Confirmed Trade: [FLA/ARZ] Bolland + Crouse for 2nd + 3rd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Juggernaut27

#CatsHasCupNow?
Apr 29, 2014
Vancouver
I'm a bit confused on these trade the Coyotes have made. If they've taken on so much money in cap space, why aren't they on the hook for the actually paid contract, not just a fraction of the money owed?

LTIR. Bolland isn't suppose to be healthy this season. Maybe never.

If you mean actual cash being paid, the contracts are (mostly) insured.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I have to say, he's been solid at taking on zero/minimal cost contracts that free up space for other teams and being paid in future talent. Brian Burke was one of the early vocal members willing to sell cap space, he wasn't so successful. Chayka on the other hand has been doing it masterfully.

Seems like more than just the skaters on the ice will be getting younger. Chayka's putting on a clinic!

Don't forget about the GM in Detroit who's player waited to be traded before he "officially" retired from the NHL. The same GM who will likely give Johan Franzen the Chris Pronger treatment.

I'm not sure why some think it takes genius to sell cap space. All it requires is having ownership that want a bottom end salary structure and no real pressure to win any time soon. It also means not having any core players that care too much about winning right now. Chaya is in a position that no other GM has and is acting like any other GM would in his circumstance. It might benefit the team sometime in the future, as long as it doesn't destroy the team's culture first by having no focus on winning for the foreseeable future.

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
I'm not sure why some think it takes genius to sell cap space. All it requires is having ownership that want a bottom end salary structure and no real pressure to win any time soon. It also means not having any core players that care too much about winning right now. Chaya is in a position that no other GM has and is acting like any other GM would in his circumstance. It might benefit the team sometime in the future, as long as it doesn't destroy the team's culture first by having no focus on winning for the foreseeable future.

Don Maloney ( who I really like ) was in this position for a while and did take on he odd one. Chayka is using the cap space as an assett , and doesnt want to waste it.

He is filling up his cap space and aquiring young talent. This one tho unlike the other ones has a bit of a risk. If Bolland becomes healthy, then this turns into real dollars. If he stays in this condition then it is a very good move.

And we know Crouse is not the best prosepct , that needs to score tons of goals . He has a skillset that we lack , we have ( for the first time since we were the Jets) a cupboard of high end offensive players . We dont have anyone of his size with his skillset that can be implemented in with our group.

Crouse is ( we are voting on this now ) likely our 5th - 8th best prospect. We dont need him to be our top prospect for this to be a win for us.

cobra427

May 6, 2012

So who did they bring in or trade away to harm the teams culture?

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Several gms of higher revenue teams were pissed about this trade. But in due defence , they are not hostile towards Arizona. Just hostile with the mockery of the cap loopholes

How is that any different than teams taking on salary at the deadline to facilitate a trade? If teams would rather waste salary on dead space instead of improving their roster I'm fine with it.

Palmer2Fitz

Oct 2, 2015

I'm sorry but this is the most ignorant post I've seen on these boards. Why are you even posting in a Coyotes thread when you clearly know nothing about them? The rebuild would have been done many years ago it there was no pressure of winning and icing a competive team. And how could anyone actually think that any GM would do the same thing as Chayka has done? Well you clearly showed your lack of knowledge of the Coyotes so there isn't much to be said except please don't spread filth like this.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014

I thought that open season on the Coyotes closed a couple of years ago.
The first bolded part of the comment is a dig at Doan, Hanzal, and OEL.
The second bolded part is simply ludicrous and a rather flaccid attempt to drill Chayka.

The Coyotes added to arguably the best young core of prospects in the league at no cost to their future. The Datsyuk cap hit will be coming off the books long before the Coyotes need to pay second contracts to their young players. The Bolland contract will come off the books at the time the Coyotes will need to increase their payroll to keep their talent. The reported goal of the team is to be in the playoffs this season and to be a serious contender starting the following season.

So how does this fit the accusation that the core players don't want to win right now, and that Chayka has no focus on winning in the foreseeable future?

Last edited:

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Well, I don't think we'll win more than 41 games and I don't think we'll make the playoffs, so I wouldn't consider us odds on favorites to be "winners" in any real sense of the word next season. If the majority of our young players take good, solid steps forward next season in the NHL, AHL, CHL, and NCAA, I'll be happy enough. Another step in the right direction would be nice.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Well, I don't think we'll win more than 41 games and I don't think we'll make the playoffs, so I wouldn't consider us odds on favorites to be "winners" in any real sense of the word next season. If the majority of our young players take good, solid steps forward next season in the NHL, AHL, CHL, and NCAA, I'll be happy enough. Another step in the right direction would be nice.

I agree. I think that they will fall short of their goal to make the playoffs next year. If they do, but they integrate a sizable amount of their young talent, I'll be fine with that.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

I agree. I think that they will fall short of their goal to make the playoffs next year. If they do, but they integrate a sizable amount of their young talent, I'll be fine with that.

That is what a rebuild is all about.:nod: I think over the next few years we will see 2-4 rookies/high end vets integrated.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
A quote from Bill Daly on what the NHL thinks about the Coyotes taking on the large contracts.....

“I would say that it’s a matter that we monitor, like all other areas of the CBA (collective bargaining agreement), and if we believe it starts to be abused in a way that is inconsistent with how the system is designed to work, at that point, we would try to correct it in collective bargaining with the union,†Daly said. “I would say we aren’t at that point on this issue — we do not view it as the loophole that‎ some describe it as.â€

Daly said it’s unfair to place Bolland’s contract in the same category as Pronger’s.

“First of all, I would say that perhaps unlike Pronger (and maybe even Datsyuk), I’m not sure you can fairly characterize Bolland’s contract as dead cap space,†he said. “It’s my understanding the player still wants to play and continues to strive to get to a point physically where he can resume his career. So, I start from the perspective of having a problem with the premise.â€

Source...

http://www.todaysslapshot.com/one-timers/craigs-list-nhl-not-concerned-coyotes-use-cap-space/

varano

Jun 27, 2013
A quote from Bill Daly on what the NHL thinks about the Coyotes taking on the large contracts.....

Source...

http://www.todaysslapshot.com/one-timers/craigs-list-nhl-not-concerned-coyotes-use-cap-space/

I Understand that you're just posting it so no attack on you... But to to believe that Bolland is still a contributing hockey player in any way is just lip service.

Much of what Bettman and Daly say is lip service to support the notion that the CBA is 100% foolproof.

That is.... until we see this as a "major issue" in the next CBA discussions.

Truthfully though...Did anyone actually think that the NHL would step in and give their love child a slap on the wrist?

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
I really can't see the issue with what the Coyotes are doing. These are viewed as taking a bad contract and helping another team, which in turn helps us in our rebuild by getting picks and prospects. The only complaint anyone could have is that we have an artificial cap which really doesn't matter because we weren't going to be spending to the cap anyhow.

We still plan to ice a competitive roster and look like we will be injecting another 3 rookies into our lineup. In 2-3 years we will begin to be on the other end of the spectrum, spending money on our guys and having a much higher salary. When that time comes, I hope there is another team that takes over for us in eating cap space and speeding up their rebuild. Bad contracts happen and it's good for the league to have a team that's willing to be a garbage dump for a few years. Helps keep more teams competitive.

And lastly, it's not as if we are getting a kings ransom for these dumps. In the Datsyuk deal we moved up 4 spots in the draft. With Pronger we got a defenseman in Grossman that was older and slowing down. We just needed some grit on the back end. We also gave up a pick and Gagner in thathe deal. Was more of a win for the Flyers than Coyotes. Then there is the Bolland deal where the Coyotes got a prospect that there is a lot of uncertainty over. He has a high boom/bust factor to him.

There are too many people up in arms over this, in 5 years we could be clear losers in these deals and we are still icing rosters that reach the cap floor. If we were 5m under the cap with our on ice product then sure, crucify us, but that's just not the case and hasn't been.

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
I'd expect him not to say anything. He certainly didn't have to and he was away from the area when he called in. From what I gathered, part of the reason for the interview was to put the rumors to rest.

Lmao, Hockey News? No thanks, I was at development camp and saw things with my own eyes. Crouse didn't stand out and several others looked better. Clearly not the tell tale sign on who the top prospect is, but I don't many who'd see he was our top. Matheson makes the jump this season, McCoshen will be up this season, Hawryluk looked great...

Look I understand what you are trying to say here. You are a fan who is trying to back your team's move when clearly this was done to get rid of a bad contract and in order to do that your organization had to pay a price. By your assessment it looks like you gave away nada to say the least, you guys really got over on ARZ giving up a bust of a high number one pick. I just find it curious that all these scouting reports on the demise of Crouse popped up AFTER the deal was done. I still say this kid will play in the NHL and play well. Anyway have a great day and I just wish winter would hurry up and get here.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
Look I understand what you are trying to say here. You are a fan who is trying to back your team's move when clearly this was done to get rid of a bad contract and in order to do that your organization had to pay a price. By your assessment it looks like you gave away nada to say the least, you guys really got over on ARZ giving up a bust of a high number one pick. I just find it curious that all these scouting reports on the demise of Crouse popped up AFTER the deal was done. I still say this kid will play in the NHL and play well. Anyway have a great day and I just wish winter would hurry up and get here.
No one is doubting that he'll be an NHL player. The doubt is that he'll be an effective top six NHL player

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I don't have a problem with two 3rds even if he is just a 15g player who is gritty, fast, and responsible. Well worth the gamble. Unless Bolland comes back next year...

Laus723

Paradise hockey
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL

I'm not trying to rationalize anything though. I wanted Crouse. Was excited while at the draft that we took him. But, he's not our top prospect. Our top prospect is Matheson, who's about to make the jump. And I watched others look better than Crouse, it was frustrating.

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
I'm not trying to rationalize anything though. I wanted Crouse. Was excited while at the draft that we took him. But, he's not our top prospect. Our top prospect is Matheson, who's about to make the jump. And I watched others look better than Crouse, it was frustrating.

I wonder why Crouse had to be added to the deal instead of Matheson who at age 22 should be NHL ready? It takes time for a 6'4" 19 year old to grow into his body and play against men, so let's see where he is in three years. Let's see how frustrated you are by then.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
I wonder why Crouse had to be added to the deal instead of Matheson who at age 22 should be NHL ready? It takes time for a 6'4" 19 year old to grow into his body and play against men, so let's see where he is in three years. Let's see how frustrated you are by then.
Well the Panthers felt Crouse was a piece they could give up in a trade to dump Bolland. If they felt Matheson was a piece they could have gave up in a trade to dump Bolland then maybe Matheson would have been gone.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I Understand that you're just posting it so no attack on you... But to to believe that Bolland is still a contributing hockey player in any way is just lip service.

Much of what Bettman and Daly say is lip service to support the notion that the CBA is 100% foolproof.

That is.... until we see this as a "major issue" in the next CBA discussions.

Truthfully though...Did anyone actually think that the NHL would step in and give their love child a slap on the wrist?

Are you really that jealous of what Chayka has done here? Everything he has done is allowed, and is using our cap space as an asset. In two or three years when our kids come off their ELC's we won't be able to do this. I don't even think the next CBA will even bother to address this issue as they have bigger concerns.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille