Fitness and Nutrition, Rep VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
The gym has reached the point of being boring / a chore for me now.

I was already thinking of starting a mini cut for 6 weeks or so because I’m happy in the 170-180 range (I’m 182 now), and changing up my split and workout routine to more high intensity stuff.

If that switch up can’t get things interesting for me anymore I might take a break from the weights and join my friend’s Muay Thai gym.
Just try something else, join an oly gym, powerlifting, crossfit. The mix up helps a lot. Or try a new program. I was in a similar spot last fall after being on 531 way too long. I laid off a bit and now Im back in it harder than ever. Training with someone also does wonders.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Is there a max weight on something like this?

I always panic that i'll rip off a wall or something.

It needs to be mounted securely. I mounted it with heavy duty screws on to a 2x10 and in turn attached that to a floor joist with heavy hinges. The hinges allow a tiny bit of swing.

These are designed specifically for rock climbing, of which I used to do a great deal, so I'd offer caution about trying to use the smaller holes and edges immediately.

It is a very dynamic approach to bodyweight exercise and you can move vertically, but especially horizontally. It will seriously address finger, wrist and forearm strength (and obviously all the muscle groups used in pullups and chins) and it's almost impossible to cheat using momentum because swinging will pull you off the smaller holds / knobs /indentations.

Reactions: LyricalLyricist

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Just try something else, join an oly gym, powerlifting, crossfit. The mix up helps a lot. Or try a new program. I was in a similar spot last fall after being on 531 way too long. I laid off a bit and now Im back in it harder than ever. Training with someone also does wonders.
I'm more of a solitary guy myself. Actually, I'll go through phases.
I used to like training with people, it was one of the things I loved about Crossfit, when CF was still good, right now though I'm much better solo.
I think it's probably because everytime I train with someone they expect me to lead and give directions, being a trainer...Even if I train with the other trainers here, I'm the Master trainer so I still have to go directives.
I want to get into gymnastics actually, but that studio is annoyingly far for me.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I'm more of a solitary guy myself. Actually, I'll go through phases.
I used to like training with people, it was one of the things I loved about Crossfit, when CF was still good, right now though I'm much better solo.
I think it's probably because everytime I train with someone they expect me to lead and give directions, being a trainer...Even if I train with the other trainers here, I'm the Master trainer so I still have to go directives.
I want to get into gymnastics actually, but that studio is annoyingly far for me.
Youre such a hipster Kriss :laugh:

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
@groovejuice To continue the discussion over PK's training, more specifically, his running speed drills.
Do you think someone who runs fast will skate fast?
Running and skating recruit your muscles in different ways. If I can put it even more simply, take Pacioretty, who we can all agree is a fast, strong and powerful skater. Make him skate backwards though and it isn't very pretty.
It is no different than running vs skating. Doing hurdle runs/drills for a pro NHLer is pretty useless imo.
Doing weightlifting will undoubtedly increase his strength and power. That's good. Doing his drills on that air bubble is good as it seems like a good simulation of the instability he gets from being on the ice with skates.
But I wouldn't put him on a track. To me that's pretty useless, or should I say, inefficient. He's doing sprinting drills...why? How about focusing on ice sprints instead seeing how his sports is played...on the ice. Seems like a pretty simple and logical thing to do.
If just for fun to do something different, go learn some sprinting tips from Terrell Owens and catch some footballs, fine. But as a regular training...I wouldn't do it.
He's been doing that for a number of years during the off season, maybe that's why his speed doesn't seem to have improved all that much on the ice.

Reactions: groovejuice

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
@groovejuice To continue the discussion over PK's training, more specifically, his running speed drills.
Running and skating recruit your muscles in different ways. If I can put it even more simply, take Pacioretty, who we can all agree is a fast, strong and powerful skater. Make him skate backwards though and it isn't very pretty.
It is no different than running vs skating. Doing hurdle runs/drills for a pro NHLer is pretty useless imo.
Doing weightlifting will undoubtedly increase his strength and power. That's good. Doing his drills on that air bubble is good as it seems like a good simulation of the instability he gets from being on the ice with skates.
But I wouldn't put him on a track. To me that's pretty useless, or should I say, inefficient. He's doing sprinting drills...why? How about focusing on ice sprints instead seeing how his sports is played...on the ice. Seems like a pretty simple and logical thing to do.
If just for fun to do something different, go learn some sprinting tips from Terrell Owens and catch some footballs, fine. But as a regular training...I wouldn't do it.
He's been doing that for a number of years during the off season, maybe that's why his speed doesn't seem to have improved all that much on the ice.

But, a track for training can be found anywhere, which is not true of an open skating rink.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
But, a track for training can be found anywhere, which is not true of an open skating rink.

1) Ice treadmills exists.
2) He's a pro hockey player, if his training needs him to skate, then he can plan to be at a rink.
3) His track work was in LA. They have ice rinks there.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
1) Ice treadmills exists.
2) He's a pro hockey player, if his training needs him to skate, then he can plan to be at a rink.
3) His track work was in LA. They have ice rinks there.

I'm sorry, I'm still skeptical. LA is a huge place, I don't know if empty and large ice rinks are always nearby in LA. Subban may also want a program that he can take anywhere.

I didn't know about ice treadmills though, that's cool.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Tbh, anecdotal and all, but fast feet equal fast skater. I have incredibly fast feet because of all the footwork ive done for football and Im a really good skater, I actually hold my own very well in that department against Q players and ECHLRs (Got a lot of friends that made it.)

I agree with you on hurdles and sprints and that his time would be better spent on the ice, but footwork drills should be a staple of any NHL players, especially ones that have lead foot like Subban.

I think that by just going for foot work on grass rather than ice could allow you to create more power, in on-ice case, youre always dipsy doodling with your legs and never really putting down power, I see some transferability there.

(My skating is as far as it goes in the me matching up against any players of good caliber, good caliber starts at Peewee B or so :laugh:)

I agree that Subbans training has been weird through the years. Hes lost so much speed over the years, Id be changing things up really fast. He used to be so light footed and powerful in his stride now he might have the slowest legs ive seen, its like hes moving slo-mo. Good thing he still has that elite+++ edge work because he wouldve crashed a few years ago.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Tbh, anecdotal and all, but fast feet equal fast skater. I have incredibly fast feet because of all the footwork ive done for football and Im a really good skater, I actually hold my own very well in that department against Q players and ECHLRs (Got a lot of friends that made it.)
Well, as you said, it's anecdotal and uncontrolled. I mean, can you say for a fact that you are a good skater in hockey thanks to footwork you've done in Football? Or is it thanks to all the other training you've done?
I was a very fast and powerful skater too, always one of the fastests on the teams I've played for. I never did a single drill of footwork.
There is a debate over how useless footwork and agility ladders are in football already, let alone translating it to hockey.
There is also something that seems off to me. Speed comes from how much force you can create pushing off the ice or ground. Just look at all the speed ice skaters, they all have long powerful strides. Now I know, you don't do that in hockey, but even when they kick off quicker, which is similar to hockey strides, it's still completely different than the speed you get off the ground from fast feet. When you do fast feet drills on field or agility ladders, it has to me it has nothing to do with speed.
The drills are the ground are done extremely fast exherting close to no power, it's as if you are on the balls of your feet the entire time. That's really different than skating.
I just don't see the transfer from one sport to the other.

I think your skating skills in hockey have probably more to do with other things.
I agree with you on hurdles and sprints and that his time would be better spent on the ice, but footwork drills should be a staple of any NHL players, especially ones that have lead foot like Subban.

I think that by just going for foot work on grass rather than ice could allow you to create more power, in on-ice case, youre always dipsy doodling with your legs and never really putting down power, I see some transferability there.
Precisely why you should be training in that environment. I don't really like the Bosu but those bubbles he uses seem pretty good. To me, that is so much more effective than doing footwork on the ground.

(My skating is as far as it goes in the me matching up against any players of good caliber, good caliber starts at Peewee B or so :laugh:)

I agree that Subbans training has been weird through the years. Hes lost so much speed over the years, Id be changing things up really fast. He used to be so light footed and powerful in his stride now he might have the slowest legs ive seen, its like hes moving slo-mo. Good thing he still has that elite+++ edge work because he wouldve crashed a few years ago.
I actually think PK looks like he's doing footdrills on the ice..lol It's like he gets excited moving around...but there's little power and speed.

Reactions: Mrb1p

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I'm sorry, I'm still skeptical. LA is a huge place, I don't know if empty and large ice rinks are always nearby in LA. Subban may also want a program that he can take anywhere.

I didn't know about ice treadmills though, that's cool.

Subban is a pro athlete doing off-season training. He goes to LA because he's training with people there.
If his training revolved around ice skating, then he would be staying nearby a rink.

If he has an event in LA, he could pop in and then go back out to wherever he needs to be to train.

Reactions: DAChampion

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary

Thanks for the detailed reply @Kriss E. I understand the thrust of your argument and it makes sense, but should all training be absolutely specific to one's chosen sport? Are there really no additional benefits from deviating from hockey specific workouts?

Could yoga, swimming, frisbee football, long distance running, hiking, etc. not add nuanced benefits on top of traditional hockey workouts?

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Thanks for the detailed reply @Kriss E. I understand the thrust of your argument and it makes sense, but should all training be absolutely specific to one's chosen sport? Are there really no additional benefits from deviating from hockey specific workouts?

Could yoga, swimming, frisbee football, long distance running, hiking, etc. not add nuanced benefits on top of traditional hockey workouts?

Of course there is, but not everything. Doing an activity like frisbee football isn't going to transfer to anything while playing hockey. I mean, again, we are talking about a professional athlete here, not an average joe who will benefit from any type of activity.
Going on a hike isn't going to do anything to improve the skills PK needs to perform at an even higher level.
There are some things he can definitely do, like Olympic Lifting, mobility work, strength and power, accuracy drills. Yoga is great to improve breathing and flexibility, which is important for any athlete.
Long distance running, meh, it will improve his cardiovascular abilities in the long range, so on some levels yes, but hockey is about shorter intense intervals. But it's always good to work on both.

But for a guy who is already a well developed athlete, he needs a lot more specificity. He needs to work on very specific weakenesses. He should be doing drag runs and parachute skating a lot more. Intense suicides as well. Things like that.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Of course there is, but not everything. Doing an activity like frisbee football isn't going to transfer to anything while playing hockey. I mean, again, we are talking about a professional athlete here, not an average joe who will benefit from any type of activity.
Going on a hike isn't going to do anything to improve the skills PK needs to perform at an even higher level.
There are some things he can definitely do, like Olympic Lifting, mobility work, strength and power, accuracy drills. Yoga is great to improve breathing and flexibility, which is important for any athlete.
Long distance running, meh, it will improve his cardiovascular abilities in the long range, so on some levels yes, but hockey is about shorter intense intervals. But it's always good to work on both.

But for a guy who is already a well developed athlete, he needs a lot more specificity. He needs to work on very specific weakenesses. He should be doing drag runs and parachute skating a lot more. Intense suicides as well. Things like that.

This i can 100% get on board with, and its something Subban hasnt really been doing.

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary

I agree that Subban should work on elements of his skating. I'd look at coach with success at the NHL level - apparently some come from a figure skating background. That sounds smart to me.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Kind of disappointed. Made an attempt at my 10k in under an hour today and only got 5.7 miles. Wasn't even an endurance/speed problem I don't think. I started out too fast and faded bad at around the 40 minute mark. I think my pacing was horrible, I had 2 miles in 18:40 and 3 miles in 28:30, was already beginning to slow on the 3rd mile and then I only completed 2.7 miles in the remaining 31:30 , brutal. I've only got a few more weeks to get this right.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I agree that Subban should work on elements of his skating. I'd look at coach with success at the NHL level - apparently some come from a figure skating background. That sounds smart to me.
Honestly, I would stick with people who understand the demands of your sports. PK doesn't have to run, so forget track work, he isn't doing speed or figure skating either so while it could be good, I'd stick with coaches who understand PK is skating with equipment, a stick, often times a puck, backwards with guys coming off both of his wings.

It's the same argument they use against agility ladders and foot drills in football. It's all good doing your quick feet drills, but put a ball in your hands, have your head up with a guy coming towards you from your left and 2 guys in front. Does fast feet end up being a tad useless.
That's not necessarily my view, but other's and I understand their point. I disagree as you still fast twitch muscles and that can help, but I agree that these drills are way overrated.

Honestly, if I were his coach, I'd make PK skate with his equipment all the time. Parachute sprints, simulations, change of directions, backward drills, etc..
But if I had to chose between track coach or figure skater, then ya, figure skater all the way.

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
Been training a lot this summer, I can now do in a set 22 chin-ups, 16 pull-ups, standard push-up I am not sure but a lot, too many to try, since I can do around 30 clapping push-ups in a row. FeelsGreatMan :).
I do well in bodyweight exercises since I am very thin though, I don't know what my body fat percentage is, below 10% for sure, probably between 5-8% (my metabolism is just made that way, I don't pay much attention to what I eat but I have healthy habits). I am 6'00 and only 140 lbs.

Last edited:

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Been training a lot this summer, I can now do in a set 22 chin-ups, 16 pull-ups, standard push-up I am not sure but a lot, too many to try, since I can do around 30 clapping push-ups in a row. FeelsGreatMan :).
I do well in bodyweight exercises since I am very thin though, I don't know what my body fat percentage is, below 10% for sure, probably between 5-8% (my metabolism is just made that way, I don't pay much attention to what I eat but I have healthy habits). I am 6'00 and only 140 lbs.
That's skinny mate. Not sure what your goals are.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

You a stick

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
I used to be 132 lbs, my genetic is built that way, always been told I was skinny despite doing sports all my life, both my baseline fat and muscle mass is much lower than average. Factoring that, I am pretty happy with my physic at the moment, considering my size my definition is pretty good because of low body fat with good chest to waist ratio. I don't have a goal other than being healthy.

Last edited:

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Any suggestions for a good fitness equipment store in Montreal? Main thing I am having trouble finding is a power cage. They are expensive to buy online due to shipping, but whatever physical local stores I've found through google have very limited selection. I need to shop around a bit to find a cage that will fit the room I want to put it in.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Any suggestions for a good fitness equipment store in Montreal? Main thing I am having trouble finding is a power cage. They are expensive to buy online due to shipping, but whatever physical local stores I've found through google have very limited selection. I need to shop around a bit to find a cage that will fit the room I want to put it in.

Power

Shop is in Chambly. Not entirely sure you can pick them up?

Awesome construction, ive been working on these racks for a few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad