Confirmed Trade: [FLA/ARZ] Bolland + Crouse for 2nd + 3rd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laus723

Paradise hockey
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
I wonder why Crouse had to be added to the deal instead of Matheson who at age 22 should be NHL ready? It takes time for a 6'4" 19 year old to grow into his body and play against men, so let's see where he is in three years. Let's see how frustrated you are by then.
Might wanna read up on Matheson a bit. Especially before calling out his age. Add in the Panthers' desire to have kids mature as much as possible before making the jump, unless they're huge standouts (like Ek).

Sorry, but you clearly don't know the Panthers like you think, Crouse wasn't our top guy. Top 5, sure. He was just drafted a year ago, and I agree he'll be an NHL player, but he wasn't 'the best prospect on the Panthers.'
This deal helps with cap space, signing Huberdeau long term, frees up two contracts, and we still have a plethora of strong prospects. Am I happy Crouse is gone? I've said no from the get go, but he's a prospect who was moved in a deal to benefit the team. Best of luck to him. I hope he makes management regret this, but I don't think it's the end of the world either.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Chayka the god once again proves a front office full of hockey nerds is superior than all those dinosaur GM

so Chayka, who is a pretty smart guy, and is outsmarting most of the NHL's braintrust without any experience to base his moves on............is a....well I'd have to say miracle, yes sir that's exactly what it is

it couldn't be that the "new owner" the NHL found for that black hole andtook over the team may have been promised a little boost or something to lay all those dollars down

not saying the NHL is helping that franchise! The years the NHL bled it's owners in support of the Yotes who may never want to repeat that process ever again, do you really think that Chayka is suddenly a modern day Sam Pollock?

jus sayin

Last edited:

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
I don't think that's how it works. It ain't Jake from State Farm in his khakis.

I thought more like JK Simmons from Farmers:laugh:

This guy is Mark McNeill 1.5 and people are acting like Florida gave up prime Iginla

Mark Bell or maybe Jack Skille

Yet he was consistently projected in the top 15 of one of the deepest drafts EVER?

Crouse could EASILY be the next Milan Lucic if he hits his ceiling.

and he could just as easily flop, the jump from the OHL to the NHL is a larger gulf then the jump from MidgetAAA to the OHL

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Well the Panthers felt Crouse was a piece they could give up in a trade to dump Bolland. If they felt Matheson was a piece they could have gave up in a trade to dump Bolland then maybe Matheson would have been gone.

The way it sounded the Coyotes wanted Crouse and were pushing hard. Maybe the Panthers wanted to trade Matheson and not Crouse.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Well the Panthers felt Crouse was a piece they could give up in a trade to dump Bolland. If they felt Matheson was a piece they could have gave up in a trade to dump Bolland then maybe Matheson would have been gone.

Maybe.

And maybe they felt that Matheson was closer to helping them sooner. Matheson looks like a good prospect. Crouse is a nice piece to add to zona.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
Are you really that jealous of what Chayka has done here? Everything he has done is allowed, and is using our cap space as an asset. In two or three years when our kids come off their ELC's we won't be able to do this. I don't even think the next CBA will even bother to address this issue as they have bigger concerns.
Oh wow ...guess what happened in the last CBA? Burying people in the minors to avoid their contract became an issue and was rectified.

You think this garbage isn't going to come up at the next CBA? You're dreaming.

If this wasn't an issue....you wouldn't see bill Daly publically trying to put out a fire

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Crouse may not be the flashiest prospect, but that's a pretty huge price to give up just to dump some salary (which is probably going to be on the LTIR all year anyway).

Really like the deal from the Coyotes perspective. Crouse should be a great fit with a lot of the young skilled players they're accumulating there. To pick up a prospect of that caliber for a 2nd and 3rd pick is solid.

A bit absurd the amount of faux cap spending going on in Arizona these days though. That exploitable facet of the CBA very much needs to be tied up somehow.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
Oh wow ...guess what happened in the last CBA? Burying people in the minors to avoid their contract became an issue and was rectified.

If this wasn't an issue....you wouldn't see bill Daly publically trying to put out a fire

You're missing the fact that this is a feature of the system, not a bug. The high-spending teams (like the Blackhawks, Flyers, Red Wings and Panthers, who have all benefitted from this sort of move) have a failsafe to find additional cap space, the low-spending teams (like the Coyotes and Hurricanes) get a more level playing field, and the players' association gets to see more money spent on players overall. Everybody wins.

How can the owners even be mad at the NHL? What is the NHL, if not a consortium of franchise owners? Daly's response was to the fans whining about this move, not upset owners (of which I don't believe there are any). Why would he issue a public statement to appease them when it could be discussed privately?

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Crouse may not be the flashiest prospect, but that's a pretty huge price to give up just to dump some salary (which is probably going to be on the LTIR all year anyway).

Really like the deal from the Coyotes perspective. Crouse should be a great fit with a lot of the young skilled players they're accumulating there. To pick up a prospect of that caliber for a 2nd and 3rd pick is solid.

A bit absurd the amount of faux cap spending going on in Arizona these days though. That exploitable facet of the CBA very much needs to be tied up somehow.

I'd agree if we were not reaching the cap floor with players on our roster each season, but we have been so really I believe it's a non issue.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH

What fire? I don't see widespread outrage over this anywhere except a few people on social media and hockey fan sites.

The only people who seem to be miffed about what the Coyotes have done are a relatively handfull of fans of teams who can't, or didn't benefit from it. The rest don't really care.

In regards to your previous response to me where you claim Toronto can't buy a Cup because of the cap. What do you think the free agent market is? Teams who end up constantly at the cap ceiling go out every year during the FA period and throw ridiculous money at top players because they think they will get them over the top. Toronto is one of them. Then when they end up as busts, teams like the Coyotes, who have some flexibility, have to go out and clean up their mess. But it comes at a price.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
I haven't read through this whole thread, but I still don't fully understand this trade from florida's POV. If Bolland was going to be on LTIR, what's the rush to give up such a good prospect to dump him? Especially if it's true that insurance pays like 85% of his salary on LTIR.

wint

Jun 10, 2002
Inside
Visit site
I haven't read through this whole thread, but I still don't fully understand this trade from florida's POV. If Bolland was going to be on LTIR, what's the rush to give up such a good prospect to dump him? Especially if it's true that insurance pays like 85% of his salary on LTIR.
The risk is that he's medically cleared to play (quite possible) but is no longer good enough to play (a near certainty). In that case, Florida would be on the hook for the whole contract. Plus there could be the potential distraction of a drawn-out disagreement involving differing medical opinions, etc. For a team that wants to win now, there's a major incentive to put the Bolland situation in the rearview mirror, even if it means overpaying.

Also, Tom Rowe has put his stamp on this team in a major way, with a focus on cap management and long-term deals for the young stars. He/ownership probably just wanted to be rid of the most egregious Tallon mistake that flew in the face of that strategy.

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
As long as this league is a salary cap league then salary cap will be a commodity used to trade or acquire... it's not a loop hole, it's a valued commodity... it isn't going anywhere...

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
You do not know what was discussed.
I can take the evidence at hand and make a logical assessment of the situation. After Matheson, our young defensive prospects in the organization is not high end, and he's playing with the team right now, because we really need him. Crouse was not in a situation like that, losing him is not going to damage what this team is trying to do right now. He was a high end prospect, but he was not going to be relied on to impact the team this season.
These two are not the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad