Fitness and Nutrition, Rep VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Not one to boast but today I went to my grandma and she had a tailors tape laying around and I measure myself

Wrist: 7.85 inches(Idk why I measure my wrists and IDK what this means :laugh:.)
Bi's flexed 19.4!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Though I had a sweater on, I'm willing to knock the .4 out.)
Quads 27.8 (Jeans on, knock off the .8)
Calves 19.2 (Jeans, so I'd knock whatever off.)

God this bulk has done wonders :laugh:

K im out

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Not one to boast but today I went to my grandma and she had a tailors tape laying around and I measure myself

Wrist: 7.85 inches(Idk why I measure my wrists and IDK what this means :laugh:.)
Bi's flexed 19.4!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Though I had a sweater on, I'm willing to knock the .4 out.)
Quads 27.8 (Jeans on, knock off the .8)
Calves 19.2 (Jeans, so I'd knock whatever off.)

God this bulk has done wonders :laugh:

K im out

I'm jealous of your wrists, motherf***er.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I'm jealous of your wrists, mother****er.
I read online that it's above average but not big, I always figured I had really small wrists as they look super tiny... I should've measure my hands/forearms because that's a weird one. I do have a hard time fitting in most shirt though.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Wondering if I should see a doctor. I have some soreness in the lower left abdominal area that only aches when I'm involving my lower abs muscles. Never really experienced that sort of pain before, but it's rather faint and I suspect it could be nothing more than a muscle strain that could go away on its own with some rest. My other suspicion would be a hernia, but I never had one and I don't know how it's supposed to feel. It has been about a week now an I did my work outs as per usual, only cut the abs portion out of it. I pushed fairly hard on my deadlift earlier this week and it wasn't really an issue for that kind of movement. Things like leg raises, though, tend to hurt.

Anyone experienced this?

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
I read online that it's above average but not big, I always figured I had really small wrists as they look super tiny... I should've measure my hands/forearms because that's a weird one. I do have a hard time fitting in most shirt though.

7.85 inch wrists aren't average. My wrists are the similar(~8) and I have yet to meet anyone with wrists as big as me. Of course, I don't care wrist size or anything but just saying how could you figure something like that(even if less pre bulking) would be small?

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
7.85 inch wrists aren't average. My wrists are the similar(~8) and I have yet to meet anyone with wrists as big as me. Of course, I don't care wrist size or anything but just saying how could you figure something like that(even if less pre bulking) would be small?
I dont know, I guess I always compared with my brother and father who both seem to have gigantic wrists compared to me. I think I also have unusually wide hands and big forearms which could make my wrist look smaller. If I were to take a picture youd understand what Im saying, they dont look big at all. But now that ive started looking at wrists I see Im a bit above average, yeah.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
After my surgery I lost basically all my strength, so when I started working out again 7 weeks ago I started basically everything with just the empty bar and moved from there. I am moving slowly but I am happy with the progress so far and am slowly starting to feel way better and stronger, especially with everyday tasks. This is 3 days a week, for the last 7 weeks.

Squat: 45 lbs -> 145 lbs
Bench: 45 lbs -> 95 lbs
Row: 45 lbs -> 115 lbs
Seated Overhead Press: 45 lbs -> 80 lbs
DL: 45 lbs -> 185 lbs

Before I got sick I had higher numbers than this (except maybe press, I was never good at that), and still some things are not very challenging (bench, DL is still pretty easy at these weights) but I am still committed to going slow. I killed my back with the snow recently and I've basically been popping Robax nonstop, so we'll see about this week. My kid is also going to be born any day now so I might end up taking a week off to recover and also become a dad.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
After my surgery I lost basically all my strength, so when I started working out again 7 weeks ago I started basically everything with just the empty bar and moved from there. I am moving slowly but I am happy with the progress so far and am slowly starting to feel way better and stronger, especially with everyday tasks. This is 3 days a week, for the last 7 weeks.

Squat: 45 lbs -> 145 lbs
Bench: 45 lbs -> 95 lbs
Row: 45 lbs -> 115 lbs
Seated Overhead Press: 45 lbs -> 80 lbs
DL: 45 lbs -> 185 lbs

Before I got sick I had higher numbers than this (except maybe press, I was never good at that), and still some things are not very challenging (bench, DL is still pretty easy at these weights) but I am still committed to going slow. I killed my back with the snow recently and I've basically been popping Robax nonstop, so we'll see about this week. My kid is also going to be born any day now so I might end up taking a week off to recover and also become a dad.

Your bench seems abnormally weak considering your numbers on rows and overheads, but progress is progress.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Your bench seems abnormally weak considering your numbers on rows and overheads, but progress is progress.

I know I can go higher because bench is probably the least challenging lift for me at this weight, but I am trying to be conservative. I actually stalled on overhead press because of pain in my right shoulder, and I was having pain even just getting my arm into position to hold the bar on squats. It hurt quite a bit on bench too, oddly in my wrist as well, though it didn't affect my strength. Still, with the kid on the way the last thing I want is to hurt myself even more.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
I'd say making about half the progress on bench as squat is about right, but bench has always been my worst.

I like to do bench twice a week ideally [when I have the time]. Once on a regular chest day, the other on some other day where it feels rested enough and I just do three sets of light weight, high volume, paused reps. Really helps me out, personally.

Also, varying between regular bench and dumbbell press helped me breaking out of a few plateaus.

Everyone is built differently, but if you're doing almost as much on your overhead press as you're doing on your bench, chances are you have some pretty serious muscle imbalances going on.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Also worth mentioning I had surgery in my chest.

Yeah, the end goal is to be healthy, so I wouldn't push too hard given the circumstances you're describing. A slow and steady approach is always preferable, especially if you've been out of the gym for a while.

I've hurt myself a few times in the gym trying to do too much or "end my set" even though something felt off. I always end up regretting it because it just forces me out of the gym to recover sometimes weeks at a time.

If overhead presses hurt your shoulders, I'd consider switching for dumbbell presses. Gives you more mobility and you can push at a certain angle that a regular barbell doesn't allow. I haven't done regular barbell overheads in a while due to shoulder issues as well.

Reactions: overlords

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
If overhead presses hurt your shoulders, I'd consider switching for dumbbell presses. Gives you more mobility and you can push at a certain angle that a regular barbell doesn't allow. I haven't done regular barbell overheads in a while due to shoulder issues as well.

I made some adjustments to my grip width that helped a lot, but yeah I definitely am finding it is more difficult with the barbell compared to when I used to do it with dumbbells. You are right that I have muscle imbalances though, through most of my 20s I was basically just working out my shoulders and arms and nothing else. And I have a lot of flexibility/mobility issues that have led to some muscles just not being used enough.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Shoulder pain could come from the way you squat, too. If you don't hold your shoulders tight and your elbows tend to wiggle a bit you can get pretty bad pain... obviously maybe not at the weight you are moving, but who knows. Shifting to a wider grip could potentially help.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Shoulder pain could come from the way you squat, too. If you don't hold your shoulders tight and your elbows tend to wiggle a bit you can get pretty bad pain... obviously maybe not at the weight you are moving, but who knows. Shifting to a wider grip could potentially help.

I am thinking it was from overhead press, as squat is also not very challenging for me at this weight. But OHP I struggled a lot and tried too much when I was obviously injured.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
I am thinking it was from overhead press, as squat is also not very challenging for me at this weight. But OHP I struggled a lot and tried too much when I was obviously injured.

Are you pressing at a 90 degrees angle? That's another thing I changed that helped a ton. I like to do it at a 110 degrees angle or so. Involves a bit more upper chest, but removes a ton of stress on the joint.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Not going full wingspan on presses is something that relieves a lot of stress on the shoulders, but its does shift the focus towards the pec/triceps a bit.

On another note, there's a dude that's been hitting on my girl any time she goes alone at the gym. He won't stop giving her unsolicited advice.... Plz don't be that guy.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
I don't know about you guys but the ice in front of my house is just crazy. The streets look like a skating rink, it's so bad I am considering sending a video to the news because the borough has declared "all snow removed" in my area but this is legit dangerous. We have old people here that cannot leave the house.

The walkway to the road from my house has about a 3 inch thick block of ice covering it. Yesterday I went with a pick and broke through to the stone for a 2x2 foot patch, took me about 20 minutes. Today I can barely move, it feels like my back is broken. So I think I'm just going to take a week or so off given I am in major pain and my daughter will be born (latest) by the weekend.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
As much as I've been enjoying the Alpha Destiny program and bear mode, I think I'm going to switch it up. Even though I look good and have been getting quite strong, I feel heavy, and this is especially obvious when I'm playing sports, as I've become slow. Think I'm going to start cutting and want to do some explosive plyometric work which I've never really done. Any recommended exercises or programs out there? Think I want to keep the full body, 3 times a week thing going, but want to do something like:

Heavy Squats/Deadlifts
Plyometric leg work ?????
Higher rep (10-15) and volume (2 exercises per muscle group) upper body with less rest (60 seconds)

Also might help me lean out a bit for summer

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Personally Ill just start including 15/20 minutes of sprinting at the end of my leg training on Fridays, like I do every year. Keeps the body honest. Theres a baseball field right next to my gym, I love to sprint there. Gives me a good bit of vitamin D, works my tan and I get shredded and faster.

I usually time my 40 yd dash because I like the fun of it, hopefully I can still break 5 seconds, but im not 100% sure with the weight Im carrying. My best ever was 4.58 at 210 but that was almost six years ago.

Oh shit Im humble bragging again.

Reactions: DramaticGloveSave

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
A new nutrition study came out. It's a hilarious piece of pseudoscience.

A Plant-Based Meal Increases Gastrointestinal Hormones and Satiety More Than an Energy- and Macronutrient-Matched Processed-Meat Meal in T2D, Obese, and Healthy Men: A Three-Group Randomized Crossover Study

They wanted to compare the response of the body to a plant-based (vegan) meal to that of a meaty meal, where the two meals have the same number of calories and the same amount of fats, proteins, and carbs.

Vegan meal:
Tofu burger with spices, ketchup, mustard, tomato, lettuce, cucumber, wheat bun, together with some unsweetened green tea.

Meaty meal
Cooked pork seasoned meat in wheat bun, cheddar-type cheese (wtf does that mean?), lettuce, spicy sauce, together with a 300 ml cafe lattee sweetened with a colossal 21 grams of sugar.

They they have a lot of expensive blood tests and they use a lot of statistics.

They conclude with:

"Our results indicate there is an increase in gut hormones and satiety, following consumption of a single plant-based meal with tofu when compared with an energy- and macronutrient-matched processed-meat meat and cheese meal, in healthy, obese and diabetic men."

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I've been exercising again, building things up slowly, after a long layover due to surgery and travel. I hate bring this weak and unathletic.

Cardio exercises on the elliptical that used to get my heart rate up to no more than 140 now get it to 160. It will take time to build up my lung capacity.

*But* my physiotherapist told me to aim for a heart rate no higher than 0.8*(220-age), which for me is roughly 148. I'd rather aim for higher. But maybe I shouldn't. Tough call.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

A Plant-Based Meal Increases Gastrointestinal Hormones and Satiety More Than an Energy- and Macronutrient-Matched Processed-Meat Meal in T2D, Obese, and Healthy Men: A Three-Group Randomized Crossover Study

They wanted to compare the response of the body to a plant-based (vegan) meal to that of a meaty meal, where the two meals have the same number of calories and the same amount of fats, proteins, and carbs.

Vegan meal:
Tofu burger with spices, ketchup, mustard, tomato, lettuce, cucumber, wheat bun, together with some unsweetened green tea.

Meaty meal
Cooked pork seasoned meat in wheat bun, cheddar-type cheese (wtf does that mean?), lettuce, spicy sauce, together with a 300 ml cafe lattee sweetened with a colossal 21 grams of sugar.

They conclude with:

"Our results indicate there is an increase in gut hormones and satiety, following consumption of a single plant-based meal with tofu when compared with an energy- and macronutrient-matched processed-meat meat and cheese meal, in healthy, obese and diabetic men."
loll..How surprising.
Next test..grilled tofu with cashew cauliflower rice is healthier than shake shack burger + milkshake combo.

Reactions: DAChampion

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010

Vegan meal:

Meaty meal

They conclude with:

That sugar!

I still plan to go back to vegan one day, but I would still eat wild meat and clam type mollusques. It would really be out of love for them little creatures.

Reactions: DAChampion
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad