Flames 2018 Preseason / Training Camp Thread (All Encompassing)

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Valimaki has been clearly inferior to Andersson. Stone has experience playing LD. Management is sending the wrong message if they go through with this

Experience or experience playing it well?

I also don't think that Andersson has outplayed Valimaki by much if at all. Certainly not enough that it makes sense to move Stone to his weaker side to shoehorn Andersson in.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
My overall takes from pre-season:

- Hanifin and Giordano look great, Hamonic seems like he'll bounce back and have a good season alongside Hanifin. I believe Brodie will be better but he seemed to get out-muscled a lot.
- Lindholm is a better fit on the top line instead of Neal.
- While the 3M line is always reliable, I'd rather they have Neal/Czarnik there instead of Frolik.
- Dube and Mangiapane both looked good, but Dube looked better so he should make the team.
- Bennett had a low-key good pre-season and maybe without all eyes on him, he can possibly take the next step, I'm in the camp that wants him and Janko separated.
- Apart from today's game Ryan looked good.
- Hathaway will be good in 13/14th forward role, if possible we should try and sneak Lazar down on waivers and see if time in the AHL can get his confidence up.
- Valimaki looked good but 1 year in the AHL playing in all situations will help a lot.
- Andersson should be on the team and playing ahead of Kulak
- Goaltending should be fine if Smith stays healthy.

My opening night preferred line-up:
Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm
Tkachuk-Backlund-Czarnik
Bennett-Ryan-Neal
Dube-Jankowski-Frolik

Giordano-Brodie
Hanifin-Hamonic
Stone-Andersson

Smith
Rittich

Scratches: Hathaway, Lazar/Peluso, Kulak.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Least surprising outcome. Two youngsters are making the team + Prout as the #7

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Least surprising outcome. Two youngsters are making the team

I'm surprised by Kulak a bit. Prout is easily the worst D on our team.
Not a huge loss, Andersson and Valimaki both leapfrogged him already.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Yeah, not a huge shock. I do feel a little bad for Kulak. It isn't as though he has done anything wrong. He's just a victim of our depth this season. Hopefully he can play well in the AHL and keep himself in the conversation in case of injuries or struggles by Valimaki.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I'm surprised by Kulak a bit. Prout is easily the worst D on our team.
Not a huge loss, Andersson and Valimaki both leapfrogged him already.
Kulak wasn't much better than Prout imo

I don't think Kulak finishes the season with this org. He'll either get claimed by Columbus or Edmonton or will get moved later on

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
This is probably the best thing for Lazar; he needs to play.

Prout isn't good but he'll spend the majority of his time in the pressbox.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Kulak is done as a Flame then. Could see Edmonton or a few other teams claiming him, as he is a very servicable bottom pairing guy (and frankly, he's probably better than half of Edmonton's d-core lol).

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
Would much rather prefer Kulak up as the popcorn eater instead of Prout but oh well.
This might mean that both Dube and Mangiapane made the team in which case one will be a healthy scratch at times, not sure how I feel on that either

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Would prefer to have Lazar up than Hathaway but I guess its better for Lazar to play and Hathaway to sit.

Although best to just get Hathaway as far away from playing a game for the Flames as possible.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Would much rather prefer Kulak up as the popcorn eater instead of Prout but oh well.
This might mean that both Dube and Mangiapane made the team in which case one will be a healthy scratch at times, not sure how I feel on that either

There could still be cuts, but it almost definitely means one of the forwards and dman from stockton made it.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
One year Lazar is being protected from an expansion draft, the next he’s waived. I do feel bad for him as well, but he’s done nothing to claim a spot.

Kulak is a good bottom pairing dmen, unfortunately for him he’s now this organization’s 8th or 9th best dman. Like Lazar, he also had an opportunity here and he didn’t take advantage of it.

I’m not gonna be sad because if we’re waiving players like this then that means our starting lineup is going to be very good.

Reactions: FlamerForLife

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Prout at least provides toughness, when required. It’s probably more of a solid for Kulak, more than anything. Gives him a shot at continuing his career, if another team is interested.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Prout is not an NHL player, too slow to be relevant in today's game and below average in all areas, odd decision to seemingly go with him over Kulak.

Yeah. I was saying in another thread, Kulak's at an age where it's not a horrible thing if he's sitting in the pressbox. He's not a 22 year old kid that needs minutes, he'll be 25 years old and likely already pretty topped out in terms of what he is.

My concern is yeah, you have Prout as your 7D... 7D's still get in games. Then you have that Bartkowski thing, where everytime he's on the ice, you're holding your breath. Might as well not have a 7D that's dropoff from 6 is so huge you have major concerns about him stepping on the ice. Like, Kulak-Valimaki-Andersson.. the two Euro's are better than him, but the dropoff isn't egregious.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Prout is not an NHL player, too slow to be relevant in today's game and below average in all areas, odd decision to seemingly go with him over Kulak.

There are likely a few players being sent down to the AHL in addition to the waiver wire. Mangiapane and one of either Andersson or Valimaki are likely being sent down.

Prout is a good benchwarmer. The guys sent down will get to play and improve their play. Prout doesn't need that. Kind of like Bart last year. I doubt he figures into many games as the recall would get the spot in the line-up if there is an injury.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I think it’s likely the Flames like Kylington more than Kulak. So if Kulak was going to be used, perhaps they prefer Kylington. Prout is fine to eat popcorn so it makes sense. Also this means Valimaki has essentially made the team.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
I think it’s likely the Flames like Kylington more than Kulak. So if Kulak was going to be used, perhaps they prefer Kylington. Prout is fine to eat popcorn so it makes sense. Also this means Valimaki has essentially made the team.
Not really, Valimaki (or Andersson) don't have to clear waivers to be assigned.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Prout is here to keep guys honest and that’s it. I honestly don’t hate it, he can match up, in that aspect, with anyone in the league. We can’t afford to have Hamonic, Bennett and Tkachuk chuck’em every other game. If teams take liberties, you can bet Prout will be in the line up the next time we play them.

Reactions: Lazar Beams

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Really wish they'd have kept Kulak up over Prout, but so be it. He'll get claimed with the injuries other teams have.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Keeping Prout over Kulak brings up memories of Bollig for Byron... but what can you do?

So does this mean Andersson eats popcorn. Or is Stone? Sometimes our management overthinks things I think.

Good for Valimaki though he’s a beast.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad