Fitness and Nutrition, Rep VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
You should keep doing cardio and instead crank up the calories. Its also normal to miss on OHP, dropping 15 pounds is a lot imo, unless youre a 300+ presser.
Yeah, I probably could have survived by dropping 5-10 lbs. Man I'm having a hard time eating what I eat now, I think I'm likely 2500-2700 cals now, but I'll give it a shot.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Yeah, I probably could have survived by dropping 5-10 lbs. Man I'm having a hard time eating what I eat now, I think I'm likely 2500-2700 cals now, but I'll give it a shot.
You're struggling because its too much to eat or because it snot enough ? Because that seems low if youre on SS+ doing cardio.

Well, unless you're 140 pounds, but even then thats probably low.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
You're struggling because its too much to eat or because it snot enough ? Because that seems low if youre on SS+ doing cardio.

Well, unless you're 140 pounds, but even then thats probably low.
Oh it is low. I should be at 3500, but I can't get there, however my progression continues so to this point it does not seem to be an issue, but I suspect it will be in the not too distant future.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Oh it is low. I should be at 3500, but I can't get there, however my progression continues so to this point it does not seem to be an issue, but I suspect it will be in the not too distant future.
I did struggle with eating enough calories in the past few weeks too. Bulking to 225 was easy-ish, though pretty long (took about 2 years from 185ish) but now I've been stuck at 225 for like two or three months, something that did not happen before... I've found that, for me, eating three big meal is much easier than like 5 or 6 smaller ones, I can ingest just much more food that way, and it's much easier time-wise as a student. You may want to give it a try.

I basically went from
Breakfast (Eggs/Toasts/Fruit)
Nuts/Fruits
Lunch (typical portion of carbs+100/150g of meat/typical portion of vegs
rice cake/PB/Banana or Oatmeal preworkout
Dinner (Same as lunch.)
Skyr yogurt+Fruit/Nuts/something else

To
4 eggs/3 toasts/fruits/meat (about 1200 cals.)
Lunch @like 13:00 (I eat breakfast @around 9/10) (200g meat+2 cups of rice+veg portion (about 1000cals))
Preworkout type meal where I eat lighter carbs (Rice cake/Oatmeal+portion of fruit) (400 or so cals)
Repeat of lunch after my workout (1000 cals again)

Makes eating a lot easier, and at times I can fill sluggish but, sure, but again, it feels a lot less like going to work than eating every two hours or so.

Sometimes I'll even fast from my breakfeast to preworkout meal and then hit a major f***ing meal after my workout where I'm absolutely starving and I'll hit up like 2000 cals in a sitting, but thats mostly when I don't have time during the day.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Why would I do that though

I'd consider doing eggs only, in fact, I did it many times, but it doesn't provide anything dietetary wise that a normal omnivorous diet would provide, aside from the emotional/morality side of things.
I figured you did the carnivore diet as an experiment so was lightheartedly suggesting you try the same but vegan next time.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
I did struggle with eating enough calories in the past few weeks too. Bulking to 225 was easy-ish, though pretty long (took about 2 years from 185ish) but now I've been stuck at 225 for like two or three months, something that did not happen before... I've found that, for me, eating three big meal is much easier than like 5 or 6 smaller ones, I can ingest just much more food that way, and it's much easier time-wise as a student. You may want to give it a try.

I basically went from
Breakfast (Eggs/Toasts/Fruit)
Nuts/Fruits
Lunch (typical portion of carbs+100/150g of meat/typical portion of vegs
rice cake/PB/Banana or Oatmeal preworkout
Dinner (Same as lunch.)
Skyr yogurt+Fruit/Nuts/something else

To
4 eggs/3 toasts/fruits/meat (about 1200 cals.)
Lunch @like 13:00 (I eat breakfast @around 9/10) (200g meat+2 cups of rice+veg portion (about 1000cals))
Preworkout type meal where I eat lighter carbs (Rice cake/Oatmeal+portion of fruit) (400 or so cals)
Repeat of lunch after my workout (1000 cals again)

Makes eating a lot easier, and at times I can fill sluggish but, sure, but again, it feels a lot less like going to work than eating every two hours or so.

Sometimes I'll even fast from my breakfeast to preworkout meal and then hit a major ****ing meal after my workout where I'm absolutely starving and I'll hit up like 2000 cals in a sitting, but thats mostly when I don't have time during the day.

Thanks for this. I think larger meals are more suited for me too. I enjoy eating and eating 6 smallish meals takes a lot of prep and I find it hard to adhere to as well. I feel like my whole day is focused around what to eat. I don't like it as it's too time consuming. I know rippetoe is big on augmenting with milk to get those calories, but that's not an option for me. I'll try the 3 larger meals and see how that goes.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I figured you did the carnivore diet as an experiment so was lightheartedly suggesting you try the same but vegan next time.
Mostly just feeling myself to a possible longer carnivore diet, mainly to look into insulin sensitivity and the works, it may be one of the reason why I'm having trouble putting on weight/losing fat, lately.

I have nothing against veganism per say, but I'm working on a tight-ish budget and I need to eat, a lot. Not sure it's the best idea for me, I'm also unsure about the benefits of a vegan diet towards breaking fatloss/weight gain plateaus.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Thanks for this. I think larger meals are more suited for me too. I enjoy eating and eating 6 smallish meals takes a lot of prep and I find it hard to adhere to as well. I feel like my whole day is focused around what to eat. I don't like it as it's too time consuming. I know rippetoe is big on augmenting with milk to get those calories, but that's not an option for me. I'll try the 3 larger meals and see how that goes.
I find going for a larger type of prep like a Chili/ Rice or Sheppard Pie makes it so much easier. I just take an hour to cook a huge meal and I have food for two or three days.

Ground meat was on sale this week so I grabbed 8 KG's of it :), Two for my GF, 6 for me.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Mostly just feeling myself to a possible longer carnivore diet, mainly to look into insulin sensitivity and the works, it may be one of the reason why I'm having trouble putting on weight/losing fat, lately.

I have nothing against veganism per say, but I'm working on a tight-ish budget and I need to eat, a lot. Not sure it's the best idea for me, I'm also unsure about the benefits of a vegan diet towards breaking fatloss/weight gain plateaus.
You’re having issues with both fat loss and weight gain? Not sure I follow.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I do. Im stagnating hard. I was gainig weight until I hit 225 and ive lost some fat along the way but now Ive been stuck at 225 and similar bodyfat.
Hmm what’s your body fat at? Maybe you’ve just maxed out your frame? 225 is maxed out for a 5’11” natural at 20% body fat (roughly).

Edited as numbers were off, numbers from a FFMI calculator.

Last edited:

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Hmm what’s your body fat at? Maybe you’ve just maxed out your frame? 225 is maxed out for a 5’11” natural at 20% body fat (roughly).

Edited as numbers were off, numbers from a FFMI calculator.
High teens most likely. I see abs in the upper section but have small love handles. I think I did max out, my body probably wants to stick around 200ish.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
High teens most likely. I see abs in the upper section but have small love handles. I think I did max out, my body probably wants to stick around 200ish.
So ya I think you can either pile on the body fat to increase strength, lean out to increase aesthetics... or enjoy 225 of bear mode lol

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I think that in the high teens I can hit 230 with good effort. Well see. I may consider some other path if I don't get bigger until this summer.
Oh ya keep doing what you’re doing fo sho, just don’t get frustrated by the stagnation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad