Fitness and Nutrition, Rep VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
ditched my running shoes because my knees were getting sore, bought an Electric Mountain bike for the rest of the summer. Honestly most fun I've had in years, and I'm getting a killer workout. Upto 40km's a day on the trails and roads, best purchase I've made in years. My knees no longer ache, but my legs sure do when I'm done a good ride.

philipsson

Jan 12, 2014
I ment this machine skip to 2:20 of the video

That's exactly the machine I am actually using. I've been doing 3x8 with 500 lbs. I'll leave the ego behind (just like kriss said) and start lightly with the standard squats.

Reactions: Peanut

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
If you want to start squatting, then squat. Simple as that, make sure you read up on how to position yourself properly, bracing, muscle recruitment, and you're good to go.
Start light and build up slowly, leave your ego at home, it doesn't matter if you have tiny grandma weights on.
Forget weights used on machines, they are irrelevant.
True....I’ve always said that a guy squatting 100lbs is getting just as good as a workout then the guy squatting 315lbs if they are both pushing at 100% of their capabilities.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
I re started running i do 500 cals a session . Im a lil overweight

Its such a victory and no more back pain

Btw i have a little neck sprain and upper back strain but i still ran last 2 days im taking it off today and tommorow and putting ice on it ? Good decision? I just dont feel like waiting for it to heal and re start running looks like i have no choice

Im so happy guys i never thought i would a wat to be active again but the strategy was a lot easier the i thiught . I had to fast walk until to heal up to run im dumb
Keep at it....running is an outstanding calorie and fat burner (outside running)

Make sure you have good shoes too.

Once you get good at it, I like to run for 3km as a warm up......I then pick a lamp post on the road and stop there....I walk to the next lamp post, then sprint as hard as I can to the next one, then I stop and walk to the next, then sprint to the next, then walk to the next...and so on and so forth.

Believe me, you will be wiped in no time

Reactions: DAChampion

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Been having success running a two day lifting program + hockey.

Except for games, nothing goes beyond 50 minutes. Lost 10lbs while steadily getting my strength back.

One of the key things is that I've sacrificed short term lifting/fitness goals for long term health. Haven't injured myself nor run into any sort of tendinitis, despite a more than 2 year layoff.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
True....I’ve always said that a guy squatting 100lbs is getting just as good as a workout then the guy squatting 315lbs if they are both pushing at 100% of their capabilities.
Everything is relative.
But even the guy pushing 315 can get a terrific workout with 100lbs, it will just be recruiting a different energy system and for different goal.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Did 4.1 miles in 40 min yesterday. My best run since returning to doing this. Felt so good, I felt like I could have sustained my pace for another 10-15 minutes easily too, but I was on my lunch break and 40 mins was all I had if I wanted to shower and get back to work on time.

Tomorrow is my heavy day x 11 reps. So excited to kill it. Last week before increasing weight by 10% and starting back at 7 reps.

I had a bad cheat day though. I had some of the best pizza I have ever had lol.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Decided to go mental today and do every set as a drop set.
3x30 (10-10-10) for Squats-Bench Press-Standing pulley rows-Rope Curls-Pushdowns.
Feeling pretty beaten up right now, but somehow...I really liked it.
Thinking of doing this 3/week and doing 2 days of low-mid intensity circuit training or sprints.

Reactions: philipsson

strongcomp05

Jun 8, 2018
I feel there are more variables than just that, but if both are going to FAILURE, then yes both would produce same results.

Brad Schoenfeld has a study come out, I want to say 6 months ago, could be more than basically stated that heavy ass sets of 5 or light pump sets of 15 would produce the same level of hypertrophy IF both were brought to complete muscle failure. Without that, the 315 would trump the 100.

strongcomp05

Jun 8, 2018
Decided to go mental today and do every set as a drop set.
3x30 (10-10-10) for Squats-Bench Press-Standing pulley rows-Rope Curls-Pushdowns.
Feeling pretty beaten up right now, but somehow...I really liked it.
Thinking of doing this 3/week and doing 2 days of low-mid intensity circuit training or sprints.
Add rest pauses over drop sets and watch yourself growwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

strongcomp05

Jun 8, 2018
Everything is relative.
But even the guy pushing 315 can get a terrific workout with 100lbs, it will just be recruiting a different energy system and for different goal.
different energy system? please explain, as this is false

and why would it be a different goal? 5lbs, 100lbs or 315lbs, its not going to use a different energy system (no idea what this even means lol) and it could all be the same goal, could be strength progression, could be hypertrophy, could be fat loss. Amount of weight does not dictate goal.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans

and why would it be a different goal? 5lbs, 100lbs or 315lbs, its not going to use a different energy system (no idea what this even means lol) and it could all be the same goal, could be strength progression, could be hypertrophy, could be fat loss. Amount of weight does not dictate goal.
Brute strength vs stamina......I’ll bench 2 and a half plates 6 times........I’ll bench 1 plate 35 times.......raw power vs stamina

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Everything is relative.
Agree......I always mix this around, I’ll trade weight for reps every other workout

strongcomp05

Jun 8, 2018
Brute strength vs stamina......I’ll bench 2 and a half plates 6 times........I’ll bench 1 plate 35 times.......raw power vs stamina

Not trying to be a dick here but that legit means nothing man. power vs stamina is 2 completely different variables. You could achieve the same goal utilizing both. If I am trying to grow muscle, I would be focusing on heavy compounds (Strength) and later in the workout focusing on isolation work and doing much high reps, (12-50) (stamina) focusing on sarcoplasmic growth and stretching the fascia...

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

You just listed 3 different goals...

We are hypothetically talking about a guy who can loft 315, making 100lbs about 30%, he isn't going to build up his absolute strength by doing sets of 5 at 100. Hence, different goals.

Different energy system depends on reps and scheme. Pretty sure you know this.
Depends on the structure.

strongcomp05

Jun 8, 2018
You just listed 3 different goals...

We are hypothetically talking about a guy who can loft 315, making 100lbs about 30%, he isn't going to build up his absolute strength by doing sets of 5 at 100. Hence, different goals.

Different energy system depends on reps and scheme. Pretty sure you know this.

I listed those for examples sake. You are comparing apples to oranges. Of course he wouldnt improve strength doing sets of 5 @30% of 1RM, but a lot of powerlifters are improving strength working in the 55-60% range on all lifts.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I listed those for examples sake. You are comparing apples to oranges. Of course he wouldnt improve strength doing sets of 5 @30% of 1RM, but a lot of powerlifters are improving strength working in the 55-60% range on all lifts.
I'm not comparing anything. I said you can have just as good as a workout using 100lbs than 315, all depends on what you're trying to achieve and how it's programmed.
Pavel Tsat is a big believer in working around the 50% mark as well.
Conjugate system is based off 2 explosive days working with low percentage, low reps.

If anything we agree man.

strongcomp05

Jun 8, 2018
I'm not comparing anything. I said you can have just as good as a workout using 100lbs than 315, all depends on what you're trying to achieve and how it's programmed.
Pavel Tsat is a big believer in working around the 50% mark as well.
Conjugate system is based off 2 explosive days working with low percentage, low reps.

If anything we agree man.

gotcha, i think some of the lingo threw me off tbh

all good!

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Not trying to be a dick here but that legit means nothing man. power vs stamina is 2 completely different variables. You could achieve the same goal utilizing both. If I am trying to grow muscle, I would be focusing on heavy compounds (Strength) and later in the workout focusing on isolation work and doing much high reps, (12-50) (stamina) focusing on sarcoplasmic growth and stretching the fascia...
That’s another way of doing it......i tend to focus on low reps on my heavy days. Right now I’m at the gym doing bicep curls starting with 10lbs......6 reps

Then I went up in 5 Lb increments all while staying at 6 reps per......I’ll bring those suckers to 55lbs.....

Next time I’ll do the same weight pyramid but at much higher reps, 15 per.

Reactions: strongcomp05

Peanut

Alzner is SOLID
Oct 28, 2015
Hey @Kriss E can you check out Galchenyuk's instragram story is he actually doing 295lbs for spilt squats I can never tell what the weight is with those coloured weights

Peanut

Alzner is SOLID
Oct 28, 2015
Yellows are 25
Reds are 45
Greens are 10s

That would be 315.

Ah I didn't see the 2nd green one damnnn the kid ain't messing around

Edit note to self never take too much Caffeine before a workout such a rookie mistake

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad