Confirmed with Link: FLA trades Stralman, prospect Kolyachonok, & a 2nd rounder ('24) to ARI for a 7th rounder ('24)

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
Yeah it was more than I expected. Was just expecting a 2nd, which happened, but kolyachonok on top seems like a little more than expected. Having said that it most likely isn’t a huge loss. If we didn’t move Stralman we wouldn’t have anything left after resigning reinhart. Now we have flexibility. We also have Ludwig and gildon. Not to mention priskie and just signed Kiersted. Kept juulsen. All of our current nhl guys who are still young/in their prime. And the D we literally just drafted. And we still have berger, right? Losing one d prospect who may never see the light of day in the nhl, in a couple years, or even so may just be bottom pairing? We still have plenty of prospects. That cap space will be useful

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Is his value really a 2nd today?

Zito going for it, you got to love it
How is it going for it though?

To sign Ryan Suter, who I do not want? If not, defense lines up as:

Ekblad-Weegs
Gudas-Forsling
2 of Kierstad, Nutivaara, Juul, Ludwig

You're banking on Ekblad and Weegar continuing their form, Gudas in the top 4 is a question mark, and obviously you don't want 2 rookies or Nutivaara in your regular 5/6 spots. All that in front of very questionable goaltending. Florida has imo the best top 9 in the league but that defense and (potentially goaltending if Knight struggles and Bob continues to be mediocre) won't get it done.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
How is it going for it though?

To sign Ryan Suter, who I do not want? If not, defense lines up as:

Ekblad-Weegs
Gudas-Forsling
2 of Kierstad, Nutivaara, Juul, Ludwig

You're banking on Ekblad and Weegar continuing their form, Gudas in the top 4 is a question mark, and obviously you don't want 2 rookies or Nutivaara in your regular 5/6 spots. All that in front of very questionable goaltending. Florida has imo the best top 9 in the league but that defense and (potentially goaltending if Knight struggles and Bob continues to be mediocre) won't get it done.

He is creating cap space.

Did you expect Zito to be able to get rid of Matheson, did you expect Zito to go get Bennett before it happen, did you expect Zito to go out and get Reinhart before it happened?

There’s noway he isn’t adding on defense and just getting rid of Yandle& Stralman makes the Dgroup better. They were liabilities.

He will add for sure, now and/or at the deadline

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Once teams load up on salary it becomes harder to unload salary by default (the law of demand and supply and such 'n such).
The two teams in question aren't in a position to do that though. Arizona has little to no money and Florida is signing depth forwards, if even that.

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
He is creating cap space.

Did you expect Zito to be able to get rid of Matheson, did you expect Zito to go get Bennett before it happen, did you expect Zito to go out and get Reinhart before it happened?

There’s noway he isn’t adding on defense and just getting rid of Yandle& Stralman makes the Dgroup better. They were liabilities.

He will add for sure, now and/or at the deadline

Exactly. Everyone’s like “omg what is he doing?” Meanwhile no one expected/saw basically any of the moves coming that he’s made so far. I’m willing to be patient, and actually excited because a cap clearing move like this when there was only a year left… must mean something else is coming.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
We have Ekblad, Weegar, and forsling in our top-4. Gudas on our bottom pairing. That’s a great setup and we absolutely will make another addition. I don’t get the suter hate, I understand he’s older and would rather stay away from a 4yr deal which sounds like what he’ll end up getting somewhere. But he’s still very solid, not the star he was before, but not THAT much worse. He’d be a huge add. At least for the present, we’ll see down the line. I was annoyed signing jovo to 4yrs instead of 2 and we see how that worked out. But suter is sitting better than jovo was. I wasn’t be as concerned if it did happen

we now have 11.8mil to spend, after reinhart we’ll still have a good chunk to make another signing (and maybe another small signing too)

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
Thank you, Anton. True class act.

I don't give a shit about Kolyachonok. It's been years since a KHL defenseman came over and was able to stick in the NHL. On top of that we have Gildon, Ludvig, and Kiersted as LHD who each have shown major promise in their own ways.

That being said, quite pricey with the additional 2nd Rounder.

Reactions: HockeyRulez

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Exactly. Everyone’s like “omg what is he doing?” Meanwhile no one expected/saw basically any of the moves coming that he’s made so far. I’m willing to be patient, and actually excited because a cap clearing move like this when there was only a year left… must mean something else is coming.

Yep, I had no idea he’d go for either Bennett or Reinhart but absolutely love it.
Especiallu Reinhart(proven consistent top line winger at 25y).

Few days and we’ll be much more wiser.

Also maybe this sets up Zito to get Reinhart on a longterm deal, as said before Reinhart grew tired of shortterm prove it deals in Buffalo

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
The two teams in question aren't in a position to do that though. Arizona has little to no money and Florida is signing depth forwards, if even that.

The Yotes needed dmen since pretty much half of their defense is UFA... so Armstrong thinks that he can add a dman plus take 2nd round picks in the process. But something else has to take place since, in a vacuum, this looks like a questionable trade. The picks as themselves are pretty much meaningless if the Cats should contend in the next season.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
I don't give a shit about Kolyachonok. It's been years since a KHL defenseman came over and was able to stick in the NHL. On top of that we have Gildon, Ludvig, and Kiersted as LHD who each have shown major promise in their own ways.

Koly feels like another prospect that Marco Dano used to be: played big minutes for the Slovak national team and played in the KHL too... and his game just didn't translate to the NHL. (ofc Koly played OHL but...)

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Absolutely f***ing great!

And thank you Anton!

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Montour was better in the regular season.

But Stralman was WAY better than Montour in the playoffs. I would be surprised if that was the move (and I am a Montour supporter).

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
Can I just point out that this dude in the last year of his career waived to go to a bottom 3 team but that other asshat refused, what a clown :laugh:

Just wait when Yandle becomes a color commentator for the ESPN and educates the viewers on how to be a great teammate and a personality in the locker room.

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
To me, for Zito to dump a guy who he didn’t draft when he’s got 2 or 3 D he likes better (Kiersted, Ludvig, Carlsson + the guys from this years draft) to free up $5 mil to potentially make a signing or 2 or have some breathing room to extend guys…. Seems like a no brainer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad