Confirmed Trade: [FLA/ARZ] Bolland + Crouse for 2nd + 3rd

Status
Not open for further replies.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
The Bolland contract looked absolutely terrible from day 1. The guy hadnt scored more than 25 points in either of his two previous seasons, had missed ~45+ games both of the previous seasons, and had missed time on a bunch of seasons before that as well.

If Bolland played at his absolute peak for that whole contract with virtually no injuries (i.e. as a ~45 point checking centre), it STILL would have been on the more expensive side, and there was zero reason to expect he'd come close to playing at that level for 5 years. Physical checking line players often decline at an earlier age, and this is a guy with major injury history.

There's no defending this move. Sure, it's cap management, but its only necessary because they made a really really dumb move two years ago in signing him. If the average joe fan can look at that signing and know that its terrible, then multi-million dollar management teams should easily easily avoid it. Reminds me of the Clarkson contract.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
This guy shows up on pretty much every Yotes trade talking about how horrible the Coyotes are.. I was surprised he didn';t show until page 20.

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black

I don't care who you are a fan of blind man can see that the GM of the Coyotes has done an amazing job so far . To think how young he is and getting the upper hand on GM's that have been around the block a few time speaks volumes about him .

Well done . You will have a great team in no time

varano

Jun 27, 2013
You do realize that Datsyuk's contract wouldn't have cost Detroit a dime either if they had kept it, right?

There's a huge difference between playing with real money and cap money, and the Coyotes happen to have both they can use. If the Leafs had chosen to go the same route and managed to have success with it I seriously doubt you'd be here griping about it.

This isn't about team values or profits and losses. It's about using the system to your advantage. Rather than griping about what Arizona does, why not try griping about why the Leafs spent their money so poorly trying to buy a Stanley Cup because they couldn't play the system?

I'd love to know what the bloody hell you're talking about?

In the cap era, at what point were the leafs trying to buy a stanley cup??

HOW exactly do you buy a cup in the cap era? This isn't Baseball....

varano

Jun 27, 2013
Also Keller and getting Chychrun via Detroit in the first this year...

Tampa/Yzerman letting DeAngelo go for a 2nd was a bit of a head scratcher.

Why is it a head scratcher? DeAngelo is a project at best. He's a basket case that only has an offensive game.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
As a fan of analytics, it warms my heart seeing JC rip everyone off. Just don't trade with Shero!
He hasn't ripped anyone off, he got a good deal with the Red Wings just because his team can't spend. Red Wings actually got the better value end of that deal, they just used the cap-space irresponsibly. DeAngelo is a head-case with attitude issues, fine gamble, but not a landslide, I'd lean to trusting Tampa's management on this one. This deal I have a feeling had little to do with analytics, as Flordia seems to be embracing analytics also, and most analytics would say Crouse is not a good bet to be a high-end NHLer. I'd be more than happy to see Chayka do well, but I wouldn't call him the golden boy yet. I liked his draft (particularly Keller at 7, getting a slipping Chychrun was smart). But let's be honest, most of the great pool Coyotes acquired was done before he was moved up, and only pick in the 2015 draft you can see his impact is Merkley.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
Lol what do you stand to lose by 'zona getting dollars from the league to stay afloat (which is no longer really true anymore, anyway)? Are you concerned about your owner's paycheque? This is the exact kind of arrogance I was talking about: you take for granted the fact that you have a high-revenue team that never has to play moneyball, or worry about if they'll get relocated, or not being able to spend to the cap some years. Now, when 'zona gets a savvy GM, you start whining about them taking on a cap dump? Get real, 'bud.'

And also, your bizarre brag about the great business success of the Toronto Maple Leafs is certainly correct, but it completely missed the point I was making, and in fact helped support it even more.

Arizona lost 16 million in 2015, how much did they lose in 2016? We still don't know that yet. To think that they're anywhere near breakeven as you say is laughable.

20 million dollars worth of cap space allocated towards guys who can't play is the reason why Arizona remains a laughable franchise.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
He hasn't ripped anyone off, he got a good deal with the Red Wings just because his team can't spend. Red Wings actually got the better value end of that deal, they just used the cap-space irresponsibly. DeAngelo is a head-case with attitude issues, fine gamble, but not a landslide, I'd lean to trusting Tampa's management on this one. This deal I have a feeling had little to do with analytics, as Flordia seems to be embracing analytics also, and most analytics would say Crouse is not a good bet to be a high-end NHLer. I'd be more than happy to see Chayka do well, but I wouldn't call him the golden boy yet. I liked his draft (particularly Keller at 7, getting a slipping Chychrun was smart). But let's be honest, most of the great pool Coyotes acquired was done before he was moved up, and only pick in the 2015 draft you can see his impact is Merkley.

Maloney set up that franchise for future greatness. Chayka really did nothing except call franchises that actually spend money and tell them that the coyotes are broke as **** and are willing to spend the least amount of money possible on their highest cap hit players in exchange for players that can't crack lineups.

But the Coyotes are looking at :Domi, Duclair, Strome, Larrson, Stone, Murphy, Perlini,Dvorak. Thats a nice group of prospects before these Chayka moves happened.

So No...Not a golden boy by any means.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Good move by Florida to get rid of the Bolland contract. Saves them money to spend in other areas.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
This guy shows up on pretty much every Yotes trade talking about how horrible the Coyotes are.. I was surprised he didn';t show until page 20.

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black

You know...its funny..... If the NHL didn't prop up teams and actually let businesses operate like a normal franchise (tim hortons, mcdonalds etc), the coyotes would have been gone over a decade ago.

How black is that kettle?

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
I don't care who you are a fan of blind man can see that the GM of the Coyotes has done an amazing job so far . To think how young he is and getting the upper hand on GM's that have been around the block a few time speaks volumes about him .

He's not doing anything more than taking advantage of cap space. Other GM's need to open some up, and he's making it worth his own while to take these contracts by getting prospects or picks. The Coyotes have the upper hand in that case, just like Carolina did with Chicago.

avsfan9

Jul 28, 2011
Good move by Florida to get rid of the Bolland contract. Saves them money to spend in other areas.

So giving up a good young cost controlled prospect picked 11 th ova is a good move for getting rid of a bad contract that the franchise also aquired.:shakehead. That is poor management at its finest.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
So giving up a good young cost controlled prospect picked 11 th ova is a good move for getting rid of a bad contract that the franchise also aquired.:shakehead. That is poor management at its finest.

It depends on when you start looking at it. With the situation as it was yesterday morning, the Panthers got rid of the bad contract, and they're not hurting for young players in their organization. You can't go back and not do the Bolland contract, so you either have to live with it, or get rid of it. In a cap world, any bad contract will cost a team one way or another, and you have to deal with it in whatever way you think will hurt you the least.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
You know Crouse forecasts as a bottom six player at best right?

bigd

Jul 27, 2003

Don't pat him on the back just yet. He hasn't accomplished anything. Let's see how the season unfolds before we anoint him the wizard.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
You should show more respect to Leaf fans, without them we wouldn't have a league.

Get over your bad self. Take out TOR and what changes in the NHL? The cap comes down by probably $4-5M (which impacts nothing except what the NHLPA members bring home), and then life goes on.

What's the biggest Leaf's moment of the last 10 years? Blowing a 4-1 lead with 10 minutes to go in a game 7? The multiple melt-downs the final 20 games of the season? Am I missing something?

Going back 20 years - biggest moment? A couple of trips to the ECF?

I'm not a Maple Leafs hater, and feel for many of their good fans on this site because they get lumped in with the lunatic fringe that EVERY team has. Unfortunately the byproduct of having the most fans means that there are greater raw number of terrible homer posters, and the smart posters pay the price.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Tampa/Yzerman letting DeAngelo go for a 2nd was a bit of a head scratcher.

Not a head scratcher from my perspective. The organization sees DeAngelo EVERY day, and he was a potential head-case when drafted. The Bolts just saw enough of him to want to make that deal. All we see on this board is his draft position, and some healthy scratches at the AHL level.

If you read between the lines, the deal makes total sense IMO.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

I agree. Most were laughing at the Coyotes and some, including me, were real nervous because of the change of direction this team took. Over on the BOH forum, everyone has been criticizing IA, saying such things as having no direction, are broke, in over their head etc. but the way it looks, so far anyway, they know exactly what they are doing, and are showing that you don't have be a part of the "old boys club" to be successful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad