting Curtis Lazar on his top line. Dude has a career PPG of .22

Giving me JF Jacques flashbacks.

Meh, that was just to balance out the shot preferences. Realistically the 1RW-2LW-and 3RW are all going to be interchangeable as the team is mostly set up in "duos". The only reason I laid it out that way was to give each line a RHS

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014

Fun fact, Jagr almost signed in Edmonton in 2010, but re-signed in Avangard.

Jagr has expressed interest in playing Canada. In 2012 he reportedly was close to joining the Canadiens, but ended up playing for the Dallas Stars instead.

Sure, it's possible he never plays in Canada, but it seems he has history with Gully and Joe Nieuwendyk (former Flame). One can weave elaborate patterns, and I am weaving them only to show that it might be a comfortable fit even if the travel isn't desirable. I do agree that Jagr probably prefers sun and beaches and less travel to elsewhere though.

However, nothing is guaranteed. It's fun to imagine though.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Adding Jagr would open up a lot of options, but he would definitely need at least one speedy puck carrier / defensive forward on his line.

Gaudreau - Bennett - Ferland
Frolik - Monahan - Jagr
Tkachuk - Backlund - Versteeg
Lazar - Stajan - Brouwer

I don't think Jagr would be the best fit with Monahan and Gaudreau - the best type of RW for them needs speed to carry the puck a bit.

You could really throw a wrench in things and try:
Gaudreau - Backlund - Jagr
Tkachuk - Bennett - Ferland
Frolik - Monahan - Versteeg
Lazar - Stajan - Brouwer

This would give you 3 scoring lines. That second line would be a scary line to play against and a fun line to watch. Big, tough, and skilled. Let Monahan serve as a shut down center as he continues to develop that aspect of his game.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Adding Jagr would open up a lot of options, but he would definitely need at least one speedy puck carrier / defensive forward on his line.

Gaudreau - Bennett - Ferland
Frolik - Monahan - Jagr
Tkachuk - Backlund - Versteeg
Lazar - Stajan - Brouwer

I don't think Jagr would be the best fit with Monahan and Gaudreau - the best type of RW for them needs speed to carry the puck a bit.

You could really throw a wrench in things and try:
Gaudreau - Backlund - Jagr
Tkachuk - Bennett - Ferland
Frolik - Monahan - Versteeg
Lazar - Stajan - Brouwer

This would give you 3 scoring lines. That second line would be a scary line to play against and a fun line to watch. Big, tough, and skilled. Let Monahan serve as a shut down center as he continues to develop that aspect of his game.

You want him doing that, but you also don't want to give up his 25-30 goals a season. Also, Backlund/Gaudreau hasn't worked in the past.

I really think Jagr fills in on the Bennett line like a glove.
Gaudreau - Monahan - Ferland
Tkachuk - Backlund - Frolik
Versteeg - Bennett - Jagr
Stajan - Lazar - Brouwer/Jankowski

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
You want him doing that, but you also don't want to give up his 25-30 goals a season. Also, Backlund/Gaudreau hasn't worked in the past.

I really think Jagr fills in on the Bennett line like a glove.
Gaudreau - Monahan - Ferland
Tkachuk - Backlund - Frolik
Versteeg - Bennett - Jagr
Stajan - Lazar - Brouwer/Jankowski

Backlund / Gaudreau was tried for a very short period of time during Gaudreau's rookie year, right? Backlund has become a much better player since then - they seem to do pretty well together at 3v3.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad