Confirmed Trade: [FLA/PIT] Bjugstad & McCann for Brassard, Sheahan, 2nd 2019, 4th 2019, 4th 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 25, 2009
éal
McCann with 8 goals total 11 points in 19 games with Pittsburgh

Is he reaching his potential at 22? Is he the next average winger Sid turn in a sniper?

5 goals 2 assists un last 7 games

domaug

Play Virtua Fighter, let's go Pens
Sep 28, 2017
up de Eynon
I'm issuing a correction on my previous post in here. both have been very solid as of late.

McCann has flashed more skill lately and has looked like the better player overall, but Bjugstad has been better than "nothing".

Reactions: Tacitus Kilgore

Son Goku

henlo u stinky egg
Mar 8, 2014
The World Of Void

Is he reaching his potential at 22? Is he the next average winger Sid turn in a sniper?

watching him play he seems more than average. He has great skills, smart guy, decently fast, well rounded. I’ve noticed he scores in clutch situations for us. A pleasant addition to the top six.

Reactions: Giskard

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015
McCann is solid and will be missed, but if he was the price to get rid of that loser Bjugstad, then so be it.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

Time will tell but the early indications are encouraging and I'm not just talking about the points, but also the way he's started to incorporate Crosby-isms into his game like Sheary and Guentzel did before. There's something heartwarming about watching a youngster instantly go for the bank off the goaltender off a rebound like Sid would.

Reactions: Soggy Biscuit

Fatty McLardy

Oct 6, 2017
Time will tell but the early indications are encouraging and I'm not just talking about the points, but also the way he's started to incorporate Crosby-isms into his game like Sheary and Guentzel did before. There's something heartwarming about watching a youngster instantly go for the bank off the goaltender off a rebound like Sid would.

One of the broadcasters were saying, Mears i think (?), Mccann tries to emulate Crosby in practice as much as possible after seeing how hard Sid practices. Maybe that's why he's picking up these tendencies.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
McCann is solid and will be missed, but if he was the price to get rid of that loser Bjugstad, then so be it.

Bjugstad has been playing really well since he was moved to pivot and kept there. Scored another big goal yesterday.

Definitely showing signs of being like Staal. Just like Staal, he doesn’t have to be a world beater, or be a star every night. Just keep doing his thing and he could be a home run for JR.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

McCann hasn’t really done much with Crosby. He’s gotten pretty much all of his goals away from him. He’s been bounced around from the third line to the first every other game or so, rotating with Simon.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Bjugstad has been playing really well since he was moved to pivot and kept there. Scored another big goal yesterday.

Definitely showing signs of being like Staal. Just like Staal, he doesn’t have to be a world beater, or be a star every night. Just keep doing his thing and he could be a home run for JR.

That's the difference though, the Pens can afford that type of player while the Panthers expect the production out of him every night.
Can't be much happier with the outcome of this trade so far, especially McCann, what a steal he is turning out to be!

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Ya he's never used his size to intimidate but he does use his size well down low and while protecting the puck in cycle play or driving to the net off the wing. Can't say I ever remember seeing him land a HUGE hit, he's had a fight or two but never been known to be physical. Feel his wrister has let him down for the most part. He's pretty good at fore/backchecking but just isn't super skilled to finish off 50% of his chances he gets. 15-20 goal/40-50pt player at peak.

Bjgustad seems very much like Jordan Staal offensively (not as good defensively of course), there are times when he puts all his tools to good use and you think he's going to a 60 point guy who is dominant on the cycle then other times when he looks like a 30 point 3rd liner. He has looked good with Simon and Hornqvist on his wings though.

Last edited:
Reactions: ThePatientPanther

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
I'm issuing a correction on my previous post in here. both have been very solid as of late.

McCann has flashed more skill lately and has looked like the better player overall, but Bjugstad has been better than "nothing".

They both have been a big upgrade over Brassard and Sheahan so it was a great trade. We get the 3rd line Center we have been looking for to replace Bonino and also a Center/Winger that we are using at wing and has been a point a game in his last 7 games with 5 goals also.

To get two productive young players 26 and 22 with years of control for two UFA’s that had been playing terrible for us is a steal of a deal. To get two players like that and only adding a 2nd and two 4ths is the best type of deal. A future 2nd and 2 4ths that might never make it to the NHL and if one of those picks did make it to the big show it would be 5 years down the line when our Cup window is closed. Chances are non of those picks will produce a player as good as either McCann or Bjugstad let alone both so this is a can’t lose trade for the Pens.

Reactions: TNT87 and domaug

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
It's not all of us. Some of us, let's just say... have some issues.

Every player who is big but not Lindros will have their vocal detractors. Bjugstad is a solid tweeter player with some really nice hands with his reach. McCann could be a middle six guy or blossom into a top six energy winger, either one is great.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
Yeah, its early days yet, but they both look damn good, and McCann looks even better than Bjug. That SH goal against Boston had it all: speed, awareness, explosiveness, and the finish, ohhh, mama mia...(chef kiss gesture)

I'll confess that I am no longer convinced Rutherford is infallible. He's missed a lot lately. But this deal has shades of the Perron-For-Hagelin one in 2016. Made a big deal that never went right (Brassard...for whatever reason) and didn't wait around forever before trying to salvage something from it.

Meanwhile Florida gets a 3rd for a depressed value Brass, and Sheahan seems to be fitting in well and can be a long term depth piece. If clearing Bjug and McCann means Florida lands the Russians twins from Columbus, then this one really looks like a win-win-win (third smaller win for Pitt because CBJ probably gets weaker)

It's not all of us. Some of us, let's just say... have some issues.
Like every fanbase, unfortunately. There was a contingent of Pens fans who wanted to throw Murray down a well 3 weeks ago. And there are a special few out there who still think he's not the real deal.

Last edited:

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
Bjugstad has been really good for us in the 3C hole. Not really sure what bothers Florida about him besides the high draft pick. He’s easily worth his 4 mil salary for being a 30ish point 3C.

Has nothing to do with his draft position. Pens will see what we mean within time

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
One of the broadcasters were saying, Mears i think (?), Mccann tries to emulate Crosby in practice as much as possible after seeing how hard Sid practices. Maybe that's why he's picking up these tendencies.
Interesting. I wonder if thats always happend since Crosby started. Benefits of having a generational player...

Trade

Guentzel is ELITE
Apr 13, 2015
Has nothing to do with his draft position. Pens will see what we mean within time
so you're saying there's no way a player who played the start of his career for a basement-dwelling franchise has no chance of becoming a better player once he gets to a better team playing in a role better suited for him in 3c?

Not too sure about that one. He's been everything we could've hoped for, and Pitt has relatively high standards for a 3C.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
so you're saying there's no way a player who played the start of his career for a basement-dwelling franchise has no chance of becoming a better player once he gets to a better team playing in a role better suited for him in 3c?

Not too sure about that one. He's been everything we could've hoped for, and Pitt has relatively high standards for a 3C.

This post screams Schultz.

Reactions: Trade

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada

How many playoff games experience do they both have, Bjugstad actually did look good in his 5 postseason showings? I like McCann, he is soft but has a good motor, skating and a decent shot but I'm curious how both of them do in the playoffs this year.

Reactions: Trade

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
That's the difference though, the Pens can afford that type of player while the Panthers expect the production out of him every night.
Can't be much happier with the outcome of this trade so far, especially McCann, what a steal he is turning out to be!
The Panthers didn't expect production out of him every night, no one does from their 3rd line, but he lost his 3C spot to Borgstrom. So he had to play 3RW. Once you factor in that the Panthers have invested a lot of draft capital in their RW, you see that Bjug could have been relegated to the 4th line as soon as next season. Getting rid of his salary was necessary to invest cap space towards positions of need.
I think highly of McCann, I would have liked to keep him, but he was outplayed by Vatrano on the wing and you need to give something for someone to take on Bjugstad.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
The Panthers didn't expect production out of him every night, no one does from their 3rd line, but he lost his 3C spot to Borgstrom. So he had to play 3RW. Once you factor in that the Panthers have invested a lot of draft capital in their RW, you see that Bjug could have been relegated to the 4th line as soon as next season. Getting rid of his salary was necessary to invest cap space towards positions of need.
I think highly of McCann, I would have liked to keep him, but he was outplayed by Vatrano on the wing and you need to give something for someone to take on Bjugstad.

Well I guess it was a trade that benefited both teams in term of their needs going forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad