Confirmed Trade: [FLA/ARZ] Bolland + Crouse for 2nd + 3rd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
These gross exaggerations, and generalizations aren't helping your case or making you look less emotional.

I know you don't hate the Leafs, but someone certainly poo poo'd on your front porch this morning.

::I come in peace::

;)

Edit-

To answer your question: the biggest moment for the Leafs in the last 10 years was winning the draft lottery. A close 2nd would be when Colton Orr beat the crap (single handedly) out of the MTL Canadiens.

Seriously though - what was a gross exaggeration? If there was no Maple Leafs, my guess is that the reduction in the cap (which means teams would be spending less) would offset the lack of the Leaf's contribution to the revenue sharing pool.

It would obviously be bad for the NHLPA (less cap $'s), but IMO the gross exaggeration was that there is no league without the Leaf's. There obviously the largest revenue generator, and have a great history, but the hyperbole wasn't on my part.

ForSpareParts*

This thread is getting carried away. Basically Draft junkies bashing a team that is trying to go deeper into the post season (I am not sure of Reims can do that for you. Hopefully Lou can stay healthy).

Florida drafted and developed fairly well, so what is left? Probably freeing cap space for UFA hired guns or trades for missing pieces.

Ok. Tallon made a mistake with Bolland. So what?!

I think everyone is here basically to get a second chance to bash Tallon's mistake. Give it a rest.

I expect more from FLA. They have to. They are now competing.

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013
They would not have traded Crouse had they not had some question marks. He might be closer to Kassian than Lucic

varano

Jun 27, 2013
Because it's HF Boards, and because the Coyotes are involved.

Here is the fact that matters: John Chayka is exploiting the CBA to maximize his assets. One of his assets is cap space. How and why he has that cap space is immaterial to the transactions - it only matters to people whose sense of propriety is somehow violated.

Nothing he is doing is in violation of the CBA.

And EVERY OTHER FRANCHISE IN THE LEAGUE would do the same thing if they had the same circumstances and anyone with even a modicum of insight.

You're way offf base. Here's where your argument starts and ends. The only other team who has this level of "insight" is the hurricanes. Hnmmm another team with financial issues. Shocker. But how many teams have 18million dollars of their cap tied up in players who can't play. Only one. Can you figure out who?

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
They would not have traded Crouse had they not had some question marks. He might be closer to Kassian than Lucic

Yet was just ranked as the 16th best prospect from the absurdly deep 2015 Draft on hf boards just recently.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Either way, this is a loss for Florida any way you slice it.

-Mistake 1: The absurd contract given to Bolland by Tallon.
-Mistake 2: Drafting a prospect 11th overall in a historically deep draft only to view him as expendable in a cap dump trade just over one year later.
-Mistake 3: Trading 11th overall draft pick one year later in cap dump.

There is no winning this deal for Florida. There is just damage control.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
You're way offf base. Here's where your argument starts and ends. The only other team who has this level of "insight" is the hurricanes. Hnmmm another team with financial issues. Shocker. But how many teams have 18million dollars of their cap tied up in players who can't play. Only one. Can you figure out who?

Your obsession is hilarious, but your arguments - and those of others like you - are reminiscent of army generals in a battle who, faced with asymmetrical tactics and unexpected strategies from a desperate opponent, get red-faced and sputter, "But they can't DO that!" as their flanks are getting rolled up.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Because it's HF Boards, and because the Coyotes are involved.

Here is the fact that matters: John Chayka is exploiting the CBA to maximize his assets. One of his assets is cap space. How and why he has that cap space is immaterial to the transactions - it only matters to people whose sense of propriety is somehow violated.

Nothing he is doing is in violation of the CBA.

And EVERY OTHER FRANCHISE IN THE LEAGUE would do the same thing if they had the same circumstances and anyone in charge with even a modicum of insight.

Your exactly correct. In a couple of years the Coyotes will not be doing this because they can't, but other team will be in position to do it.

The Coyotes must be really high on Crouse because the way I see this trade is that Florida traded away a bad contract + a potential 3rd liner maybe 2nd/3rd tweener and still managed to get back a couple good draft picks.

We have no idea what the draft picks will be, but most times a 3rd rounder doesn't even play in the NHL.

Like I said before it's not revenue sharing. It's percentage sharing. The brand, depending on quarterly markets are shared throughout the companies. Each franchise owns a small piece of the big pie.

You're exactly right, so the NHL is ran like corporate then if that makes you feel better. NHL is the brand and the franchises are their markets. You've shown enough of your ignorance throughout this thread, so I'll leave it alone.

Good luck to the Leafs this year!

Sorry SR your wrong about revenue sharing or percentage sharing or whatever you want to call it. Company stores is one thing, but a franchise store does not share anything from franchisor other than name and system. I have been there and done that.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Your exactly correct. In a couple of years the Coyotes will not be doing this because they can't, but other team will be in position to do it.

Most likely, they won't - it all depends on what happens when the next lockout happens (and it most likely will happen), but I'm guessing that there might be some tightening up of contractual loopholes surrounding LTIR and the cap.

But the overarching point is that playing with cap numbers is not a Coyotes-only phenomenon. Hell, Pronger's contract itself is a sterling example of another team playing fast and loose with the cap rules, but nobody seems to remember it.

Last edited:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

The reason the Coyotes are doing it is because they can. In two years time this will not be possible because of our ELC's will be looking for a raise, along with OEL.

Haj

#CatsAreComing
Apr 6, 2003
Arlington, VA
Either way, this is a loss for Florida any way you slice it.

-Mistake 1: The absurd contract given to Bolland by Tallon.
-Mistake 2: Drafting a prospect 11th overall in a historically deep draft only to view him as expendable in a cap dump trade just over one year later.
-Mistake 3: Trading 11th overall draft pick one year later in cap dump.

There is no winning this deal for Florida. There is just damage control.

I agree with this assesment. I like Chayka's utilization of cap space to acquire assets.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Most likely, they won't - it all depends on what happens when the next lockout happens (and it most likely will happen, but I'm guessing that there might be some tightening up of contractual loopholes surrounding LTIR and the cap.

But the overarching point is that playing with cap numbers is not a Coyotes-only phenomenon. Hell, Pronger's contract itself is a sterling example of another team playing fast and loose with the cap rules, but nobody seems to remember it.

You may be right, but for the time being, other teams will take advantage of this when they can. Because it's "the Coyotes" everyone is up in arms.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
This thread is getting carried away. Basically Draft junkies bashing a team that is trying to go deeper into the post season (I am not sure of Reims can do that for you. Hopefully Lou can stay healthy).

Florida drafted and developed fairly well, so what is left? Probably freeing cap space for UFA hired guns or trades for missing pieces.

Ok. Tallon made a mistake with Bolland. So what?!

I think everyone is here basically to get a second chance to bash Tallon's mistake. Give it a rest.

I expect more from FLA. They have to. They are now competing.

You hit the nail on the head. It was a good trade, both teams got what they wanted.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
There was no revenue sharing in the 80's, even in the 90's, which is why some Canadian franchises no longer exist. And the fast food comparison is ridiculous, one franchise doesn't charge 300% to 500% percent more than one in the brand for entrance or a basic meal at an establishment to maximize profits at the Time Square Location so it can support a failing business in a terrible location. The price of a Big Mac is quite universal between Canadian and American locations, that is not true for hockey tickets.

But whatever, this trade works for both teams, it doesn't need to be a pissing match over revenue sharing. As long as Bettman wields his power among the have-nots by courting the 23 owners he needs to remain in power it is here to stay.

I thought some Canadian teams received financial support from the league in the 80's when the Canadian $ was in the toilet. A little of topic here but the pricing of a Big Mac is quite different between Canadian and American locations for various reasons. In fact, prices can vary between cities in the same province or state. If they are company run, most times the prices are the same in that state or province.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
I thought some Canadian teams received financial support from the league in the 80's when the Canadian $ was in the toilet. A little of topic here but the pricing of a Big Mac is quite different between Canadian and American locations for various reasons. In fact, prices can vary between cities in the same province or state. If they are company run, most times the prices are the same in that state or province.
The prices of a big Mac vary between American and Canadian based off of food cost variation

varano

Jun 27, 2013
Your obsession is hilarious, but your arguments - and those of others like you - are reminiscent of army generals in a battle who, faced with asymmetrical tactics and unexpected strategies from a desperate opponent, get red-faced and sputter, "But they can't DO that!" as their flanks are getting rolled up.

If that was supposed to be a cool metaphor ....it wasn't.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
You may be right, but for the time being, other teams will take advantage of this when they can. Because it's "the Coyotes" everyone is up in arms.
Several gms of higher revenue teams were pissed about this trade. But in due defence , they are not hostile towards Arizona. Just hostile with the mockery of the cap loopholes

Desert Panther

Resident Lurker
Jun 23, 2002
Frisco, TX
Visit site
You hit the nail on the head. It was a good trade, both teams got what they wanted.

This trade was a "future look" from a Florida perspective. The cap space generated will be taken up by Ekblad, Smith and Huberdeau's (assuming the extension gets done) raises which will all take effect next year. Had Bolland still been on the books, they'd be in an overage situation and instead of costing Crouse now, dumping Bolland would have cost much more like the TT trade.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
They obviously can vary, but not to the extent of 300% to 500%, the is the variation between Arizona and Leafs tickets, in some cases even more extreme than that. There was some balancing in baseball, but nothing significant in hockey, it is a major reason there is serious resentment towards Bettman in Canada, as many feel he let Winnipeg and QC die, and was willing to let Ottawa and Edmonton too. The only thing I can remember the league doing to help a Canadian franchise was alter the league's constitution so the Oilers could have an unconventional ownership structure (similar to the Packers).

The main point of what I said about the big mac is that we are paying AAA steak prices for a hamburger, and other fans are getting the same product with food stamps. It builds a little resentment, mostly irrational because even without RS we wouldn't see those savings and it would only be really returned with no salary cap. Either way, it is pointless to blame fans here who are passionate to sign up here for the fact that they live in a terrible market (and can't convert their friends), they'd be as devastated as we would be if they lost their team.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
They obviously can vary, but not to the extent of 300% to 500%, the is the variation between Arizona and Leafs tickets, in some cases even more extreme than that. There was some balancing in baseball, but nothing significant in hockey, it is a major reason there is serious resentment towards Bettman in Canada, as many feel he let Winnipeg and QC die, and was willing to let Ottawa and Edmonton too. The only thing I can remember the league doing to help a Canadian franchise was alter the league's constitution so the Oilers could have an unconventional ownership structure (similar to the Packers).

The main point of what I said about the big mac is that we are paying AAA steak prices for a hamburger, and other fans are getting the same product with food stamps. It builds a little resentment, mostly irrational because even without RS we wouldn't see those savings and it would only be really returned with no salary cap. Either way, it is pointless to blame fans here who are passionate to sign up here for the fact that they live in a terrible market (and can't convert their friends), they'd be as devastated as we would be if they lost their team.

Bettman create the Canadian assistance plan for the four smaller teams. It wasn't much but it was something. Around a couple million dollars a year

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Several gms of higher revenue teams were pissed about this trade. But in due defence , they are not hostile towards Arizona. Just hostile with the mockery of the cap loopholes

Why? Other GMs are not any different. They would be using same or different loopholes as soon as they find a loophole.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad