Flames 2018 Preseason / Training Camp Thread (All Encompassing)

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Now comes the real interesting part of the season. Assuming we will have 7 d-men, 13 forwards, and 2 goalies on Oct 4

One of the following d-men will be sent down to Stockton...
Andersson
Valimaki
Prout

One of the following forwards will be sent down to Stockton...
Dube
Hathaway
Mangiapane

One of the following goalies will be sent down to Stockton....
Rittich
Gillies

I'm going to guess Valimaki, Mangiapane, and Gillies will be sent down.

Last edited:

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Now comes the real interesting part of the season. Assuming we will have 7 d-men, 13 forwards, and 2 goalies on Oct 4

One of the following d-men will be waived...
Andersson
Valimaki
Prout

One of the following forwards will be waived...
Dube
Hathaway
Mangiapane

One of the following goalies will be waived....
Rittich
Gillies

I'm going to guess Valimaki, Mangiapane, and Gillies will be waived

Waived or sent down?

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Anyone’s that sees my posts regularly knows I’m not a punctuation stickler. I was pointing out though that there’s a big difference between being demoted and waived. Lots of people come onto this site for information, so I wanted the distinction to be clarified.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016

One of the following d-men will be sent down to Stockton...
Andersson
Valimaki
Prout

One of the following forwards will be sent down to Stockton...
Dube
Hathaway
Mangiapane

One of the following goalies will be sent down to Stockton....
Rittich
Gillies

I'm going to guess Valimaki, Mangiapane, and Gillies will be sent down.

General consensus among the reporter pool believe Valimaki has made the roster. They usually have some off-the-record comments to go on which leads me to believe either Andersson is being sent down or Prout is going to be waived. I wouldn't leave out the possibility that Tre is planning on trading someone.

My bet is Rittich is waived when the Leaf's waive. Mangiapane is sent down and Prout is waived so Stone becomes the D-man in the press box. I believe Andersson and Valimaki have done enough in the coaches eyes to fill the last pairing.

"I know everyone's focused on the Day One roster,'' said Treliving. "But things change, fast. It's 12 noon? Well, guess what? Things can change by 12:30.
"Sure we've got to make some decisions. But they're not 82-game decisions. Are they: 'Matthew Tkachuk? Does he go back to junior and we don't see him again?' type decisions. No.
"Some guys may not start here but that doesn't mean they won't be coming up Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday."
Brad Treliving from Calgaryflames.com

So maybe Stone and/or some other forward is now disposable. Maybe a move for a backup. Who knows?

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
General consensus among the reporter pool believe Valimaki has made the roster. They usually have some off-the-record comments to go on which leads me to believe either Andersson is being sent down or Prout is going to be waived. I wouldn't leave out the possibility that Tre is planning on trading someone.

My bet is Rittich is waived when the Leaf's waive. Mangiapane is sent down and Prout is waived so Stone becomes the D-man in the press box. I believe Andersson and Valimaki have done enough in the coaches eyes to fill the last pairing.

Brad Treliving from Calgaryflames.com

So maybe Stone and/or some other forward is now disposable. Maybe a move for a backup. Who knows?

This is pretty much my take on how I see things unfolding. Honestly this year is going to be a lot of fun. We have depth, speed, a good coach and players that match his system. A lot of things to be excited over.

Reactions: SKRusty

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Exciting days ahead. So many possibilities. So much depth.
Nervousness too. Will those players that had sub par seasons bounce back?
Will Smith be the Smith of the first 2/3rds of last year?
Do we have a back up that will step up and win?
Is Peters the coach that this team needs?
Will the power play finally get its act together? Tough to regularly win games when you can't scrore when you have the man advantage.

Really looking forward to Oct 4.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Sure, but my point was that he isn't a full-time NHLer. He isn't exactly someone that is going to slot into another team's top four.
which I agree that 100%

Watch out for CFHF. I’ve been caught alone on verbiage lol.

I agree though, two more guys have to go back down.
To be fair, often the wrong verbiage can completely change the meaning of something, especially in this case.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Exciting days ahead. So many possibilities. So much depth.
Nervousness too. Will those players that had sub par seasons bounce back?
Will Smith be the Smith of the first 2/3rds of last year?
Do we have a back up that will step up and win?
Is Peters the coach that this team needs?
Will the power play finally get its act together? Tough to regularly win games when you can't scrore when you have the man advantage.

Really looking forward to Oct 4.

I can't wait until the season starts but I won't pass Judgement until the end of the day Nov 23. That week the Flames play Vegas twice and Winnipeg once.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I can't wait until the season starts but I won't pass Judgement until the end of the day Nov 23. That week the Flames play Vegas twice and Winnipeg once.
Odd. Most people pass judgement after every game. What's wrong with you? ;)

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
It is bad for my heart to ride that roller-coaster. LOL.

In all seriousness the NHL doesn't really start to shake out until the end of November. Dwelling on good or bad results before then is pretty much pointless.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
I'm just glad we aren't opening against Edmonton this year. The stakes are too high in those BoAs.

Disagree entirely. I wish we opened against them- good litmus test to see if the boys are taking things seriously. We should not tolerate many losses to the backwater scum up north.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Disagree entirely. I wish we opened against them- good litmus test to see if the boys are taking things seriously. We should not tolerate many losses to the backwater scum up north.

They never take the season opener seriously.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Did you know that the last time the Flames won the season opener was in 2009 against the Vancouver Canucks?

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
Well maybe that's why this group has struggled to put up winning seasons. Start the right way from day 1, no matter who we're playing.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00