Fitness and Nutrition, Rep VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
At your request, I will not discuss the ethics and environmental issues associated with food consumption.

I will still compare different protein sources though, and that sort of thing.
No worries with that kind of discussion.

But the whole ethical debate surrounding veganism has been done to death and as I said, it never ends well. If people want to have those kinds of debates they can go to the political sections and have them there.

This thread is about fitness. Just please keep it on topic.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Lab-grown meat will not grow out of thin air, a bunch of chemicals and nutrients will still be used to produce that meat... I'm pretty sure pasture raised and organic cattle isn't more harmful for the environment than whatever process will be required for lab-grown.

[taking out moral comment in accordance to new thread rule]
There really is no info on how damaging enviromentally lab meat will end up being.
It's all good when it's a couple labs producing close to nothing, it's an entire story if they have to produce things to support 90% of the population.

Reactions: DAChampion

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
There really is no info on how damaging enviromentally lab meat will end up being.
It's all good when it's a couple labs producing close to nothing, it's an entire story if they have to produce things to support 90% of the population.

Gary Taubes' concern with lab-grown meat is that the corporations are going to make it "low-fat". I don't know if that's true, but I can see the general point being valid. They're not going to resist the temptation to tinker with something that works, and they're likely to make it worse.

Reactions: ToLegitToQuit

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Anyone got a good five day workout plan for 30 mins each? My shoulder is still messed up but is mostly recovered. My ankle is also finally recovered enough that I can start working out again properly.

Was thinking about two exercises per session:

1. squats, military press (maybe with dumbells instead of barbells)
2. bent over rows, chins
3. deadlifts, lat raises
4. bench press, tricep pulldowns
5. lunges, ab work

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Anyone got a good five day workout plan for 30 mins each? My shoulder is still messed up but is mostly recovered. My ankle is also finally recovered enough that I can start working out again properly.

2. bent over rows, chins
3. deadlifts, lat raises
5. lunges, ab work
Whats up with your shoulder? Stay away from military for the sake of your shoulder until its fully recovered and add some mobility.

Reactions: Lafleurs Guy

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Whats up with your shoulder? Stay away from military for the sake of your shoulder until its fully recovered and add some mobility.
I'm talking with a physiotherapist. I'm about a month away from military press and even then I'll probably use dumbells at first. They've given me some shoulder exercises that I'll be subbing in for this for the time being. I really just wanted thoughts on the workout plan itself because I think this is what I'll be going with this year.

strongcomp05

Jun 8, 2018

2. bent over rows, chins
3. deadlifts, lat raises
5. lunges, ab work

What's your goal?

strongcomp05

Jun 8, 2018
General fitness. I'll be throwing some HIIT and endurance exercise into this as well.
Gotcha, nice.

Well fwiw i really like the exercises you have picked out. I'd prob undulate volume depending on if you're looking to gain strength/or hypertrophy.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I'm talking with a physiotherapist. I'm about a month away from military press and even then I'll probably use dumbells at first. They've given me some shoulder exercises that I'll be subbing in for this for the time being. I really just wanted thoughts on the workout plan itself because I think this is what I'll be going with this year.

Do Kettlebell Bottom's up. If you cannot press them, you can do holds while walking. It helps reinforce the stabilizing muscles around the shoulders.
Turkish Get Ups are also great, you can start with no weight.
Farmer's walk as well.

Also, don't do any isolated exercises if your objective is overall fitness via 30 min workouts/HIIT. Doing a couple sets of tricep pushdowns once per week in a 10 exercises per week routine is pretty useless.

It's midnight here in HK, I gotta get my beauty sleep in, but I'll try to write you up something tomorrow.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Do Kettlebell Bottom's up. If you cannot press them, you can do holds while walking. It helps reinforce the stabilizing muscles around the shoulders.
Turkish Get Ups are also great, you can start with no weight.

Also, don't do any isolated exercises if your objective is overall fitness via 30 min workouts/HIIT. Doing a couple sets of tricep pushdowns per week in a 10 exercises per week routine is pretty useless.
Okay, thanks. Got an alternative 5 day workout scheme?

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Edited previous post.
Getting late here in HK, will try to write you one up tomorrow mate.
Thanks.

I don't have kettlebells. I've got a rack, olympic style barbells, a bench, adjustable dumbell rack and a 150lb resistance cable. I don't have room to add more as it's a small space. I do have an bosu ball that I can do some ab work on.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Welp... first failure of this program.

Attempted 7 sets of 5 at 205 yesterday. My 5th rep in my 6th set failed. I had a lot of trouble focusing yesterday and I remember in my failed rep I focused on squeezing the elbows towards one another (for some reason...) instead of just focusing on exploding at the bottom. The bar stopped 2/3 of the way so I could re-rack it.

Shit sucks. Though I know I could have had it. Still, 5 sets of 5 at 205 is a much improved bench compared to what I did before.

We'll see how Saturday's 10x3 goes. If I succeed, fine. If I fail, it's going to be 2 failures in a row and I'll reconsider. Maybe it's sign my body needs a break. Or a deload.

I also suspect I am not eating enough. Been hovering around 178-179 for a couple of weeks now.

Going by the calculations, 3 reps at 220 is a 1RM of 237. 5 reps at 205 is a 1RM of 236. So the level of difficulty should be fairly similar on Saturday. I just got to come in well rested and WELL fed. A&W should take care of that tomorrow night :laugh:

Reactions: BehindTheTimes

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Thanks.

I don't have kettlebells. I've got a rack, olympic style barbells, a bench, adjustable dumbell rack and a 150lb resistance cable. I don't have room to add more as it's a small space. I do have an bosu ball that I can do some ab work on.
Snap..Got totally jammed at work today man, sorry, working on a couple big projects. Will try to have a go at it tomorrow.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Welp... first failure of this program.

Attempted 7 sets of 5 at 205 yesterday. My 5th rep in my 6th set failed. I had a lot of trouble focusing yesterday and I remember in my failed rep I focused on squeezing the elbows towards one another (for some reason...) instead of just focusing on exploding at the bottom. The bar stopped 2/3 of the way so I could re-rack it.

**** sucks. Though I know I could have had it. Still, 5 sets of 5 at 205 is a much improved bench compared to what I did before.

We'll see how Saturday's 10x3 goes. If I succeed, fine. If I fail, it's going to be 2 failures in a row and I'll reconsider. Maybe it's sign my body needs a break. Or a deload.

I also suspect I am not eating enough. Been hovering around 178-179 for a couple of weeks now.

Going by the calculations, 3 reps at 220 is a 1RM of 237. 5 reps at 205 is a 1RM of 236. So the level of difficulty should be fairly similar on Saturday. I just got to come in well rested and WELL fed. A&W should take care of that tomorrow night :laugh:
What week are you on ?

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
What week are you on ?

Just finished week 5. Like I said, it's not a classic Smolov Jr. mesocycle though. I'm just following the reps scheme and percentages. I'm benching three times a week instead of 4 and I'm way more conservative in my weights increments.

My main concern was about my shoulders getting it hard on this program but so far, they're as fresh as ever.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Just finished week 5. Like I said, it's not a classic Smolov Jr. mesocycle though. I'm just following the reps scheme and percentages. I'm benching three times a week instead of 4 and I'm way more conservative in my weights increments.

My main concern was about my shoulders getting it hard on this program but so far, they're as fresh as ever.

Not conservative enough if you missed reps, missing reps in a smolov program will make you suffer for the next days ahead IMO. Take he weight down, I did and still gained 45 pounds on my squat with the base meso, if not more.

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
One thing which may have helped my mental fitness recently is that I've reduced my time spent on facebook and twitter. I've also logged out of most message boards on my cell phone.
Similarly I turned off notifications on a bunch of apps on my phone, including Facebook. It's been great.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Similarly I turned off notifications on a bunch of apps on my phone, including Facebook. It's been great.
I mostly browse FB and IG at work... Other than that, Im fully aware that I spend way too much time on this board. Ill be using it a lot less when I start back school in september though.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Screw it, here's a quick one @Lafleur:

Day 1:
A1- Squats 3 x 3-5 - 60-90 rest
A2- Pull Ups 3 x 3-5 - 120 rest
B1- Hanging knee tucks 3x30-60 sec - 0 rest
B2- Lying Leg Raises 3x 10-20 - 60 rest

Day 2:
A1- Bench Press 3 x 3-5 - 60-90 rest
A2- DB Rows 3 x 3-5 - 120 rest
B1- Push Ups 3 x 10-20 - 0 rest
B2- Back Extensions 3x 10-20 60 rest

Day 3:
A1- Deadlifts 3 x 3-5 - 60-90 rest
A2- Dips 3 x 8-12 - 120 rest
B1- Good Mornings 3 x 8 - 0 rest
B2- Plank 3 x 60 - 60 rest

Day4 :
A1- Single arm alternating Incline DB Press 3 x 8 - 60 rest
A2- Farmer's Walk/Hold 3 x 50 steps (heavy) - 90 rest
B1- Bent over lateral raises 3 x 12
B2- L-Sits hold (knee tucks if can't do L) 3 x max hold

Day 5:
A1- Box Squats (Bench if no box) 3 x 8 - 60 rest
A2- Chin Ups 3 x Max - 90 rest
*B1- Step ups 3 x 8-12/ea - 0 rest
*B2- Cable bicep Curls (gotta have some curls for the gurls) 3 sets of 10/10/10 drop sets.
*For B1-B2 here, you do one set of Step ups, then go to cable start curling one weight for 10 reps, drop weight a bit, do another 10, then again drop for last 10 reps. Repeat that cycle 3 times.

Bit of a hybrid, but short enough to hammer in over 30 minutes. We could play around rep scheme as weeks go by.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad