Friedman: Flames are in on Jagr

dryz

Feb 10, 2011
Czechia
Problem with Jagr. He wont be happy with anything else but #1 line time.

Not true. Jagr himself said in a recent interview that he would rather play on 2nd/3rd line because it would be easier for him. He is very aware he isn't a first line player anymore.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Exactly, if he isn't a first line player he doesn't improve Calgary.

Happy that this whole story doesn't have much backing.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
If Calgary wants a ceremonial old guy, why don't they just sign Iginla?

Jagr's recent production is tied to situations. His team was forced to use him more prominently because of injuries. He rose to the occasion. You don't sign an old man because of what he did before. Slow old men have alumni games and European leagues.

Reinhart

Jun 13, 2011
Hope it happens. Even outside my own personal selfishness of wanting to own a Jagr Flames' jersey, I think he would help the team both on and off the ice. As long as it is something not too expensive, sign him. Besides, injuries happen, and just because one of the prospects has to start on the farm doesn't mean that they will be stuck there all season.

JoeCool16

Sep 9, 2011
Vancouver
I'm surprised no one has posted this yet:

He legit?

Not true. Jagr himself said in a recent interview that he would rather play on 2nd/3rd line because it would be easier for him. He is very aware he isn't a first line player anymore.
I think it was more along the lines of "I'd be okay with playing second-line minutes, and as a silver lining I'd get easier competition"

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
If Calgary wants a ceremonial old guy, why don't they just sign Iginla?

Jagr's recent production is tied to situations. His team was forced to use him more prominently because of injuries. He rose to the occasion. You don't sign an old man because of what he did before. Slow old men have alumni games and European leagues.

Jagr is miles ahead of Iggy right now.

Jagr put up 46 points on a team where the highest scorer had 54 points. He's not a dominant PPG player anymore, but remains a solid depth guy and a great PP guy. Iginla is simply not capable of putting together a season of NHL play. Iginla can barely skate up and down the ice well enough to keep up with a play at this point.

Jagr also has a vision of the game, that Iginla never had, which gives Jagr far more longevity. Iginla relies entirely on his physicality to play, which is very diminished at this point.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Jesus...over 40 and can still pull in 3.7mil? Wowzas...

He's actually closer to 50 at this point than 40...

My guess is that this contract has to be very bonus dependent. I can't see any team just giving him 3.7 mil straight up. Maybe if he hits 50+ points he gets that.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Someone did a few pages back and everyone skimmed over it somehow. Anyone know if this guy has a track record? $3.7M is a pretty random number to make up.

He did sign for $3.3m in his first season back in the NHL. People thought he was too old back then!

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
He was almost bang on with the Draisaitl amount though a little early, and was the first to get Foo right. IMO he's got something like 2nd or 3rd hand contacts, but that's still better than the rest of us.
He's the Alberta version of Eklund, at least for Oiler-related stuff. He hears a rumour or speculation from the regular media and then tweets out that he has a source telling him something. The Foo signing is the only thing I've seen him get right and even then I'm not sure he didn't rip that off of someone else too. Maybe he actually knows someone connected with the Flames.

Last edited:

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Jesus...over 40 and can still pull in 3.7mil? Wowzas...

I mean that was prob the reason why he was still unsigned. Asking way too much. But at one year I'm surprised more teams didn't make offers. Lots of teams have the cap space and it would have helped in many ways.

NeutralFan88

Jun 23, 2017
Jags has won. It's all about money for him. He doesn't care if he signs with a non contender like Calgary. Calgary needs some offense too.

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
Jagr has always been about the money first I don't know why this would surprise anyone it really is all he cares about.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad