Fitness and Nutrition, Rep VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Been back to the gym , my diet is cleaner than it's been in a long long time. I like where this is heading.

I have been do 3 days a week full body which consists of BP, Deadlifts, Squats, OHP, Rows, curls and the 3 days in between doing light cardio/moderate cardio, so far so good. Squatting 3 days a week is the ****, can't believe I stopped doing this for almost 3 years. WTF was wrong with me?

This is my program too, or close to it. Seems like most people who've lifted for a decent number of years tend to do a variation of it.

Props on your discipline with the diet, too. Thats one area where I've been more relaxed. Pretty much given up on being strict there, it takes too much out of me.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Yes I agree with that. I also think PEDs would be much improved if they spent the same amount of money in researching them as they do testing/banning.

It's a complicated can of worms. You'd have to pass the ethics board (doubtful), find competent researchers interest in the topic and get significant funding for something that won't change quality of life/mortality/morbidity outcomes. Basically, the only industries that could have a commercial interest are pharmaceuticals and sports related businesses. And, the only way they'd give funding would be to destigmatize, starting by making them legal.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
The sports purist in me wishes we could eliminate PED use entirely, because I don't think you can just openly make them legal because you're basically telling athletes they have to use in order to be competitive, I prefer if someone wants to be clean they should be able to compete at the top of their sport while doing so, but I readily admit it's likely impossible as the users are almost always ahead of the curve of those testing them therefore the majority don't get caught. I do believe some are clean and at the the top of their respective sport, like GSP, maybe he's full of it, but I don't think so. I don't think DC uses either for example, but then again, I never suspected Silva of using either and he was likely using his entire career. If a **** ton of ballplayers are doping, I think it's safe to say it's rampant in all sports. I just dunno if letting the floodgates open is the right answer though.

Crazy to think Ben Johnson had his gold medal stripped from him and awarded to one of the biggest users in track and field history.
I think that's a naive approach.

There is this belief that PEDs are bad. They are not. They make you better. They help. If you are recovering from cancer or a bad accident, they'll give you some steroids. If you have a bad rash, you put some steroid cream to help clear it.
PEDs are good. Instead of wasting cash unsuccessfully preventing athletes from taking them, put more money on research and start educating the very ignorant public.

Where they become bad is when they're abused, and you can say the same thing about anything.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
It's a complicated can of worms. You'd have to pass the ethics board (doubtful), find competent researchers interest in the topic and get significant funding for something that won't change quality of life/mortality/morbidity outcomes. Basically, the only industries that could have a commercial interest are pharmaceuticals and sports related businesses. And, the only way they'd give funding would be to destigmatize, starting by making them legal.
I'm sure pharma companies would get into it. There would be money to be made as the top creator and producer.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011

There is this belief that PEDs are bad. They are not. They make you better. They help. If you are recovering from cancer or a bad accident, they'll give you some steroids. If you have a bad rash, you put some steroid cream to help clear it.
PEDs are good. Instead of wasting cash unsuccessfully preventing athletes from taking them, put more money on research and start educating the very ignorant public.

Where they become bad is when they're abused, and you can say the same thing about anything.

You're still going to have doping, as a situation where every drug is legal on the Olympics is unlikely.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
There are limitations currently and there has been little problem for those committed to PEDs to evade detection. Why would this change if there were new limitations?
Because they wouldn't have to hide, and as I said, more is not better. So going over the new limits wouldn't mean that the athlete is helping his case.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013

I'll again agree with the general point, but I feel its worth noting that the steroids you're referring to are corticosteroids, meaning cortisone and its analogues. They have quite a different effect in the body than anabolics.

Try taking 50mgs a day of Predisone and see what that does to your sports performance :laugh:

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
I'm sure pharma companies would get into it. There would be money to be made as the top creator and producer.

No doubt. I think all of the major sports teams and even companies like Nike would as well.

One thing I'm wondering is how much genetic doping will change the landscape. Its a major focus in all branches in the wave of personalised medecine and its been around a decade now that some athletes have begun doing it.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary

I don't disagree with the fundamental concept. I disagree that sports will ever be depoliticized to the point where countries won't have systemic networks dedicated for new research to undermine the regulations covertly.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Because they wouldn't have to hide, and as I said, more is not better. So going over the new limits wouldn't mean that the athlete is helping his case.

My point is that unless there is an all encompassing rule that allows any concoction, there will always be those who will circumvent the regulations with drugs or techniques that are not endorsed.

People will always look for ways to cheat.

Reactions: ECWHSWI

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
My point is that unless there is an all encompassing rule that allows any concoction, there will always be those who will circumvent the regulations with drugs or techniques that are not endorsed.

pretty much, cheating is in human nature.
new rules would simply means new cheat codes.

clear as day, new rules, new cheaters and new cheats.
and we don't need to know anything about athletes, peds, etc to know this.
lets not act as if people are learning any lesson from history. Mistakes of the past will be repeated, over and over again.

Reactions: groovejuice

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
You're still going to have doping, as a situation where every drug is legal on the Olympics is unlikely.
Again, this is based on the premise that "more is better". If you start stacking 4-5-6 drugs, you're not necessarily helping yourself.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
No doubt. I think all of the major sports teams and even companies like Nike would as well.

One thing I'm wondering is how much genetic doping will change the landscape. Its a major focus in all branches in the wave of personalised medecine and its been around a decade now that some athletes have begun doing it.
Yes, I think it's a shame we've spent decades demonizing these drugs. To me it is insane how booze and weed are totally cool and fine, but somehow, roids, which have very positive benefits, are poorly viewed.

We should really invest more in those drugs.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I don't disagree with the fundamental concept. I disagree that sports will ever be depoliticized to the point where countries won't have systemic networks dedicated for new research to undermine the regulations covertly.
I never said they will, I said they should.
I don't think they will make PEDs legal, but they definitely should imo.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

Sure, and once PEDs are controlled legally, you can focus on the other ways athletes cheat, because right now, whatever they're doing is not working.

Last edited:

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Kriss E or anyone else who'd like to chime in I would like your opinion thoughts on my routine. Keep in mind I am coming back from being largely out of the game entirely for close to 3 years, during this time I gained weight and gotten out of shape, but I've put together a routine to help me reach a few goals. My goals surround mainly overall general fitness and not becoming a power lifter/body builder in this process, but I would like to go through a body recomp and I also have a 10k race I hope to compete in come september, my goal in that race is rather simple, finish it in under an hour. I don't think they will be an issue at all, but what I am concerned about is the volume and approach I am taking here, whether it is sustainable and if it does start to become too much how will I recognize it.

I like to keep it Monday to Saturday with Rest on Sunday just because it coincides with my work week + Saturday, but am willing to move the rest day to another day of the week if required. Just not really sure how to know if the fatigue I feel sometimes is just normal or a sign of doing too much too soon.

Everyday prior to my workout I have a Dark Roast Timmy's with 1 milk, seems to make my workouts better, could be in my head.

Monday (Heavy day) Wednesday (Medium day) Friday (Light day) All same workouts for now. Keep in mind I intend on throwing in Dips and Chins at a point, but couldn't do one if i wanted atm. I also plan on a day or two of HIIT at some point, but I feel I don't have a cardio base for that atm. Want to establish a 4 week base first.
2o minute light cardio/warmup preworkout (treadmill/stairmaster/rowmachine)
3 x 8 Bench with 2 warmups
2 x 8 squats 2 warmups
2 x 8 bent over row x 2 warmups
2 x 8 overhead press
1 x 8 Deadlift (wanted to be careful here didn't think more volume here 3 times a week would make sense while squatting x 3, willing to adjust if you say it's ok)
2 x 8 Curls
2 x 15 sitting calf raises
10 minute cool down stair master

Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday
Right now I am basically just doing 40 minutes running, although struggling with 40 mins straight, have no worries about getting there as right now I can do 20 stop and walk for 5 and complete the other 15 minutes

Diet
Typical meal day consists of 2 fairly good size chicken salads with spinach/cherry tomatoes/cucumber/nuts(pecan, almond,walnut 1/3rd serving each), 1 boiled egg per salad
2 Eggs and bowl of oatmeal
2 scoops protein shake post workout and once in awhile throw in some raspberries/strawberries. Don't know if I am getting enough calories here, but I don't want to count them either. Also, is 4 eggs everyday fine? Read varying opinions on this, I am of the mind if you are doing everything else right then f*** it, but appreciate the feedback.

I take a multivitamin, omega 3 and protein and that is the extent of my supplementation.

Am I doing too much here or just listen to my body and I'll be fine? So far, I haven't felt this good in years.

Last edited:

Peanut

Alzner is SOLID
Oct 28, 2015
Kriss E or anyone else who'd like to chime in I would like your opinion thoughts on my routine. Keep in mind I am coming back from being largely out of the game entirely for close to 3 years, during this time I gained weight and gotten out of shape, but I've put together a routine to help me reach a few goals. My goals surround mainly overall general fitness and not becoming a power lifter/body builder in this process, but I would like to go through a body recomp and I also have a 10k race I hope to compete in come september, my goal in that race is rather simple, finish it in under an hour. I don't think they will be an issue at all, but what I am concerned about is the volume and approach I am taking here, whether it is sustainable and if it does start to become too much how will I recognize it.

I like to keep it Monday to Saturday with Rest on Sunday just because it coincides with my work week + Saturday, but am willing to move the rest day to another day of the week if required. Just not really sure how to know if the fatigue I feel sometimes is just normal or a sign of doing too much too soon.

Everyday prior to my workout I have a Dark Roast Timmy's with 1 milk, seems to make my workouts better, could be in my head.

Monday (Heavy day) Wednesday (Medium day) Friday (Light day) All same workouts for now. Keep in mind I intend on throwing in Dips and Chins at a point, but couldn't do one if i wanted atm. I also plan on a day or two of HIIT at some point, but I feel I don't have a cardio base for that atm. Want to establish a 4 week base first.
2 x 8 squats 2 warmups
2 x 8 overhead press
1 x 8 Deadlift (wanted to be careful here didn't think more volume here 3 times a week would make sense while squatting x 3, willing to adjust if you say it's ok)
2 x 8 Curls

Right now I am basically just doing 40 minutes running, although struggling with 40 mins straight, have no worries about getting there as right now I can do 20 stop and walk for 5 and complete the other 15 minutes

Diet
Typical meal day consists of 2 fairly good size chicken salads with spinach/cherry tomatoes/cucumber/nuts(pecan, almond,walnut 1/3rd serving each), 1 boiled egg per salad
2 scoops protein shake post workout and once in awhile throw in some raspberries/strawberries. Don't know if I am getting enough calories here, but I don't want to count them either. Also, is 4 eggs everyday fine? Read varying opinions on this, I am of the mind if you are doing everything else right than **** it, but appreciate the feedback.

I take a multivitamin, omega 3 and protein and that is the extent of my supplementation.

Am I doing too much here or just listen to my body and I'll be fine? So far, I haven't felt this good in years.

My thing I like to separate my push and pull days and also like to give my body plenty of time to recover from working out a body part. You are doing all the right big exercises but one day to do all of them sounds like murder and tough to recover in 48 hours.

Myself I have my chest/tri day, Legs day, Back/bi day, Shoulder day, and then Deadlift day. Always starting with the main exercise at the start like Benchpress, Squats, Pullups, Military Press, Deadlifts each day then doing about 6-7 exercises at 4x8 and focuses all about proper technique.

But you know your body and know what works best if you are happy with it and seeing progress keep at it!

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
My thing I like to separate my push and pull days and also like to give my body plenty of time to recover from working out a body part. You are doing all the right big exercises but one day to do all of them sounds like murder and tough to recover in 48 hours.

Myself I have my chest/tri day, Legs day, Back/bi day, Shoulder day, and then Deadlift day. Always starting with the main exercise at the start like Benchpress, Squats, Pullups, Military Press, Deadlifts each day then doing about 6-7 exercises at 4x8 and focuses all about proper technique.

But you know your body and know what works best if you are happy with it and seeing progress keep at it!

The reason I am doing this is because I really want to get my cardio in order to complete the 10km race, so I can't do a 4/5 day split because I need my pure cardio days and I can't/refuse to lift on those days. It's why I throw in a light/medium day and only 1 set of deadlifts to help offset the workload, but I fear it might still be too much. Right now I feel great, but I've only been at this for 10 days. I'll report back after another 10 days and let you know if I had to make any adjustments. Today was the best I've felt in the gym since returning, so I definitely have some positive momentum on my side, I just don't want to overdo it and end up tapping out again. I think I can maintain it though, considering I am doing it now almost completely out of shape, once I get into some heavier weights. I'll likely have to break it up some more.

Going to increase reps until I get to 11 reps then go back to 7 reps and increase weight by 5-10%, rinse and repeat until I feel like this is no longer effective. Thinking maybe I should've have picked a lower rep scheme like 5. Then work my way up to 8 reps and then backdown to 5 up the weight, but for now, going to stick to my 7-11 rep scheme. Will change it up at some point.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
My lower back is absolutely fried right now, dont know what the heck happened in the switching phase but im dead. Good thing I still have a week to go before the intense phase.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

2 x 8 squats 2 warmups
2 x 8 overhead press
2 x 8 Curls

I think you'd be better off doing a strength and conditioning program. For people that have overall fitness as their objectives, that's usually what I go for. They want to improve aesthetics but aren't going for Mr. Speedo or Mrs. Bikini. They care more about having an easier time carrying heavier grocery bags or playing their recreational sports or chasing their kids around, etc.
You will still develop a good body comp through S&C, it's just not the main purpose.

You have a 10K race objective coming up very soon. So I think this is what you should currently be focusing on. I think you're doing too much weitghtlifting and should increase the conditioning aspect.
You should play with higher intensity conditioning as well.

As an example:

A1- Squats 3x8
A2- Pull ups 3xmax
B1- 10 KBS x3
B2- 20 Step Ups x3
B3- 500m Row x3
C- 10 x 100m sprints

That could be a sample day.
I'd have you run outside twice per week for longer durations and we would play around the tasks. Changing intensities, intervals, durations, etc.
S&C for overall fitness is a quite a fair bit more complicated to plan around as we have to look at multiple energy systems and identify the biggest weakenesses/imbalances. For you current situation, it would also be important to look at the running technique.

If the race is not very important and your focus is really more on body comp/overall fitness, you could keep doing the same program, I'd play around rep/rest schemes, and as you move along.
Diet
2 scoops protein shake post workout and once in awhile throw in some raspberries/strawberries. Don't know if I am getting enough calories here, but I don't want to count them either. Also, is 4 eggs everyday fine? Read varying opinions on this, I am of the mind if you are doing everything else right then **** it, but appreciate the feedback.

Tough to know without having more info, having a calorie number would be simpler. Could be fine, or could be undereating.
Eggs are fine imo.

And yes, if you're feeling great, then keep it up. You don't have to change anything if you feel you are getting the results you're seeking.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
I think you'd be better off doing a strength and conditioning program. For people that have overall fitness as their objectives, that's usually what I go for. They want to improve aesthetics but aren't going for Mr. Speedo or Mrs. Bikini. They care more about having an easier time carrying heavier grocery bags or playing their recreational sports or chasing their kids around, etc.
You will still develop a good body comp through S&C, it's just not the main purpose.

You have a 10K race objective coming up very soon. So I think this is what you should currently be focusing on. I think you're doing too much weitghtlifting and should increase the conditioning aspect.
You should play with higher intensity conditioning as well.

As an example:

A1- Squats 3x8
A2- Pull ups 3xmax
B1- 10 KBS x3
B2- 20 Step Ups x3
B3- 500m Row x3
C- 10 x 100m sprints

That could be a sample day.
I'd have you run outside twice per week for longer durations and we would play around the tasks. Changing intensities, intervals, durations, etc.
S&C for overall fitness is a quite a fair bit more complicated to plan around as we have to look at multiple energy systems and identify the biggest weakenesses/imbalances. For you current situation, it would also be important to look at the running technique.

If the race is not very important and your focus is really more on body comp/overall fitness, you could keep doing the same program, I'd play around rep/rest schemes, and as you move along.

Tough to know without having more info, having a calorie number would be simpler. Could be fine, or could be undereating.
Eggs are fine imo.

And yes, if you're feeling great, then keep it up. You don't have to change anything if you feel you are getting the results you're seeking.

Thanks Kriss E appreciate it. Diet seems fine so far. I think I have some room for some play here to add or subtract, I am down 5.3 lbs in 12 days. Much of it is water weight, but I am still happy with where I am heading.

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
Can anyone recommend a good protein powder/drink supplement?

What are you looking for in your protein powder? Do you want just proteins or calories also? If you only want proteins go for the plain egg whey cheap bucket, if you are looking into those mass gainer calories/creatine type I wouldn't know.

Protein supplement are not as good as eating the eggs themselves, but they are very practical.

Reactions: groovejuice
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad