Fitness and Nutrition, Rep VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

philipsson

Jan 12, 2014
Went from lots of energy drinks to coffee with sugar to black coffee. At least that's a step in the right direction.

My question might be a bit weird but I was wondering if there was some alcohol that was "less destructive". I would imagine that alcohol on ice would be less damagable than rhum AND COKE, for example. I have a hard time cutting on beer/alcohol, so looking to make it "less worse".

Other than that, everything's going well as far as my training goes. Will try to fix my wrist then go for more weights.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Went from lots of energy drinks to coffee with sugar to black coffee. At least that's a step in the right direction.

My question might be a bit weird but I was wondering if there was some alcohol that was "less destructive". I would imagine that alcohol on ice would be less damagable than rhum AND COKE, for example. I have a hard time cutting on beer/alcohol, so looking to make it "less worse".

Other than that, everything's going well as far as my training goes. Will try to fix my wrist then go for more weights.
Just cut the booze already, you don't need it in your life, and thats coming from someone that was bordering on alcoholism and that had his family do an intervention on him, like in movies. Now anytime I drink I can actually enjoy the taste.

Now if I could do the same with sweets.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011

The alcohol that is less destructive is "less alcohol".

How much are you having?

You can also try rum+club soda+lime juice instead of rum+coke.Try it once, and let us know how you like. I actually sometimes take that, but with whiskey. I like the bubbles.

philipsson

Jan 12, 2014
i
Just cut the booze already, you don't need it in your life, and thats coming from someone that was bordering on alcoholism and that had his family do an intervention on him, like in movies. Now anytime I drink I can actually enjoy the taste.

Nobody needs it, but I have a hard time stopping so i'm trying to cut if off "slowly". Obviously, the best would be to stop today and never drink again but it's not realistic (for me, at least).

Reactions: DAChampion

philipsson

Jan 12, 2014
The alcohol that is less destructive is "less alcohol".

How much are you having?

You can also try rum+club soda+lime juice instead of rum+coke.Try it once, and let us know how you like. I actually sometimes take that, but with whiskey. I like the bubbles.

I drink mostly beer, which is probably the worst. I would say ~20-25 (consommations) per week (from friday to sunday mostly). That varies obviously from week to week but it's a approximate.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I drink mostly beer, which is probably the worst. I would say ~20-25 (consommations) per week (from friday to sunday mostly). That varies obviously from week to week but it's a approximate.

You might be able to quit beer by buying only Molson products.

More seriously, the opposite might help. 20-25 beers a week is a lot, so reducing that would definitely help your health. Perhaps you can reduce it by restricting yourself to higher-quality beers, then you might be satisfied with a smaller portion.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Wow, 20-25, thats from friday to sunday alone ? Thats a lot like what I used to do. At one point you'll have to realize this may be a problem, before it affects your everyday life or people around you. Don't let the people around you realize it before you because that's probably the worse feeling you can have.

I also think higher quality beer are your best bet if you 100% don't want to stop. I used to get piss drunk on a 12 pack of heineken/carlsberg/50 almost on the daily and then I started buying more expansive brands. You realize that a) it costs a lot, b) you cant drink as much and c) the former tastes like f***ing piss.

Wish I had pictures of me back then, I was so pudgy. Worst time of my life TBH, and that was at 21ish.

Reactions: philipsson

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar

Wine has benefits

Reactions: philipsson

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Wine has benefits

One could also say that Pizza has benefits... Doesn't make it true.

There may be a good dose of micronutrients in wine, but there's no ignoring that it's a high sugar beverage.

In short, wine does nothing that a glass of water and fruit doesn't do, except be low in fibers and a few other reaches.

Reactions: DAChampion

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar

There may be a good dose of micronutrients in wine, but there's no ignoring that it's a high sugar beverage.

In short, wine does nothing that a glass of water and fruit doesn't do, except be low in fibers and a few other reaches.

Actually it is natural sugars,and they sweeten wine with dried raisins if they want.
  • It contains antioxidants. ...
  • It boosts the immune system. ...
  • It increases bone density. ...
  • It reduces the risk of stroke. ...
  • It reduces the risk of heart disease. ...
  • It can lower cholesterol. ...
  • It reduces the risk of Type 2 Diabetes.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Actually it is natural sugars,and they sweeten wine with dried raisins if they want.
  • It contains antioxidants. ...
  • It boosts the immune system. ...
  • It increases bone density. ...
  • It reduces the risk of stroke. ...
  • It reduces the risk of heart disease. ...
  • It can lower cholesterol. ...
  • It reduces the risk of Type 2 Diabetes.

1) Sugar is a dual molecule or glucose and fructose. It doesn't matter if it comes from raisins, beetroot, etc. It's the same thing. Glucose is a molecule that your body usually converts to energy. Fructose is a molecule that your body usually converts to fat, via the liver.

2) Wine hasn't been shown to have those effects in a causal manner. IT's been shown that people who drink red wine are less likely to have heart disease, etc. But there are other reasons why that might be. Among them, red wine is the drink of choice of upper-middle class white people. Those people live generally healthier lives, and so all of their habits will be associated with lower rates of diabetes, etc.

Analogous statistics would show that shopping for winter clothing at The North Face store, driving a Subaru, watching TEDx talks, playing frisbee, etc. "lowers" cholesterol, rates of osteoporosis, etc. But in truth the association is just that, an association. They have not demonstrated a causal relation.

Reactions: Andrei79

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
We've discussed egg consumption on this board, but I'm still unclear how many eggs per week is healthy. I know the old idea of Eggs = Bad Cholesterol is obsolete, but most reputable site still suggest limiting consumption to an average of one-per-day. Yet I've heard reports that even doubling that doesn't spike cholesterol.

This pops into my head after finishing a 2-egg breakfast today after a 3-egg omelette yesterday.

I eat 20-30 every week and my cholesterol is not an issue.

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
1) Sugar is a dual molecule or glucose and fructose. It doesn't matter if it comes from raisins, beetroot, etc. It's the same thing. Glucose is a molecule that your body usually converts to energy. Fructose is a molecule that your body usually converts to fat, via the liver.

2) Wine hasn't been shown to have those effects in a causal manner. IT's been shown that people who drink red wine are less likely to have heart disease, etc. But there are other reasons why that might be. Among them, red wine is the drink of choice of upper-middle class white people. Those people live generally healthier lives, and so all of their habits will be associated with lower rates of diabetes, etc.

Analogous statistics would show that shopping for winter clothing at The North Face store, driving a Subaru, watching TEDx talks, playing frisbee, etc. "lowers" cholesterol, rates of osteoporosis, etc. But in truth the association is just that, an association. They have not demonstrated a causal relation.

Killjoy.

philipsson

Jan 12, 2014
You might be able to quit beer by buying only Molson products.

More seriously, the opposite might help. 20-25 beers a week is a lot, so reducing that would definitely help your health. Perhaps you can reduce it by restricting yourself to higher-quality beers, then you might be satisfied with a smaller portion.

Not a bad idea, thanks... and yeah, i know 20-25 is a lot, especially since it's on the weekend mostly.

philipsson

Jan 12, 2014
Wow, 20-25, thats from friday to sunday alone ? Thats a lot like what I used to do. At one point you'll have to realize this may be a problem, before it affects your everyday life or people around you. Don't let the people around you realize it before you because that's probably the worse feeling you can have.

I also think higher quality beer are your best bet if you 100% don't want to stop. I used to get piss drunk on a 12 pack of heineken/carlsberg/50 almost on the daily and then I started buying more expansive brands. You realize that a) it costs a lot, b) you cant drink as much and c) the former tastes like ****ing piss.

Wish I had pictures of me back then, I was so pudgy. Worst time of my life TBH, and that was at 21ish.

Well I understand you a lot. I don't really think it affect my everyday life, but obviously it's not healthy and maybe i'm not so far from being a huge problem.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013

Pîzza has benefits... the night before a huge training where you pull a PR attempt :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->