Flames 2018 Preseason / Training Camp Thread (All Encompassing)

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm
Tkachuk-Backlund-Neal
Frolik-Ryan-Czarnik
Bennett-Jankowski-Foo
Hathaway

Giordano-Brodie
Hanifin-Hamonic
Stone-Andersson
Kulak

Smith
Rittich

This should be the opening day lineup imo. Give Dube a year in the AHL, and please don't make Hathaway a regular.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I've got tickets to tonight suddenly. Anything on lineups for tonight?

Not the lineups for tonight, but this was the practice group this morning:

Johnny - Mony - Neal
Chucky - Backs - Czarnik
Frolik - Ryan - Lindholm
Benny - Jankowski - Hathawy
Lazar - Dube - Peluso

Giordano - Brodie
Hanifin - Hamonic
Kulak - Stone
Prout - Andersson.

Reactions: Flames Fanatic

djpatm

Feb 2, 2010
Calgary
Man I would feel so bad for Bennett if they did that to him. That has the potential to be the worst line in the league and really kill any confidence Bennett has left.

The only reason that would be the worst line in the league would be if Bennett regresses for the 3rd season in a row. Which would be 100% on him and only him.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Not the lineups for tonight, but this was the practice group this morning:

Johnny - Mony - Neal
Chucky - Backs - Czarnik
Frolik - Ryan - Lindholm
Benny - Jankowski - Hathawy
Lazar - Dube - Peluso

Giordano - Brodie
Hanifin - Hamonic
Kulak - Stone
Prout - Andersson.

If I had to hazard a guess, that's pretty damn close to what opening night is gonna look like.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
If I had to hazard a guess, that's pretty damn close to what opening night is gonna look like.

I’m lukewarm with what I see; but I’m hoping there’s still jockeying for position. I was thinking this AM that Calgary needs a breakout star. We need one of the kids or new adds to give us a 65-70 point campaign. I know Chucky is a good candidate.

Not sure how I feel about that third line.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Steinberg tweets tonight's projected line-up

Dube-Lindholm-Foo
Mangiapane-Ryan-Robinson
Klimchuk-Jankowski-Hathaway
Lomberg-Quine-Peluso

Giordano-Brodie
Hanifin-Hamonic
Valimaki-Andersson

Smith
Parsons

Reactions: Flameshomer

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Both Lindholm and Frolik on the same line is a waste. And Lindholm should be on the top line for faceoffs at least until Monahan's wrist gets comfortable.

I thought Peters would experiment a little more. Something like

Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm
Bennett-Backlund-Neal
Tkachuk-Ryan-Czarnik
Frolik-Jankowski-Hathaway/Dube/Mangiapane
Lazar

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

Dube-Lindholm-Foo
Mangiapane-Ryan-Robinson
Lomberg-Quine-Peluso

Giordano-Brodie
Hanifin-Hamonic
Valimaki-Andersson

Smith
Parsons

Ooo our top pairing in a few years is out tonight :)

Reactions: Nanuuk

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton

Dube-Lindholm-Foo
Mangiapane-Ryan-Robinson
Lomberg-Quine-Peluso

Giordano-Brodie
Hanifin-Hamonic
Valimaki-Andersson

Smith
Parsons

Damn I love the look of this! Lindholm gets a fair crack at centre (I think we will be impressed, i for one am hoping he shakes out to our second line C over the season and forces backlund down to 3c) and Dube gets to play with some real NHL talent in Lindholm. IMO it's a "show me" game for both of them.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Neal
Tkachuk-Lindholm-Dube
Frolik-Backlund-Ryan

has the makings of a VERY interesting top 9. I would think that at least one of those lines has the potential to get a complete mismatch on the ice at any time.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
IMO that should be our D to start the year. Sorry Stone, but Rasmus looks like he's here to steal your job and Kulak just isn't that good.

Well.
I think they'll give Juuso a year in Stockton, just to polish off. He'll play 25 minutes+ a night down there and be a force. Rasmus is here to make Kulak expendable for sure.

I'd love Juuso in the NHL though, just to watch him progress. That dude's going to be a 1D in this league for a decade as early as 2020.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
Well.
I think they'll give Juuso a year in Stockton, just to polish off. He'll play 25 minutes+ a night down there and be a force. Rasmus is here to make Kulak expendable for sure.

I'd love Juuso in the NHL though, just to watch him progress. That dude's going to be a 1D in this league for a decade as early as 2020.

I agree- that is most likely. I think there's something to be said about showing faith in a guy's confidence and letting them taste the league though. Juuso strikes me as one of those guys who would eat up that faith and pay it out in spades. It would be very un-flames like though!

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I agree- that is most likely. I think there's something to be said about showing faith in a guy's confidence and letting them taste the league though. Juuso strikes me as one of those guys who would eat up that faith and pay it out in spades. It would be very un-flames like though!

We got any useless depth? Yeah make sure they play.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
I'd prefer not to see Dube at RW. I'd prefer him to be a centre or a LW and if he can't bump someone this year, then a year in the A wouldn't hurt him. I don't want to see a repeat of Sam Bennett struggling to learn his way.

Reactions: Migos

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
We got any useless depth? Yeah make sure they play.

To me, Kulak is useless depth on the back, and Hathaway and Lazar are the useless ones up front. Even in an injury situation I think we have players in Kylington, Foo, Klimchuk, etc that can step up and fill their spots (not even including andersson, dube, and valimaki). I was really hoping to see Lazar come out strong this year but I am not sure why. Watching him play is very disappointing.

Stone is useful and good, but I think that we could sit him in the pressbox for most of the season and his level of play would remain consistent when we did need him, allowing us to ice the Valimaki-ANdersson pairing for most games...

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
To me, Kulak is useless depth on the back, and Hathaway and Lazar are the useless ones up front. Even in an injury situation I think we have players in Kylington, Foo, Klimchuk, etc that can step up and fill their spots (not even including andersson, dube, and valimaki). I was really hoping to see Lazar come out strong this year but I am not sure why. Watching him play is very disappointing.

Stone is useful and good, but I think that we could sit him in the pressbox for most of the season and his level of play would remain consistent when we did need him, allowing us to ice the Valimaki-ANdersson pairing for most games...

I'm still of the opinion Valimaki isn't NHL ready. Not in the sense that he couldn't hack it decently on the bottom pair, but that he's better served playing top minutes in the AHL.

He's had flashes of great play, but he's also made several notable bad plays to me, errant passes and bad decisions when under pressure, especially in the defensive zone.

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
I'd prefer not to see Dube at RW. I'd prefer him to be a centre or a LW and if he can't bump someone this year, then a year in the A wouldn't hurt him. I don't want to see a repeat of Sam Bennett struggling to learn his way.

I totally agree. If we have injury issues I have no problem calling him up and playing him at wing, but I'd rather see him cook in the A at centre.

As for Valimaki, he needs a year or two IMO in the AHL, again wouldn't mind calling him up for injuries. By that time a spot or two should open up on the D core for him.

Reactions: Nanuuk

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad