Fitness and Nutrition, Rep VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Not even sure what the point was of posting that study... almost as bad as when DA posted that study literally funded by the dairy industry- but that post featured a different pretext... ;)

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Any of you have any experience with Oly weightlifting ? I think I'm ready to branch out a bit from powerbuilding/Powerlifting, but not entirely. I can't coordinate a snatch for the life of me, I understand the basics, but I 100% need coaching.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Any of you have any experience with Oly weightlifting ? I think I'm ready to branch out a bit from powerbuilding/Powerlifting, but not entirely. I can't coordinate a snatch for the life of me, I understand the basics, but I 100% need coaching.
You can self teach some of the basics in the snatch and clean&jerk but if you really want to improve, you definitely need a coach.
There are just way too many technicalities to these lifts.
They're awesome though. I gotta give credit to Crossfit, if it weren't for that, I likely never get into Oly weightlifting. I got certified in that and switched to coaching this more often. I still coach it from time to time whenever I can take on a client.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Still doing a version of starting strength, but I've plateaued a bit and can't keep up the diet. Too much food, I have kept to the same rep/set scheme but I have added in some isolation work and beginning to lower the calories. Started throwing in some HIIT on off days. Hoping to get shredded by May.

I just started eating at a calorie deficit around 10 days ago and I'm down roughly 5.5-6lbs already. Mostly water weight, but I am eating an insane amount of veggies, 1 oatmeal, 1 meat and rice meal, protein shake, 2 scoops, and a handful of nuts plus whatever else i I need to get my protein requirements if I end up off. Calories come in around 1900/day and I can't keep weight on. I heard people talking about 1200 calories per day and it makes me cringe. I could never do that and think it would be far less effective. I guess 1200 calories coming from an inactive person from mostly protein sources may make sense, but not for me.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
You can self teach some of the basics in the snatch and clean&jerk but if you really want to improve, you definitely need a coach.
There are just way too many technicalities to these lifts.
They're awesome though. I gotta give credit to Crossfit, if it weren't for that, I likely never get into Oly weightlifting. I got certified in that and switched to coaching this more often. I still coach it from time to time whenever I can take on a client.
I self taught the clean and, while Im no expert, I can still CJ in the high 200s, which is respectable considering I rarely do it, but I can't for the life of me get under the bar on a snatch. I understand the pull, but going overhead is so unnatural I basivslly end up muscling it up.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Still doing a version of starting strength, but I've plateaued a bit and can't keep up the diet. Too much food, I have kept to the same rep/set scheme but I have added in some isolation work and beginning to lower the calories. Started throwing in some HIIT on off days. Hoping to get shredded by May.

I just started eating at a calorie deficit around 10 days ago and I'm down roughly 5.5-6lbs already. Mostly water weight, but I am eating an insane amount of veggies, 1 oatmeal, 1 meat and rice meal, protein shake, 2 scoops, and a handful of nuts plus whatever else i I need to get my protein requirements if I end up off. Calories come in around 1900/day and I can't keep weight on. I heard people talking about 1200 calories per day and it makes me cringe. I could never do that and think it would be far less effective. I guess 1200 calories coming from an inactive person from mostly protein sources may make sense, but not for me.
1900 cals seems low yo me.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I self taught the clean and, while Im no expert, I can still CJ in the high 200s, which is respectable considering I rarely do it, but I can't for the life of me get under the bar on a snatch. I understand the pull, but going overhead is so unnatural I basivslly end up muscling it up.
Self teaching those movements have high limitations, even the clean. Lifting in high 200s just means you have a very strong base, not that you do it well.
This is a cool video showing 4 strong guys in each of their sports, and they make them do tests in their respective fields to see which is best overall.
Here you have Oly lifter, Crossfitter, Powerlifter, and Bodybuilder, do a max Clean competition.

The Powerlifter and Bodybuilder are very strong, so they still manage high 200s, but their technique is very very beginner, to put it nicely.
If the bodybuilder had just an adequate technique, his number would be so high. The Olympian even says the same.

If you want to get comfortable in the catch, do a lot of overhead squat, snatch drops and snatch balances. I mean do that with an empty bar. Sotts press are great to improve mobility in the hole as well.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Yeah i like those videos, Steve is a complete beast and a guy i follow closely on the PL front. They also have the women version going on with a few babes and DLB as their bodybuilder, Brooke Ence, Maddy Fobberg and Mattie Rogers. With that said, I do have a small base of coaching as I practiced some oly weightlifting when I was a tee and all, which is why my CJ isnt too far off (though obviously not perfect at all) but since the Snatch is much more of a skill than a raw strength exercise, I dont seem to remember how to do it at all. Ive started up with a high pull snatch to get it in layers, Ill work overhead after. Trying to get a hold of a coach in MTL isnt easy at all, theyre all mostly full OR they dont take beginners because they suck as people.

Its funny that my clean is mostly fine but I cant for the life of me catch the snatch, theyre both pretty much the same movement but with different arm position.

Anyway, I wanted to start Supertotal but Ill hold off for another mesocycle of my current program so I have some time to find a coach to get the basis down on the Snatch and improve my jerk technique.

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
Yes, it's anecdotal, it still is interesting, just like it would be pretty freaking interesting to find out drinking your own piss can cure all diseases, don't you think?
Maybe not yours, but maybe camel urine lol

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013

Trained a few years in an Oly club. Liked it quite a bit and if I had one close I'd consider joining one once more.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Yeah i like those videos, Steve is a complete beast and a guy i follow closely on the PL front. They also have the women version going on with a few babes and DLB as their bodybuilder, Brooke Ence, Maddy Fobberg and Mattie Rogers. With that said, I do have a small base of coaching as I practiced some oly weightlifting when I was a tee and all, which is why my CJ isnt too far off (though obviously not perfect at all) but since the Snatch is much more of a skill than a raw strength exercise, I dont seem to remember how to do it at all. Ive started up with a high pull snatch to get it in layers, Ill work overhead after. Trying to get a hold of a coach in MTL isnt easy at all, theyre all mostly full OR they dont take beginners because they suck as people.

Its funny that my clean is mostly fine but I cant for the life of me catch the snatch, theyre both pretty much the same movement but with different arm position.

Anyway, I wanted to start Supertotal but Ill hold off for another mesocycle of my current program so I have some time to find a coach to get the basis down on the Snatch and improve my jerk technique.
Ya that bar placement changes everything.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Still think eggs are good for you? This brand new analysis looked at data from six large prospective studies involving almost 30,000 participants, with an average follow-up of more than 17 years. It found that for each additional 300 milligrams a day of cholesterol in the diet, there was a 17 percent increased risk of cardiovascular disease and an 18 percent increased risk of premature death from any cause.
Eggs alone — a large egg has about 185 milligrams of cholesterol, all of it contained in the yolk — had the same more-is-worse effect. Each additional half-egg a day was associated with a 6 percent increased risk of cardiovascular disease and an 8 percent increased risk of early death.

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/article-abstract/2728487

But I’m sure Joe Rogans accupucturist blogger friend will tell you otherwise ;)

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Still think eggs are good for you? This brand new analysis looked at data from six large prospective studies involving almost 30,000 participants, with an average follow-up of more than 17 years. It found that for each additional 300 milligrams a day of cholesterol in the diet, there was a 17 percent increased risk of cardiovascular disease and an 18 percent increased risk of premature death from any cause.
Eggs alone — a large egg has about 185 milligrams of cholesterol, all of it contained in the yolk — had the same more-is-worse effect. Each additional half-egg a day was associated with a 6 percent increased risk of cardiovascular disease and an 8 percent increased risk of early death.

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/article-abstract/2728487

But I’m sure Joe Rogans accupucturist blogger friend will tell you otherwise ;)
Nice. How do you know these 30000 peoples werent eating like the majority of the population? A longitudinal study on such a small, specific substance holds little weight because it doesnt actually eliminate the real perceived culprit, which is high sugar and high fat diets.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Nice. How do you know these 30000 peoples werent eating like the majority of the population? A longitudinal study on such a small, specific substance holds little weight because it doesnt actually eliminate the real perceived culprit, which is high sugar and high fat diets.
It wasn’t an elimination study, it was an observational study that observed the relation of egg consumption and cholesterol consumption to CVD and all cause mortality in 30000 people over 17+ years.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad