Fitness and Nutrition, Rep VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
People are also spending lots of money on urban farming. I guess growing food on farms is also not sustainable.

And for the record even when there is lab grown meat lots of people would still want "real" meat just like people want "organic" stuff.

Urban farming's a hobby a found last year.

It's a treat to do and the food quality is tough to beat.

I ended up with 15-25lbs of tomatoes from each of my 6 plants. This year, I have to give out english cucumbers every day because I'm overproducing. Once my onions are ripe, I guess I won't buy any vegetables from the groceries for a few weeks.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
The moment it becomes cheaper than factory farmed meat every fast food chain on the planet will switch to it, I have little doubt of that. And it really isn't that far off.
The idea of having lab meat isn't to eliminate farming entirely. It's to reduce the overproduction.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
The idea of having lab meat isn't to eliminate farming entirely. It's to reduce the overproduction.
I really don't doubt that. But I believe factory farming represents over 90% of the worlds farmed meat, and the moment lab meat becomes cheaper, it'll replace all that meat. The other 10% at that point will be luxury meat.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Thats fine and all when you look at calories only. There's a reason why people don't eat like cattle though.
When talking about feeding starving people why wouldn't we look at calories only lol

Cattle vast majority of cattle eat soy, corn, and grains. All good foods we could eat.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Because we could discuss poultry as well? Also, how come you didn't call out Mrp1 for his "bias" for bringing up rice when that isn't even less relevant to a protein vs protein discussion?

You mean when he showed a graph containing soybeans, beans, peas, wheat, maize, rice, potatoes, cauliflower?

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Choosing to eat meat that kills animals and harms the planet when there is a genetically identical alternative would be selfish, yes.

And using that logic doing anything except committing suicide is selfish since your very existence harms the planet.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
You mean when he showed a graph containing soybeans, beans, peas, wheat, maize, rice, potatoes, cauliflower?
The post that started this discussion was this:

But youre going to need a **** load of it to hit your macros or even your EAA requirements.

And were back to square one, using more land mass than beef or chicken with peas or rice, or lacking EAA's and getting poor liver protein synthesis.

FIRE IN THE HOLE. I just sparked the vegan fire.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Implying everybody is starving, implying people starving couldn't be fed with the overconsumption... implying a lot of crap I must say..
We're talking sustainability for a growing population are we not? How are you dismissing the fact we could feed 8.7 billion people with the food we are feeding cows?

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
We're talking sustainability for a growing population are we not? How are you dismissing the fact we could feed 8.7 billion people with the food we are feeding cows?
Every scientific study ever agrees that the population is not sustainable, unless we all start living kumbaya-butt-naked-grass-eating-living in hutts (Then that will decrease population.) Keep fighting the bad fight.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Why isn't this appropriate as a thread ?
1. In the many iterations of this thread, this discussion never ends well. Been there done that.
2. That discussion winds up hijacking the rest of the discussion in this thread.
3. I'm tired of consistently banning the same people for fighting over this.

Move onto something else.

Reactions: Son Oncle Jerry

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Take the vegan discussion somewhere else.

At your request, I will not discuss the ethics and environmental issues associated with food consumption.

I will still compare different protein sources though, and that sort of thing.

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
Choosing to eat meat that kills animals and harms the planet when there is a genetically identical alternative would be selfish, yes.

Lab-grown meat will not grow out of thin air, a bunch of chemicals and nutrients will still be used to produce that meat... I'm pretty sure pasture raised and organic cattle isn't more harmful for the environment than whatever process will be required for lab-grown.

[taking out moral comment in accordance to new thread rule]

Reactions: Mrb1p
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad