Friedman: Flames are in on Jagr

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007
Jagr was one of only 2 plus players in the plus minus category on the Panthers. Don't know if he will decline in that category. It is possible but I think he spends more of his time in the offensive zone.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
Jagr has always been about the money first I don't know why this would surprise anyone it really is all he cares about.

Right; that's why he said that if he can't get an NHL contract before season starts, he'll play for Czech 1st league (essentially making zero money) and wait if perhaps some NHL team needs him during the season, rather than play in the KHL for example. Makes total sense :nod:

This "Jagr is just a mercenary" narrative is really getting old.

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007
Right; that's why he said that if he can't get an NHL contract before season starts, he'll play for Czech 1st league (essentially making zero money) and wait if perhaps some NHL team needs him during the season, rather than play in the KHL for example. Makes total sense :nod:

This "Jagr is just a mercenary" narrative is really getting old.

He said a major goal of his was to reach the 2000 point mark since returning to the nhl. If that is true he should get at minimum 45 points in the next two seasons if he wants to keep pace.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I'm surprised no one has posted this yet:

If true, this is why Jagr took so long to get signed. The whole "nobody wants Jags, BUT WHY?" narrative was likely overblown. It was "Nobody wants Jags yet at 4M"

I would guess that teams were likely willing to offer him a 35+ incentive based contract while Jagr wasn't going to play for a less than ideal salary. Players can decline very quickly from season to season in their late 30s let alone their late 40s. The decline sneaks up on players, and Jagr already looked to have taken a major step back last year. Skating is likely a huge concern.

Keep in mind, Jagr has also never played in Canada, and Calgary is cold as hell. It's possible Calgary offered him this contract earlier, and Jagr waited it out hoping another team would emerge willing to match it that played somewhere where it wouldn't be -50 with 32 inches of snow in September.

I like this move for Calgary. They are shaping up into a serious contender and the addition of Jagr and Smith instantly adds two veterans to the room who have been deep in the playoffs, played for (or on the bench for...) gold medals, and know what it takes to win. Worst case scenario, Calgary just blew 4 million dollars on a player whose done on a 1 year deal. They should still have enough extra cap space after filling out a 23 man roster that they can fit in the remaining salary of a decent rental player at the trade deadline if needed.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Jagr is still good and at 3.7 million probably slightly below market value. Drives possession, puts up points and it is pretty surprising it took him this long to sign.

i feel bad that he isn't signing with a contender but I'm happy for him if he is signed.
2 Cups and Calgary is good? They will make noise in the West...

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
He's the Alberta version of Eklund, at least for Oiler-related stuff. He hears a rumour or speculation from the regular media and then tweets out that he has a source telling him something. The Foo signing is the only thing I've seen him get right and even then I'm not sure he didn't rip that off of someone else too. Maybe he actually knows someone connected with the Flames.

Given he's edmonton based and tweets more often about them, I would say he knows a low level office person in Edmonton. The only two times he's really gone out for Calgary signings are when Edmonton was also reportedly interested in the player.

Aug 3, 2010
If this signing becomes official, I'm curious as to what Iginla's next move will be.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Jagr is still good and at 3.7 million probably slightly below market value. Drives possession, puts up points and it is pretty surprising it took him this long to sign.

2 Cups and Calgary is good? They will make noise in the West...

Damn right Jagr is worth that much. It's Jagr. From a marketing perspective alone the team will make that salary back in ratings and jersey sales. And he can put up points still. And he has mentorship benefits.

There's tons of unspent cap space every year. If Jagr wants a fair amount of cash then good on him for insisting on it.

JurassicTunga

it is what it is
Mar 21, 2010
Joshua Marshall‏ @JMarshyBosco93
More
.@NHLFlames & @68Jagr camp are still in talks, sounds like the #Flames wanna get Sam Bennett signed before they sign Jagr.

From the same guy who said it's close. Pretty much what most of us thought. Bennett's gotta be signed before they bring in someone else like Jagr.

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
Between pure marketability and what he brings on the ice, it is amazing to me that NHL teams are not begging for him. Anyone here that says he is washed up needs their hockey knowledge questioned.

4031a82ae36ff347d74c0793e2fd6a34

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
flames would be better served with gallagher mette and a second for brodie. jagr would be a nice story but he wont keep up with speedy flame forwards

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
flames would be better served with gallagher mette and a second for brodie. jagr would be a nice story but he wont keep up with speedy flame forwards

Is this a proposal you constructed for the Habs so you can get the player you think they need for less than good value, and are now crowbarring it into this thread about Jagr? Did people shoot it down on the trade board?

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Is this a proposal you constructed for the Habs so you can get the player you think they need for less than good value, and are now crowbarring it into this thread about Jagr? Did people shoot it down on the trade board?

no just thought gallagher would be a good fit on the flames. love jagr but games getting faster

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Between pure marketability and what he brings on the ice, it is amazing to me that NHL teams are not begging for him. Anyone here that says he is washed up needs their hockey knowledge questioned.

4031a82ae36ff347d74c0793e2fd6a34

I maintain that he's being discriminated against due to being born in 1972 and not because he's no longer any good.

Of course, he is at the age where he can totally crash and be terrible this year, but he's still good as of the last we saw of him.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
He's the Alberta version of Eklund, at least for Oiler-related stuff. He hears a rumour or speculation from the regular media and then tweets out that he has a source telling him something. The Foo signing is the only thing I've seen him get right and even then I'm not sure he didn't rip that off of someone else too. Maybe he actually knows someone connected with the Flames.

Maybe he is actually Spencer Foo... :sarcasm:

Given he's edmonton based and tweets more often about them, I would say he knows a low level office person in Edmonton. The only two times he's really gone out for Calgary signings are when Edmonton was also reportedly interested in the player.

^^^ more support to my theory.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark

The Flames would be better with Gallagher, but not for Brodie. Absolutely not that is terrible. Mette, a second doesn't change it. Brodie is a lowend #1 Dman, Gallagher is a 2nd line RWer, which is great and I think he'd fit very well with Gaudreau-Monahan as their current RWer is a LHS 3rd liner, but not for Brodie.

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
I maintain that he's being discriminated against due to being born in 1972 and not because he's no longer any good.

Of course, he is at the age where he can totally crash and be terrible this year, but he's still good as of the last we saw of him.

Definitely agree, but like Iginla and Doan and any other old guy, I feel he deserves that one year of crap before he gets black balled.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Uhhhh what? He chose them like Versteeg chose them. Because he was given an opportunity to play on the roster and he's close to home. If Edmonton had a spot available, he'd have signed here. Doesn't matter who's better. :shakehead

Foo signed with the Flames because he had spent development camps here and was comfortable with the organization above all else

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->