Fitness and Nutrition, Rep VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
But youre going to need a **** load of it to hit your macros or even your EAA requirements.

And were back to square one, using more land mass than beef or chicken with peas or rice, or lacking EAA's and getting poor liver protein synthesis.

FIRE IN THE HOLE. I just sparked the vegan fire.
Brah your numbers are non existent.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Brah your numbers are non existent.
My numbers ?

srep26074-f2.jpg

Essential amino acids: master regulators of nutrition and environmental footprint?

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Last edited:

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
1 cup of oats has 26.4 grams of protein and 607 calories. To get up to 100 grams of protein a day, you'd need to eat 2300 calories a day. Both are reasonable numbers.

I'd say that oats are a protein-neutral good. Adding oats to your diet this neither makes it easier for harder to reach a protein goal within reasonable calorie needs.

But neutral foods are good foods, as you need to eat.

With 4x the amount of Carbs vs Pro. You are talking bland oats here, which taste like crap. You'd have to at least add a bit of fruits and cinnanom, raising the carbs intake a bit. If you add maple syrup like many do, then that will spike it real high.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
With 4x the amount of Carbs vs Pro. You are talking bland oats here, which taste like crap. You'd have to at least add a bit of fruits and cinnanom, raising the carbs intake a bit. If you add maple syrup like many do, then that will spike it real high.
Oats are just one example as a food that has protein. I put 2/3 cup of oats in my smoothie for example, I don't live off the damn things.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Absolutely. I hit 150g per day without trying, can get up to 200 quite easily too.
I wouldn't say it's easy, at all. The norm has a tough time hitting 100g of proteins.
Fruits and cereals or toasts in the morning.
Chicken with veggies for lunch.
Pasta for dinner.
Snack consisting of chips, cookies, veggies, fruits, nuts.

I'd say this represents how most people eat pretty often. They're not hitting 100g of proteins.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I can make the plot tomorrow. What's the request:

Grams of each essential amino acid per 100 calories for beef, chicken breast, yogurt, oats, soy, and green peas?

Could be useful to actually see.

Reactions: DramaticGloveSave

habsfan909

Feb 20, 2018
What's your favorite cheat meal and at which frequency do you take one?

I like to take one per week and my go-to place is generally A&W or McDonald's
It's funny if I'm not watching what I eat (but still healthy) I never want McD's. As soon as I start cutting like I am now, I crave it all the time. I try to fit it into my daily macros if I really need it - I'm pretty strong into 90/10 as long as it fits the daily macros it's not a real cheat (that will cut your fat loss).

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I can make the plot tomorrow. What's the request:

Grams of each essential amino acid per 100 calories for beef, chicken breast, yogurt, oats, soy, and green peas?

Could be useful to actually see.
In regards to land use? That'll be tough to do I imagine.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
It's funny if I'm not watching what I eat (but still healthy) I never want McD's. As soon as I start cutting like I am now, I crave it all the time. I try to fit it into my daily macros if I really need it - I'm pretty strong into 90/10 as long as it fits the daily macros it's not a real cheat (that will cut your fat loss).
Classic. You want what you can't have.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
In regards to land use? That'll be tough to do I imagine.
For each essential amino acids ya, but as a whole, isn't that what Mr1's quoted study is about?
"In conclusion, our data show that the concept of the “environmental footprint” associated to the production of animal vs. vegetal protein-containing food products, needs to be re-evaluated on the basis of the content of essential amino acids in foods. The production of protein-containing animal foods would retain a (much) lower environmental impact than that previously estimated, approximately lying within the range of that of most foods of vegetal origin, because of the higher quality of animal proteins. These considerations might be useful in the political planning of the food production system, aiming at providing sufficient food for humans in the near future."

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
For each essential amino acids ya, but as a whole, isn't that what Mr1's quoted study is about?
"In conclusion, our data show that the concept of the “environmental footprint” associated to the production of animal vs. vegetal protein-containing food products, needs to be re-evaluated on the basis of the content of essential amino acids in foods. The production of protein-containing animal foods would retain a (much) lower environmental impact than that previously estimated, approximately lying within the range of that of most foods of vegetal origin, because of the higher quality of animal proteins. These considerations might be useful in the political planning of the food production system, aiming at providing sufficient food for humans in the near future."
Well I don't know how someone would really be able to calculate that accurately, but on a land use per gram of protein basis, it's quite clear that beef requires way more land/water/CO2 than pulses....

Our World in Data is a great site for such information, and you can see just how much more land use is required per gram of protein here: Land use per gram of protein, by food type

Screen Shot 2018-07-24 at 10.09.23 AM.png

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Sure it's more efficient to get your protein from say eggs than lettuce, but that's a silly discussion, noone is replacing their eggs with lettuce. Folks replace their protein with protein, it's generally pulses/beans, and as we can see it is just a ridiculously more efficient protein source from an environmental perspective (and healthier).

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Sure it's more efficient to get your protein from say eggs than lettuce, but that's a silly discussion, noone is replacing their eggs with lettuce. Folks replace their protein with protein, it's generally pulses/beans, and as we can see it is just a ridiculously more efficient protein source from an environmental perspective (and healthier).
You havent even checked the study I linked :laugh:

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
You havent even checked the study I linked :laugh:
While you've completely dismantled the data I posted....

And I did, and I already addressed it with the comment:

But the real comp should be between soy and beef since soy is what they are actually feeding the cows and thus the food we could be eating ourselves instead. It's not like people are replacing beef in their diets with rice either.

And clearly Soy pwned everything easily in every capacity.

Last edited:

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
While you've completely dismantled the data I posted....

And I did, and I already addressed it with the comment:

And clearly Soy pwned everything easily in every capacity.
Soy is pretty good, I agree, but soy requires transformation that brings it to meh levels too.

I'll say it again, unless youre sourcing locally, you are not doing enough no matter what you eat.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Land use per gram of protein, by food type

land-use-per-gram-of-protein-by-food-type

Also Pulses (soy, lentils, chickpeas etc) require 5 gallons of water per gram of protein. Beef? 30 gallons.

Looking strictly and m² is a fairly meaningless measure when talking about environmental impact. For example the CO2 produced is much more important then acreage used and for sure beef is way ahead everything else in that category. But on the flip side having a plowed field for growing crops vs a field for grazing field will increase soil erosion, so that's a plus for having animals. You'd also have to factor in things like where farms will get their fertilizers if the availability of cow manure was drastically reduced, how increased pesticide use would impact the environment, etc...

There's a lot more complexity to it then looking at a couple charts and saying this is better then that.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Looking strictly and m² is a fairly meaningless measure when talking about environmental impact. For example the CO2 produced is much more important then acreage used and for sure beef is way ahead everything else in that category. But on the flip side having a plowed field for growing crops vs a field for grazing field will increase soil erosion, so that's a plus for having animals. You'd also have to factor in things like where farms will get their fertilizers if the availability of cow manure was drastically reduced, how increased pesticide use would impact the environment, etc...

There's a lot more complexity to it then looking at a couple charts and saying this is better then that.
It all matters, the space used to grow could be used for something else too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad