Flames 2018 Preseason / Training Camp Thread (All Encompassing)

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016

1st group seems to be all the AHL bound guys, while the 2nd group is the main squad with all the bubble guys.

Dube, Valimaki and Hogstrom all given the day off, Hogstrom is due to injury.

Expecting tonight or tomorrow morning all of practice session 1 to be release from their PTO or sent down to Stockton. The only forwards prospects that may stay with the Flames are Foo, Dube, and Gawdin.
Defensively Valimaki, Prout, and Andersson will be competing for the final spots.

The battle for the backup will go into this last week with Gillies having a slight edge on Rittich.

Stockton's first preseason game is on Sept 29th and they will want the guys to have a couple days to get settled.

Last edited:

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
While Gillies has the slight edge over Rittich, he is not waiver eligible. Rittich is. So I expect Rittich to be the backup on opening day.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010

I like it. As long as the 3/4 lines play similar minutes. Lindholm and Neal can swap in and out of the top line depending on the game situation.

I’d also throw Dube on the 3rd, bump Frolik down and Hathaway as the spare. Andersson in as well.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Hathaway? Seriously.

Not a fan of Lindholm on the 3rd line but I imagine Czarnik will play himself off that line quickly if that is what they are actually going with.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
It's important to remember that this isn't the opening-night lineup. Guys like Hathaway deserve the chance to show what they can do just as much as other guys.

I have seen enough of what he can do and even more so what the Bennett-Jankowski-Hathaway line can "do." That is a line that would have been nice to see some different pairings to see if any chemistry with others could be developed because it did not work last year and I doubt it was because they needed more time together.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I have seen enough of what he can do and even more so what the Bennett-Jankowski-Hathaway line can "do." That is a line that would have been nice to see some different pairings to see if any chemistry with others could be developed because it did not work last year and I doubt it was because they needed more time together.
You might have, yes, but how much has Bill Peters seen?

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
AS, why argue with this guy? He's stated Lazar > Jankowski, then complains about Hathaway whose been better than Lazar

Reactions: Steven

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
So a smart coach would assume he knows everything there is to know about his players and not attempt to witness their play for himself. Got it.

I think there are things that you can see in watching video or asking around to make assessments yes.

For example, I don't think he needs to try out Peluso at center with Gaudreau to know that works because he hasn't witnessed it for himself.

Bennett-Jankowski-Hathaway was a terrible line last year, they had plenty of time together to show whether it worked or not. I don't see why Peters has to see it for himself when there is video evidence plus lots of people who were around to see it first hand if he is still confused.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
You might have, yes, but how much has Bill Peters seen?

I would have to assume Peters watched the video of the previous season, in which a snakebitten, but highly effective puck-carrying skill line of Bennett-Jankowski-Jagr became a temporarily luckier, but overall ineffective dump-and-emphasis-on-wait-for-it-chase line of Bennett-Jankowski-Hathaway.

This isn't about Hathaway the individual, it's about how he makes that line play a style they are not suited for. It's not uncommon for coaches to anchor down two skill players with a grinder (e.g. Sedins+Burrows or Malkin-Neal+Kunitz) but the grinder has to actually be the right guy for thr job and Hathaway's lack of skill is glaringly obvious. In turn Bennett and Jankowski's confidence plummets. We have the talent on RW to augment those two with someone who will keep the play flowing... Czarnik, Lindholm, Frolik, Neal, even Foo and Phillips. Sticking to Hathaway is obstinate and unnecessary.

Reactions: Nanuuk

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
There just isn't any harm in witnessing all options is all I'm saying.

All options would have to include combinations like:

Tkachuk-Bennett-Czarnik
Dube-Jankowski-Frolik
Gaudreau-Bennett-Lindholm
Gaudreau-Bennett-Neal
Gaudreau-Bennett-Monahan
Ryan-Jankowski-Neal
Lindholm-Bennett-Neal
Jankowski-Bennett-Czarnik

etc

We haven't witnessed all options, though. We've witnessed one option, the same option we've already witnessed. Bennett-Jankowski-Hathaway. The amount of ice time in preseason is finite and it's being wasted on a combination with a huge sample size out there of Garnet Hathaway dumping pucks into a corner where the other team's dman is already five steps closer, and then the next twenty seconds being spent backing up in the neutral zone until the line gets a much-needed change.

Last edited:
Reactions: snipetype

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Some of he options you've noted, i.e. Bennett at centre with the big boys isn't going to happen IMO. If Benny does play centre I expect he would start on the 4th line unless he can usurp Jankowski in that role. Still it would be intriguing to try.

I'd also like to see Czarnik play RW with Gaudreau and Monahan. With two 5'9" wingers that can fly and one string bean sniper, there would be pucks whizzing by from everywhere. I doubt we'll see them together, but Czarnik's stock is on the rise. It was only one game, but the chemistry he had with Chucky and Backs was very good.

I think Hathaway becomes a press box guy along with Peluso. Lazar will be waived. Foo will go to Stockton. Mangiapane will stay.

Oops. Forgot about Dube. I like the kid, but until Tre trades somebody, he'll be Stockton bound. Mangiapane plays the possession game better.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Looks like they are testing out our defense this time. Good to see andersson in that lineup.
Yeah. I would think the defense pairings will be"

Giordano - Brodie
Hanifin - Hamonic
Valimaki - Andersson
Ollas Mattsson

Don't have a clue on how the forwards will line up.

Dn0tB5XXkAA17b_.jpg

Last edited:

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Yeah. I would think the defense pairings will be"

Giordano - Brodie
Hanifin - Hamonic
Valimaki - Andersson
Ollas Mattsson

Don't have a clue on how the forwards will line up.

Lindholm and Ryan lol. Please don't make them a pair Peters... Lindholm deserves top 6 minutes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad