Fitness and Nutrition, Rep VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Meh in general terms yes, but I don't believe it is as clear cut as you make it sound, some individuals have some metabolic predispositions different from others. It can also be a question of how much food intake your brain is telling you to consume, which it isn't simple to go against your biological impulses. There are reasons why most contestants from the Biggest Losers end up regaining their weight even if they were well-intentioned and many kept a strict exercising regime.
Actually, yes it is that simple. Sure, some people have very unique metabolism..all this means is they have to eat even more, which goes back to what I'm saying.
I'm going to go out on a limb here and make two assumptions:
1) You do not know your TDEE.
2) You do not know your daily caloric intake.
Am I right or am I right?
"It has to do with resting metabolism, which determines how many calories a person burns when at rest. When the show began, the contestants, though hugely overweight, had normal metabolisms for their size, meaning they were burning a normal number of calories for people of their weight. When it ended, their metabolisms had slowed radically and their bodies were not burning enough calories to maintain their thinner sizes."
Hmmm...a few things here.
1) Rapid weight loss slows down your metabolism isn't new.
2) Humans are creatures of habit, a few months of eating fruits instead of chips and exercising isn't going to crush almost a lifetime of terribly unhealthy conduct.
3) The grueling regimen they're on during the shows is completely unsustainable.
4) While the findings are interesting, the study is completely uncontrolled, which means they can be eating Mcdonalds 3x/day and not exercising.
Matter of fact, the first thing the winner of season one did was get himself a burger and fries...eventually getting back to his bad ways again.

I don't need a PHD to know that people that go on these types of diets like.."smoothie diet''..''cookie diet''..''soup diet''...etc...are all going to put their weight back up.

Finally, this does not go against anything I said. It's all about knowing how much calories you need. If you have a fast metabolism, which is what you are hinting towards, well fine, that means you need to be even more aware of your quantities.
Which shows that weight gain/loss isn't as simple as a pure equation of calories intake/burned. Inversely to them, I am sure it is more difficult for me than average to put on weight, particularly fat. I know I am thin, so I already always been trying to eat a bit more than what I feel like I need, but my weight never goes up, even in the stretches where I am not exercising and I should normally mathematically been over-consuming calories. I am not saying gaining weight is impossible for me, but like I said previously I would need to put a lot of effort on planning and forcing myself to eat constantly.

Again. Yes It is. You just need to eat even more (or less) depeding on your body type and goals.
Do you even know ''how much you need''? Because you don't go on a ''feel'' system when trying to add weight, especially not if you have a very fast metabolism. Packing on weight will always feel like you're forcing yourself to eat.
If all you do is eat when you're hungry, or whatever your parents got you used to (breakfast-lunch-dinner), then you won't put jack crap on.
Look at bodybuilders, the sport where putting on/off weight and jacking up your muscles is pretty much the objective. They are constantly tracking their foods to meet their goals. You'll have to do the same, but at the end of the day, it's simply about knowing how much you need, and eating those ratios.

tooji

Nov 24, 2015
10k 62 mins this morning, I don't know if I can shave off 12 seconds per km, but that's what I need to do within 16 days.
If your already that close in training I’d say you will have no problem breaking 60 during the race. When it comes to race day your adrenaline will be up and you will by hyped up. If it’s your first race I got no doubt you will set a new PR for sure. Also it is a little bit close to the race for changes in teaining regimen, but try tempo work. Do 1 fast KM and one slow KM (do a shorter run if you are doing tempo). Do this and keep alternating. It will give you more overall speed on race day

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
Actually, yes it is that simple. Sure, some people have very unique metabolism..all this means is they have to eat even more, which goes back to what I'm saying.
I'm going to go out on a limb here and make two assumptions:
1) You do not know your TDEE.
2) You do not know your daily caloric intake.
Am I right or am I right?

Obviously, you are right, I told you multiple times I am not into obsessing over my weight/food intake.

Hmmm...a few things here.
1) Rapid weight loss slows down your metabolism isn't new.
2) Humans are creatures of habit, a few months of eating fruits instead of chips and exercising isn't going to crush almost a lifetime of terribly unhealthy conduct.
3) The grueling regimen they're on during the shows is completely unsustainable.
4) While the findings are interesting, the study is completely uncontrolled, which means they can be eating Mcdonalds 3x/day and not exercising.
Matter of fact, the first thing the winner of season one did was get himself a burger and fries...eventually getting back to his bad ways again.

I don't need a PHD to know that people that go on these types of diets like.."smoothie diet''..''cookie diet''..''soup diet''...etc...are all going to put their weight back up.

Come on, you didn't give it a fair case, yeah probably some did went back to their unhealthy lifestyle after the show and return to their original weight for that reason, but some clearly did do their best to keep their healthy weight, it is better documented than you think, make your research. Some continue to obsessively train because they didn't want to be seen as a failure again after regaining the weight, no matter what they did the reality is that almost all of them were slowly regaining the weight back. Yes, that was sort of an extreme example, but I wanted something that made metabolic differences evident.

Again. Yes It is. You just need to eat even more (or less) depeding on your body type and goals.
Do you even know ''how much you need''? Because you don't go on a ''feel'' system when trying to add weight, especially not if you have a very fast metabolism. Packing on weight will always feel like you're forcing yourself to eat.
If all you do is eat when you're hungry, or whatever your parents got you used to (breakfast-lunch-dinner), then you won't put jack crap on.
Look at bodybuilders, the sport where putting on/off weight and jacking up your muscles is pretty much the objective. They are constantly tracking their foods to meet their goals. You'll have to do the same, but at the end of the day, it's simply about knowing how much you need, and eating those ratios.

When you say "You just need to eat even more (or less) depending on your body type and goals." you basically just agreed with the nuances I was making about differences in biological metabolism unless I am missing something.
Then for the rest, like I told you again I am not into that, particularly not the bodybuilding lifestyle, and furthermore particularly not eating even more than them to compensate for my genetic predispositions, so yes I will continue with the ''feel'' system instead like I am telling you, feeling great.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Obviously, you are right, I told you multiple times I am not into obsessing over my weight/food intake.
Well that was my initial point. 99% of the time, people think they eat enough but in reality, they're not even close. So how can you claim to have some really fast metabolism when you don't even know how many calories you're burning and eating on a daily basis?
Could it be that, as I said, you simply aren't eating enough?...
Come on, you didn't give it a fair case, yeah probably some did went back to their unhealthy lifestyle after the show and return to their original weight for that reason, but some clearly did do their best to keep their healthy weight, it is better documented than you think, make your research. Some continue to obsessively train because they didn't want to be seen as a failure again after regaining the weight, no matter what they did the reality is that almost all of them were slowly regaining the weight back. Yes, that was sort of an extreme example, but I wanted something that made metabolic differences evident.
I have read these articles, more than one, and no, they don't really train or eat in the same way they did during the show, which is completely normal as whatever they make them go through is completely unsustainable.

When you say "You just need to eat even more (or less) depending on your body type and goals." you basically just agreed with the nuances I was making about differences in biological metabolism unless I am missing something.
Then for the rest, like I told you again I am not into that, particularly not the bodybuilding lifestyle, and furthermore particularly not eating even more than them to compensate for my genetic predispositions, so yes I will continue with the ''feel'' system instead like I am telling you, feeling great.
That's fine, but maybe stop claiming you have a genetic predisposition that makes it incredibly difficult for you to put on weight when you don't even know how many calories you eat. You don't know. Maybe your metabolism is perfectly normal but you're just doing sports all the time, therefore burning a shit load of calories, without really eating all that much.

My point is 99% of the time, the people who tell me they can't put on weight, just don't understand how putting on weight works. They don't know how many calories they need for maintenance, they don't know their daily energy expenditure, and they have no clue how many cals they are consuming.
So before making these claims that you have a super fast metabolism, maybe look into that first.
I was 6'2 160-165 in my late teens, sports all the time, and I used to think I was eating enough to get bigger but like you...fast metabolism man! Reality though, I was nowhere near the actual right target once I started calculating.
It had nothing to do with being into bodybuilding, which I never really was, it was about learning and informing myself, because it made no sense.
Once I corrected my ratios, I jumped up to 185, doing exactly the same activity wise.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Use MyFitnessPal and log everything you eat. It's shocking how hard it is to eat as much as you need.

Unless you are eating out every day, a home cooked meal with normal serving size for most people who aren't trying to hit any specific goals is maybe 600-700 calories. Piece of chicken, some vegetables, maybe rice or potatoes.

Putting on weight (properly) is not easy. I find it hard to finish big meals. In restaurants, I almost never finish my meals, and if I do I tend to feel sick afterwards. In terms of regular meals I eat roughly 1800-2000 calories per day. Of course, then at night I'll drink another 300 calories of beer or get high and eat 500 calories of pretzels or something... But that's just bad habits :laugh: I am a bit out of sorts right now, living at my mom's while I wait to move into my new house. Plus my surgery really screwed me up, it just hit me yesterday that it's been almost an entire year since I do any sort of workout, even just running. A whole year!

When I used to work out and was weightlifting, I did all the research and calculated how much I needed to eat. It's one thing to add on the extra 500-700 calories but hitting the protein goals was VERY hard for me. We eat mostly vegetarian at home, and while I get a decent amount of protein from all the beans and stuff, it's hard for me to hit 180-200g of protein in a day without being able to get at least 50g per meal. And there's only so many protein shakes a guy can have in a day...

You can't say that you "can't put on weight" if you aren't ensuring to get your 200g of protein a day. Pretty much nobody is getting this if they aren't actively trying. Normal diets don't have that much protein. In fact, I'd be surprised if you're getting even half of that.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Use MyFitnessPal and log everything you eat. It's shocking how hard it is to eat as much as you need.

Unless you are eating out every day, a home cooked meal with normal serving size for most people who aren't trying to hit any specific goals is maybe 600-700 calories. Piece of chicken, some vegetables, maybe rice or potatoes.

Putting on weight (properly) is not easy. I find it hard to finish big meals. In restaurants, I almost never finish my meals, and if I do I tend to feel sick afterwards. In terms of regular meals I eat roughly 1800-2000 calories per day. Of course, then at night I'll drink another 300 calories of beer or get high and eat 500 calories of pretzels or something... But that's just bad habits :laugh: I am a bit out of sorts right now, living at my mom's while I wait to move into my new house. Plus my surgery really screwed me up, it just hit me yesterday that it's been almost an entire year since I do any sort of workout, even just running. A whole year!

When I used to work out and was weightlifting, I did all the research and calculated how much I needed to eat. It's one thing to add on the extra 500-700 calories but hitting the protein goals was VERY hard for me. We eat mostly vegetarian at home, and while I get a decent amount of protein from all the beans and stuff, it's hard for me to hit 180-200g of protein in a day without being able to get at least 50g per meal. And there's only so many protein shakes a guy can have in a day...

You can't say that you "can't put on weight" if you aren't ensuring to get your 200g of protein a day. Pretty much nobody is getting this if they aren't actively trying. Normal diets don't have that much protein. In fact, I'd be surprised if you're getting even half of that.
Hitting high levels of proteins is always challenging for me. If I don't have two protein shakes...it is very rare for me to hit 200g of proteins.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Hitting high levels of proteins is always challenging for me. If I don't have two protein shakes...it is very rare for me to hit 200g of proteins.
1. Thanks for your workout plan. I've been using it (though I've made some changes due to some injuries that I'm recovering from.)

2. I suggest adding egg whites and maybe some greek yogurt to your shake. It makes reaching those protein levels a lot easier.

HabsTown

Jun 5, 2014
Montreal

Damn, that's the other way around for me haha. I need to switch my food sources the day before when I plan my macros on myfitnesspal (I know, I'm a hardcore fitness guy but like it lol) since protein is too high compared to my fat/carbs.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
I just get so full trying to hit 200g of protein. At this point the only way I can do it is 2-3 protein shakes a day and that's with 2 scoops instead of the normal single scoop. It's expensive too.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
1. Thanks for your workout plan. I've been using it (though I've made some changes due to some injuries that I'm recovering from.)

2. I suggest adding egg whites and maybe some greek yogurt to your shake. It makes reaching those protein levels a lot easier.
The issue is more about where I live. Cooking is a big hastle here because kitchens are so freaking small, so meal prepping is a major pain. Eating out is tricky as. Finding a place that sells chicken and veggies is very difficult depending on the area. Most of where I go doesn't have that.

I eat chia seeds with greek yogurt already, not a fan of egg whites.
I have two shakes and yogurt that sets me about 100g...
Then I have some spicy pork or beef...and I'll have chicken later...with lentils..but none of the places have their nutritional value info. So tough to know.

But it's okay, I'm not really on any growing phase. I'm carelessly eating right now. Trying to eat healthy and get a decent amount of protein in but I don't really care about my macros.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Id guess so, but I aint a physician.

If things aren't moving through you, you can obviously up your water intake. The pharmacy will have a soluble powder (restorolax?) that you mix with water and it draws extra water into the colon.

Something for a more dire situation is to add a TBSP of salt to a litre of warm filtered water, and drink it as quickly as possible. It gives almost instant results (usually within an hour).

DO NOT LEAVE THE HOUSE! :laugh:

Reactions: Mrb1p

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
If things aren't moving through you, you can obviously up your water intake. The pharmacy will have a soluble powder (restorolax?) that you mix with water and it draws extra water into the colon.

Something for a more dire situation is to add a TBSP of salt to a litre of warm filtered water, and drink it as quickly as possible. It gives almost instant results (usually within an hour).

DO NOT LEAVE THE HOUSE! :laugh:
Id say things are moving, too quickly, on most days.

Reactions: groovejuice

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Im 5'11, and yeah its pretty hard. Today I only hit 175G of proteins, mainly because I was too busy at work. Ill have to meal prep for the weekend.

My wife is vegetarian, and she does all the cooking, so it can be hard for me to get what I need from just beans and stuff. She is pretty good at managing things and is able to hit her protein goals with yogurt, protein powder, chia seeds, nuts, etc... but I find that stuff is hard to eat for me. I get so full, super gassy and bloated. Like painful, rocket fuel level gas. And the surgery I had, while saving my life, makes it so food goes down very slow for me. If it ain't liquid it'll take me a long time to eat it, enough that I'll get full in the middle of a meal.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
The issue is more about where I live. Cooking is a big hastle here because kitchens are so freaking small, so meal prepping is a major pain. Eating out is tricky as. Finding a place that sells chicken and veggies is very difficult depending on the area. Most of where I go doesn't have that.

I eat chia seeds with greek yogurt already, not a fan of egg whites.
I have two shakes and yogurt that sets me about 100g...
Then I have some spicy pork or beef...and I'll have chicken later...with lentils..but none of the places have their nutritional value info. So tough to know.

But it's okay, I'm not really on any growing phase. I'm carelessly eating right now. Trying to eat healthy and get a decent amount of protein in but I don't really care about my macros.
Can you buy egg whites in a carton? I put them in my shakes and don't even know it's there. There's really no difference.

My shake is berries, chia, protein powder, spinach (again you don't even notice it) and then I add cocoa and cinnamon for some taste (they're also good for you) and then the egg whites. If I don't have the egg whites I'll add in the yogurt.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
My wife is vegetarian, and she does all the cooking, so it can be hard for me to get what I need from just beans and stuff. She is pretty good at managing things and is able to hit her protein goals with yogurt, protein powder, chia seeds, nuts, etc... but I find that stuff is hard to eat for me. I get so full, super gassy and bloated. Like painful, rocket fuel level gas. And the surgery I had, while saving my life, makes it so food goes down very slow for me. If it ain't liquid it'll take me a long time to eat it, enough that I'll get full in the middle of a meal.
If you've had serious digestive issues, wouldn't a vegetarian diet be easier on your system (aside from dairy)?

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Can you buy egg whites in a carton? I put them in my shakes and don't even know it's there. There's really no difference.

My shake is berries, chia, protein powder, spinach (again you don't even notice it) and then I add cocoa and cinnamon for some taste (they're also good for you) and then the egg whites. If I don't have the egg whites I'll add in the yogurt.
Is the egg white thing necessary? Why not just eat eggs?

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Is the egg white thing necessary? Why not just eat eggs?

Egg whites are useful in a lot of recipes, such as making meringue. That is unlikely to be what @Lafleurs Guy is trying to do.

However, there has been a lot of development in the area of using egg whites for meal preparation due to the 1980s-era beliefs that "fat is bad for you, cholesterol is bad for you." The egg yolks contain saturated fat and cholesterol, and thus many people have an irrational fear of them.

A quantitative comparison from here:
The Nutritional Value of Egg Whites Versus Egg Yolks: What Do You Use? – A Healthier Michigan
Nutrients: Egg Yolks Versus Egg Whites
NutrientWhiteYolk% Total in White% Total in Yolk
Protein3.6 g2.7g57%43%
Fat0.05g4.5g1%99%
Calcium2.3 mg21.9 mg9.5%90.5%
Magnesium3.6 mg0.85 mg80.8%19.2%
Iron0.03 mg0.4 mg6.2%93.8%
Phosphorus5 mg66.3 mg7%93%
Potassium53.8 mg18.5 mg74.4%25.6%
Sodium54.8 mg8.2 mg87%13%
Zinc0.01 mg0.4 mg0.2%99.8%
Copper0.008 mg0.013 mg38%62%
Manganese0.004 mg0.009 mg30.8%69.2%
Selenium6.6 mcg9.5 mcg41%59%
Thiamin0.01 mg0.03 mg3.2%96.8%
Riboflavin0.145 mg0.09 mg61.7%48.3%
Niacin0.035 mg0.004 mg89.7%9.3%
Pantothenic acid.0.63 mg0.51 mg11%89%
B60.002 mg0.059 mg3.3%96.7%
Folate1.3 mcg24.8 mcg5%95%
B120.03 mcg0.331 mcg8.3%91.7%
Vitamin A0 IU245 IU0%100%
Vitamin E0 mg0.684 mg0%100%
Vitamin D0 IU18.3 IU0%100%
Vitamin K0 IU0.119 IU0%100%
DHA and AA094 mg0%100%
Carotenoids0 mcg21 mcg0%100%
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

If you care about building muscles, then you should probably eat the egg yolks. They contain vitamin A, D, Zinc, and Copper, which are associated with higher testosterone levels.

Reactions: Lshap
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad