Confirmed with Link: FLA trades Stralman, prospect Kolyachonok, & a 2nd rounder ('24) to ARI for a 7th rounder ('24)

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
My guess is Verhaege gets the Duke deal: he doesn't have Bennett's playoff record not the prime position. I also don't think we want longer term given that Deni+Tippett are almost here.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
I think it's funny that Arizona is making the deals that Seattle should be. Are they going all in on Landy and Dougie?

imo the Yotes is a mess. They are effectively absorbing all defunct roster players in the league in order to acquire every single 2nd round pick available and considering how well the Yotes draft those picks are worthless for them. All we need to do is to draft another Weegar with that 7th round pick and this was a landslide victory for the Panthers. :D

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015
Yeah, looking at the Coyotes roster, that’s barely an AHL team. They are guaranteed to finish bottom 3.

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
People will be upset about what we gave up, but read what I said in the Reinhart trade thread. Draft picks are free assets from the league, use them however you want.

Kolyachonok and a 2nd rounder, two pieces that may never play a single NHL game. I’d much rather win a cup. And we didn’t have to retain anything. Get the cap space, just drafted 3 D anyway. Move on. I view this as a win and another step towards the Cup.

Sorry but why is Tampa able to get the Cup. There Top Player and Core Player are all Draft Picks. So what? That allowed Tampa to get some contracts you usual only get with Draft picks, not with FA signings, who always ask for much more they should. Another thing also is, what Zito now is doing get some over trades. What Tampa did over Years, was amazing Cap play, what was them allowed with there long term Core team.
And here also none contract is over 10 Million, in the end every Million counts.

So yes trade with prospects and Draft Picks, but a big core of own Drafted Player is also a chance to win the Cup twice.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
Yeah, looking at the Coyotes roster, that’s barely an AHL team. They are guaranteed to finish bottom 3.

Once they get a top notch prospect or two, then they'll have issues with the locker room culture because they've been fostering the same ol' mercenary culture which kept them in the bottom of the barrel. I don't think they'll be any different in regards to the amount of talent in the lineup and culture issues than the Flames have right now.

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
Sorry but why is Tampa able to get the Cup. There Top Player and Core Player are all Draft Picks. So what? That allowed Tampa to get some contracts you usual only get with Draft picks, not with FA signings, who always ask for much more they should. Another thing also is, what Zito now is doing get some over trades. What Tampa did over Years, was amazing Cap play, what was them allowed with there long term Core team.
And here also none contract is over 10 Million, in the end every Million counts.

So yes trade with prospects and Draft Picks, but a big core of own Drafted Player is also a chance to win the Cup twice.

Yes. We have a drafted core. Barkov, Ekblad, Weegar, Huberdeau, soon to be Knight and Lundell. Tippett is around, maybe Denisenko soon.

But the fact of the matter is, this team has been very bad at drafting the other parts of the lineup. Good bottom-6 guys, complimentary guys, etc, so we’ve been forced to go out and find them in FA.

Sure, Zito should be drafting as much as possible, but we’re also in a position to make a run and you have to be willing to make moves and not be attached to the picks, because the window is only open for so long.

Don’t forget the lightning traded a 1st round prospect (Nolan Foote) AND a 1st round pick for Blake Coleman.

They also traded a 1st and a 3rd for David Savard this year.

If you’re smart, you can make those trades and not suffer too much. Eventually you get into a position to get able to get those types of assets back.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
This all-knowing board ranked our prospects such that Koly was #6, only D ahead of him was Stillman at #5, and then had Gildon at #7, Ludwig #11, Priskie #17, Keeper #18.

Ideally we’d have kept Koly but we’ve got so much return for two goalies we couldn’t/wouldn’t have kept and a first and second, plus money to get rid of sonk, that you can’t assume NOT to have to pay SOMETHING for friggen Bennett, Reinhart, and salary cap to find another D.

Z keeps blowing everyone away but people are a bit stuck in the old panthers ways, like wait this is a good dream, when do I get back on familiar ground with nightmares? Oh here it is! Zito fd up big by giving two seconds! Unbelievable! Geez guys relax and let the genius do his thing. Don’t miss the SC parade next year either.

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
This all-knowing board ranked our prospects such that Koly was #6, only D ahead of him was Stillman at #5, and then had Gildon at #7, Ludwig #11, Priskie #17, Keeper #18.

Ideally we’d have kept Koly but we’ve got so much return for two goalies we couldn’t/wouldn’t have kept and a first and second, plus money to get rid of sonk, that you can’t assume NOT to have to pay SOMETHING for friggen Bennett, Reinhart, and salary cap to find another D.

Z keeps blowing everyone away but people are a bit stuck in the old panthers ways, like wait this is a good dream, when do I get back on familiar ground with nightmares? Oh here it is! Zito fd up big by giving two seconds! Unbelievable! Geez guys relax and let the genius do his thing. Don’t miss the SC parade next year either.

I will be the first to admit I don’t know much of anything about any of our prospects except the ones that have played in the NHL. I’ve never seen any of them play! I’m willing to defer to the people who’s job it is to watch these guys play all year, not just stat watch or see nice GIFs online.

PBPantherfan

Feb 7, 2010
Lake Worth, FL
The Panthers stocked up on draft picks all through Tallon’s tenure and never wanted to trade any of them. Barkov, Huby, Ekblad, etc are all in their prime now. I’d rather trade some future picks and prospects now to get guys that help the core now than wait for those prospects to maybe develop in 3-5 years when the core is trending downward and/or breaking up. This franchise has never gone for it so if they go all out and fail I’ll take it over the last 20 years of playing it safe and failing. Zito has been good so far so I’ll trust him until he screws it up.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
The Panthers stocked up on draft picks all through Tallon’s tenure and never wanted to trade any of them.

Not true at all... remember those pivotal trades for Hudler and Purcell? Changed the course of Panthers history forever...
This comes down Dale's inability evaluate talent and value... he was usually trading picks when he shouldn't and didn't trade picks when he should've.

Reactions: letsgrowcactus

PSLguy

#TimeToHunt
Jan 14, 2013
Port St. Lucie, FL

Ok, why is everyone claiming we gave Arizona two second round picks?

Unless everyone is using Koly as the second one. If so, IMO, that is ridiculous. Just because he was selected in the second round doesn't mean we gave them 2 second round picks!

Someone else mentioned we could have had McDonaugh for Borgstrom a few years ago. Would that have been giving the Rags a first round pick?

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
I will be the first to admit I don’t know much of anything about any of our prospects except the ones that have played in the NHL. I’ve never seen any of them play! I’m willing to defer to the people who’s job it is to watch these guys play all year, not just stat watch or see nice GIFs online.
I don’t know anything really about them other than some of the links right here…. I just thought it was interesting that people actually ranked him pretty high as a prospect. If he turns into sergachev in 3 years and we don’t sniff the cup, okay then I’ll say it wasn’t a good move. But I’m happy to see Zito roll the dice.

Reactions: batting1k

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
imo the Yotes is a mess. They are effectively absorbing all defunct roster players in the league in order to acquire every single 2nd round pick available and considering how well the Yotes draft those picks are worthless for them. All we need to do is to draft another Weegar with that 7th round pick and this was a landslide victory for the Panthers. :D

Coyotes hired the assistants from the last two teams to win the cup to fill their hockey ops, will be interesting to see how that plays out going forward.

GM Bill Armstrong, from AGM with St Louis
Director of Scouting Darryl Plandowski, from AD with Tampa.

Turned over the whole scouting department as well.

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
It's been a pleasure having you @TeslaCoilFan

Thanks. I'll still probably lurk a bit. Always had a soft spot for the Cats and still love Barkov. :heart:

Can I just point out that this dude in the last year of his career waived to go to a bottom 3 team but that other asshat refused, what a clown :laugh:

Strålman is and always has been a total class act. I'm sorry that COVID meant y'all never got to experience his kindness to fans. While he was in Tampa, he was always stopping to interact with the fans. I know he had injury problems off and on the two seasons he was a Cat, but at least y'all did get to see some of what he used to be capable of during these last playoffs. Just wish he wasn't going to Arizona. :(

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011

It's not like anyone is shouting about it on the roof of BB&T Center, but okay. I'm expecting there to be other moves to justify this, but we're allowed to disagree on what we see right now, and right now the trade doesn't look that great. Hanzal summed it up perfectly in this post:

Because we just gave up 2 2nds to either promote god awful Nutivaara or hand out a multi-year deal to Suter? Unless he has some more magic waiting.

Zito's track record (so far) deserves the benefit of the doubt, but it'll be interesting to see how quickly people turn on him if or when the trades aren't all unicorns and rainbows.

Reactions: letsgrowcactus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad