Fitness and Nutrition, Rep VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
Its inspired from military training, where theres actual things in their backpacks... not weights lol. I hike a lot, day or backpacking and I've done from no pack to 70+ pounds, I'd never put weight on my shoulders for no reasons, theres just no point. Either go up faster, do something harder or just weight train.

Isn't weight training putting weights on your shoulders for no reason?

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Come on, it's a lot more than two minutes. The cooking time might be two minutes but add in the dishes, going to the grocery store more often, etc, and the fact that its harder to transport.

Back in the 1990s, you could get a can of tuna in olive oil for 99 cents.

The trick is to find high quality canned tuna. Spanish varieties, including Ventresca are superior. If you can find tuna on the shelf in a vaccum bag, that's also generally superior to most canned products.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
The trick is to find high quality canned tuna. Spanish varieties, including Ventresca are superior. If you can find tuna on the shelf in a vaccum bag, that's also generally superior to most canned products.

I can only eat tuna when it's in olive oil. Canned tuna in water .... god help me.

Reactions: Andrei79

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
Its inspired from military training, where theres actual things in their backpacks... not weights lol. I hike a lot, day or backpacking and I've done from no pack to 70+ pounds, I'd never put weight on my shoulders for no reasons, theres just no point. Either go up faster, do something harder or just weight train.

Sure, but if you're going to go hike for whatever reason (girlfriend wants to, say) then why not add some weight and increase the work you do? 2 birds 1 stone

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Can you recommend brands other than Ventresca? In the meantime, I'll try Ventresca.

Regrettably that's the only one I'm familiar with. If you have a Spanish grocery/deli that you know of, that would be somewhere to look. Not impossible that high end international groceries would have that or similar products.

I did a search and Loblaws and Walmart both carry it @DAChampion.

Last edited:

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Do you use hiking poles? The muscles around my knees are still sore from Monday's hike.
I do if the hike down is really tough or if Im using my heavier backpack, thats a must IMO. Otherwise I just strap them on my daypack but never use them. Invested in a pair of black diamonds, theyre amazingly light so I dont mind bringing them along.

Reactions: mariolemieux66

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
I do if the hike down is really tough or if Im using my heavier backpack, thats a must IMO. Otherwise I just strap them on my daypack but never use them. Invested in a pair of black diamonds, theyre amazingly light so I dont mind bringing them along.
Thanks!
I'll be looking for hiking poles then. Can't put my ankles and knees at risk of injuries.

philipsson

Jan 12, 2014
I want to start squatting. I'm already doing this machine
Super-Squat-Machine-with-Commercial-Gym-Exercise-Fitness-Equipment.jpg

I am doing 3x8 so it's hard to determine my 1RM (which would be useless on this machine I guess).

How much harder is a standard squat ? That's probably badly explained but I'm wondering, for example, if I do 250 lbs 3x8 with the machine, how does that translate to a standard squat ?

I guess I should be starting with the form, to make sure I don't injure myself and start with less weight and more rep to get used to the exercise.

Well, what do you suggest for that kind of situation ?

Peanut

Alzner is SOLID
Oct 28, 2015

I am doing 3x8 so it's hard to determine my 1RM (which would be useless on this machine I guess).

How much harder is a standard squat ? That's probably badly explained but I'm wondering, for example, if I do 250 lbs 3x8 with the machine, how does that translate to a standard squat ?

I guess I should be starting with the form, to make sure I don't injure myself and start with less weight and more rep to get used to the exercise.

Get right to the squat rack and stay away from the smith machine! Try to concentrate for proper range of motion even if the weight is very light everyone starts there look at videos if you need help, I like to put two 2.5 pound weight space on the floor space them properly put my heels on them if im noticing im not putting enough weight on the back of my heels. You will notice a different kind of soreness the first day you do a nice set of squats exercises.

Weight wise I would not go over 95(25 each side and bar) right now I know it sounds light but focus heavily on proper reps, the payoff will help more long term.

First video that I found

Try the hack squat machine too

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Sure, but if you're going to go hike for whatever reason (girlfriend wants to, say) then why not add some weight and increase the work you do? 2 birds 1 stone
Well, if you're working out already, you wouldn't need to kill two birds with one stone. The hike would be an active recovery day, so no need.
If the girl wants to go for hike, then I suggest just going at it to enjoy the nice day out, not pointlessly making it a bit harder on yourself. You're not going to develop that much more strength adding 20lbs on your back.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

If you want to start squatting, then squat. Simple as that, make sure you read up on how to position yourself properly, bracing, muscle recruitment, and you're good to go.
Start light and build up slowly, leave your ego at home, it doesn't matter if you have tiny grandma weights on.
Forget weights used on machines, they are irrelevant.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Get right to the squat rack and stay away from the smith machine! Try to concentrate for proper range of motion even if the weight is very light everyone starts there look at videos if you need help, I like to put two 2.5 pound weight space on the floor space them properly put my heels on them if im noticing im not putting enough weight on the back of my heels. You will notice a different kind of soreness the first day you do a nice set of squats exercises.

Weight wise I would not go over 95(25 each side and bar) right now I know it sounds light but focus heavily on proper reps, the payoff will help more long term.

First video that I found

Try the hack squat machine too

Looks like a hacksqaut machine he posted. They're fine to incorporate into the routine too, but I agree barbell squats are a must.

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
I re started running i do 500 cals a session . Im a lil overweight

Its such a victory and no more back pain

Btw i have a little neck sprain and upper back strain but i still ran last 2 days im taking it off today and tommorow and putting ice on it ? Good decision? I just dont feel like waiting for it to heal and re start running looks like i have no choice

Im so happy guys i never thought i would a wat to be active again but the strategy was a lot easier the i thiught . I had to fast walk until to heal up to run im dumb

Reactions: jaffy27
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad