Fitness and Nutrition, Rep VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peanut

Alzner is SOLID
Oct 28, 2015
Played fastball up until 2 years ago. Played it for like 30 years. I stopped because of a shoulder injury that really affected my throwing. No strength or speed throwing anymore.

I've played in a few volleyball leagues too & pick-up basketball. I prefer team sports over individual activities. You make a lot of friends on both sides of the field. It really helps you form a community.

It was also just fun, sated the competitive juices, and I actually trained for it all year. Not in a gym just on my own doing squats, push-ups, sprints, light jogging, etc. I was mainly a catcher, but also played outfielder to give my knees an occasional break.

It kept me motivated to stay in shape.
Which has been a bit of a problem since I dropped out. I tend to like outdoor activities over indoor, so hiking is my go to exercise now, but not a lot of socializing involved in that.

It's also really cost effective. Running shoes, baseball hat and glove is all you need, although some guys bring their own bat, I just used the team provided ones. They were all good quality. Cost to join is usually pretty good too.

You don't get too many fastball leagues these days, it's mainly softball, slo-pitch or 3-pitch.

Fastball is such a dying sport great game fast quick I had many hardball players come over and try it and do they ever look silly the first time they face a riseball pitcher.

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
Yep, but then again, I suck so much at it that I don't see myself ever playing it.

I'm like you, so I quited playing team sports, i do way better for myself in martial arts or at least don't feel like I'm useless at it.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I just started the intense cycle of Smolov and I already missed two lifts. I'm wondering if I should dial back the weights, work with it or just consider this a bad day at work. I had a few beers yesterday and came home late so the day was particularly tough under the bar.

I'm thinking of maybe just going another day and then assessing from there. How much can two missed lift really impact my training.

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
I did a 5 hours kayaking and a 2 hours hiking trip at Pitt Lake on Saturday. I am hiking the Eagle Ridge Trail today, which is about a 5 hours round trip. Got to enjoy the natural wonders of BC.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mrb1p

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I love hiking so much. Until I'm about halfway in the hike, then I start hating myself and then I like it again once I summit.

I have a few 5000 footers to do still.

Katahdin, Washington and Cascade mainly. The first two are a challenge, I have to train a bit more for them.

Reactions: mariolemieux66

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Since both my gyms (it's on a campus) have been closed the last 2 days and today. It'll mark the longest I've gone between workouts since some time in 2016. I've done a few bodyweight exercises in the park, so it's not all bad, but I miss it.

Reactions: DAChampion

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Still going strong here, altered my rest day this week from Sunday to Friday. I wanted to workout yesterday knowing the gym would be closed for the holiday today. Yesterday I did a 4.15 miles in 40 mins. I felt so good on the treadmill, but still quite slow compared to where I was when I was doing this all the time, but the progress I have made in 3 weeks has been amazing.

Tomorrow is heavy day at 10 reps per set. I've got all my weights written down so I know where my lifts are at and what weight to put on the bar. Going to do this week of heavy/medium/light and same again next week at 11 reps before I increase the weight by 10%. So far I haven't struggled on any of my lifts, except surprisingly I almost had an issue on my light day, I guess I likely overdone it on the running prior to the workout, but I struggled on my 3rd bench set, but made it without compromising form.

Can already see the body transformation coming and I had a few ppl mention to me that I looked like I was losing weight. Always good to hear positive feedback in order to keep you focused on your goals.

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
Can't seem to be able to upload the rest of my pictures. 7 hours hike, 15kms in distance, 1250 meters in elevation, 30 degrees heat, ran out of water, legs started to cramp. I am going to sleep like a baby tonight!

Attachments

• 20180806_131613.jpg
    20180806_131613.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 3
  • PART_1533605764094.jpeg
    PART_1533605764094.jpeg
    183.8 KB · Views: 1

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Can't seem to be able to upload the rest of my pictures. 7 hours hike, 15kms in distance, 1250 meters in elevation, 30 degrees heat, ran out of water, legs started to cramp. I am going to sleep like a baby tonight!
Beautiful.

Mine was 34 KMs, took me about 6 hours I think and with a 1600 meter elevation. My toes are just starting to feel better for my next one.

Reactions: mariolemieux66

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
I love hiking so much. Until I'm about halfway in the hike, then I start hating myself and then I like it again once I summit.

I have a few 5000 footers to do still.

Katahdin, Washington and Cascade mainly. The first two are a challenge, I have to train a bit more for them.

How can you not love rucking?

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
Yeah, we did it pretty fast, I was feeling pretty rough while coming down, but I'm pretty experienced, but this was my first in about four months so it was tougher than the usual.
Was there snow in your hike 4 months ago?
Some day hikes around here still have snow.

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
I was in Hawaii, there was no snow, just a lot of rain, wind, hail, fog and every imaginable weather hazard :laugh:.
:laugh:
I heard they have beautiful long hikes in Hawaii, some leads to gorgeous valleys or beach were people camp.

I might try snowshoeing this winter after 30+ years.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Completely snapped my neck last week. Actually, pretty sure it was my traps and that caused my neck to be almost immovable. I knew it was just a matter of time, I was waking up with stiff neck for the past week. Went for a massage but it didn't quite work. Then doing light overhead press at 135, I felt something pull right away. My range of motion was instantly cut in half, was so annoying.
Went for dry needling right away, and man, a couple days later I can definitely feel a huge relief around my traps. They were incredibly tight before, discomfort mostly gone but I think I should go for another session.
First time I did dry needling, that worked on me quite well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad