Salary Cap: First time in 112 years with no Québec player in lineup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
The media should go f... themselves. They need to start putting some pressure on these Quebec born players to start saying they want to come and win a cup in Montreal and give us a hometown discount. Guys like Huberdeau for example. When has that ever happened. Maybe at the end of their career or when they are trying to get more money from a US based team they use Montreal to ip the ante. I just don’t understand why we don’t attract stars. Come play in Montreal and do well snd you’re a hero for life.

They won't ever do that, because they wouldn't want to jeopardize the few interviews they give them every time they come around the BC.

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
Local players are always in demand in traditionnal markets, in all sports, everywhere. Only here is it "racist" and "xenophobic" to have local staff. French media is way over the top on this, but there is also a ton of hypocritical fans who can't accept the french legacy this team has.
Teams that play to the local BS suffer. Has the French management of this team over the past 25 years not taught you anything. We suck because of it.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
Local players are always in demand in traditionnal markets, in all sports, everywhere. Only here is it "racist" and "xenophobic" to have local staff. French media is way over the top on this, but there is also a ton of hypocritical fans who can't accept the french legacy this team has.

It's racist and xenophobic when it gets to the "we have to have a Francophone _____" no matter the circumstances level, which is what we supposed hypocrites are saying...we all can still honor the legacy of this team and how important a cultural icon it is in the Franco-Quebec market without this politically charged BS...the NHL is a global business now and Quebecois talent is scattered all over the League at every level; it's not the 40's or 50's anymore where a French-speaking person either makes it with the Habs or doesn't make it at all...there isn't the discrimination against Franco-Quebecers that there unfortunately once was in this business...the World has finally started making positive change towards all peoples being equal and just that, people...is it a good thing to have local talent; absolutely and it should be encouraged, not mandated...

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Only Drouin, Huberdeau and Dubois couldn't have been drafted since they were lottery picks.

Habs could have moved up to draft Mantha, same for Girard, they actually traded away two picks they could have used on Girard to acquire Shaw.

They could have signed Phillippe Myers (who's an Acadien).

Gaudette is American FYI ;)

We don't know if they could have move up, most team don't trade down their 1st round pick so that's highly unlikely.
You can't blame an organization while not even knowing if it was a possibility.

At the time they traded the pick for Shaw, they didn't know who were available at that rank. The move was made before.....it's like saying you are mad right now that we give up a pick for Staal that might turn a home quebecers. If we start thinking like that, you'll handcuffed this organization even more

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

expy

Nov 2, 2010
It's racist and xenophobic when it gets to the "we have to have a Francophone _____" no matter the circumstances level, which is what we supposed hypocrites are saying...we all can still honor the legacy of this team and how important a cultural icon it is in the Franco-Quebec market without this politically charged BS...the NHL is a global business now and Quebecois talent is scattered all over the League at every level; it's not the 40's or 50's anymore where a French-speaking person either makes it with the Habs or doesn't make it at all...there isn't the discrimination against Franco-Quebecers that there unfortunately once was in this business...the World has finally started making positive change towards all peoples being equal and just that, people...is it a good thing to have local talent; absolutely and it should be encouraged, not mandated...
The only time you should select local talent is if everything else is equal on the hockey front. And that’s never the case. You should always take the best available talent.

We’ve already set our team back due to a “hometown” transaction (Drouin).

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
We don't know if they could have move up, most team don't trade down their 1st round pick so that's highly unlikely.
You can't blame an organization while not even knowing if it was a possibility.

At the time they traded the pick for Shaw, they didn't know who were available at that rank. The move was made before.....it's like saying you are mad right now that we give up a pick for Staal that might turn a home quebecers. If we start thinking like that, you'll handcuffed this organization even more

But I am mad that we gave up a 3rd (and a 5th) for The Ghost of Staalsy Past...does that make me a bad person??...cuz I am, I just want to know if that seals the deal, so to speak...

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
We probably need 10 more years of misery. First, fire Timmins (I won't care) And give those guys a FRENCH head scout. So he'll PROBABLY draft more Quebecers, it might not amount to anything, and then we will be able to move on. Unfortunately, tons of journalists who keep whining about it didn't seem to remember that in the Réjean Houle era, we had plenty of francos. Strangely, we put the fact that Drouin crumbled under pressure 'cause he was amongst the only quebecers in the team....and yet....Patrice Brisebois was booed every game in a NON-INTERNET era, and wanted out while we had about 8-10 Quebecers in the lineup.

My point isn't to privilege language as far as players are concerned. BUT it's clear that Timmins and Bergie couldn'T care less about the Q. And in an era where NOBODY wants to come here for various reasons, you do NOT have the luxury to NOT care about any league as small or as unproductive you think it is.

I don't know how good they'll end up being, but it's not normal that you are not the first to offer a NHL contract to Barré-Boulet. Not normal to prefer Vejdemo to Roy. Not normal that you have a Comtois who is sliding to 50, you have 2 picks behind and don't seem (we don't know for sure) to have made an effort to go and pick him. Not normal to have come with the obscure Fischer instead of the well know talent that is Giroux. A Fischer who, to this day, might have had the worst shot out of every single prospect I've seen in a development camps. And if it's at the development camp, you KNOW that it was the case when they saw him.

So it's not about HAVING to GET Quebecers. It's about being real pros and REALLY left NO stone unturned. Every freakin league seems more scouted that the Q. It's insane. And NO, the fact that there are less players coming out of this league is irrelevant. You have between 7-10 picks. If your great scouting makes you pick 1 great Quebecer. Well no matter if there's only 20 that gets out of this league...you still need that ONE that could change your team.

Reactions: Yarice and Kimota

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
People have to realize it’s not just a language thing. Quebec was in a dark period before the 1960s and transformed into a social democracy - the idea that the people of Quebec will have more common ownership and have institutions that are uniquely Québécois. There was a strong shared common interest. It’s really shifted recently when a lot of these Quebec companies are being sold to American conglomerates. Even government run programs like health and education that were once a source of pride in comparison to the rest of the world have been stripped down.

You have an organization like the Canadiens which is loved by rich and poor, women and men, French and English, with a huge cultural significance in the province. Now it’s falling by the wayside, becoming just another team, caring only about money, no allure anymore.

I get the frustration. I’m not saying it’s right. I want a winning team more than anything. But when you don’t even have that and at the same time take away its socio-political and cultural significance, you can understand why some people are upset. It’s like a microcosm of what’s been happening in Quebec since the 2000s.

Since the 2000s? It’s happened way before that and has downspiraled since all the head offices and significant wealth left the city. But, I digress.

Immigrants and people from a multitude of cultural heritages are also rabid Hab fans. It’s as if they don’t exist — the third solitude is so marginalized that it doesn’t even get a mention.

No, it’s not just a language thing — for some it’s an identity thing. I still remember when Stéphane Leroux’s definition of a Quebecker was someone with French bloodlines — he’s softened his stance over the years but there are still lots of dinosaurs who think and communicate publicly like he used to and who want the Habs to be a conduit for their arcane and very narrow vision.

I’m afraid it’s not so black and white — there are a myriad of layers, that drive this into the political realm — which is a matter for some other forum based on this forum’s practices.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
The only time you should select local talent is if everything else is equal on the hockey front. And that’s never the case. You should always take the best available talent.

We’ve already set our team back due to a “hometown” transaction (Drouin).
Louis Leblanc was also a huge mistake...........all because of media pressure in our year 100

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
But I am mad that we gave up a 3rd (and a 5th) for The Ghost of Staalsy Past...does that make me a bad person??...cuz I am, I just want to know if that seals the deal, so to speak...

Me too....but I'm not whining about losing the picks.....whoever they would have is probably a bust as usual anyway.

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
The media have been making money since the days where the team would go to the 2nd or 3rd round of the playoffs (and generate lots of interest), but they're only making money IMO because of two demographics that A) watch a lot of non-game TV about the Habs and B) make up the 1000+ talkbacks on RDS after games, garnering ad money for RDS.

The very old hardcore fan who grew up watching Cups, and the very young fan who either wants to follow daddy's team OR watch it with the old hardcore fan --> grandpa.

You lose the old Canadien Français aspect, you might lose the old man. From there it unravels into the media's bottom line, and heads would roll. Less money to go around.

It's all rooted in greed. The media for holding Molson to francos, and Molson for holding on to a ****ing clown he sees as perfect PR model for all generations of fans. Sickening.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Media idiots bitching that there are no Quebecois on the habs. The only reason Drouin isn't playing is because he couldn't deal with the stress from these terrible people and he's home trying to get his head straight.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Media idiots bitching that there are no Quebecois on the habs. The only reason Drouin isn't playing is because he couldn't deal with the stress from these terrible people and he's home trying to get his head straight.

Classic. Quebec mediots are complaining about a situation they are themselves contributing to create in a lot of instances.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Since the 2000s? It’s happened way before that and has downspiraled since all the head offices and significant wealth left the city. But, I digress.

Immigrants and people from a multitude of cultural heritages are also rabid Hab fans. It’s as if they don’t exist — the third solitude is so marginalized that it doesn’t even get a mention.

No, it’s not just a language thing — for some it’s an identity thing. I still remember when Stéphane Leroux’s definition of a Quebecker was someone with French bloodlines — he’s softened his stance over the years but there are still lots of dinosaurs who think and communicate publicly like he used to and who want the Habs to be a conduit for their arcane and very narrow vision.

I’m afraid it’s not so black and white — there are a myriad of layers, that drive this into the political realm — which is a matter for some other forum based on this forum’s practices.

I know non-white people who were very unhappy Subban was traded, especially after Therrien's fairly racist comments and the team's attitude. The "play the white way" stuff. Lots of people want to be able to identify with at least some of the players, or just the one in this case.

Reactions: Runner77

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
The Habs have done a lousy job scouting the Québec market.
I would say. Boisvert and audette need to leave. There is no reason to keep guy withtout a big influence in a scout amateur group. Espacially those from Quebec part. Thats a non sense

Reactions: dcyhabs

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
And there’s a strong possibility that next season there will be no quebec born players on the team if Drouin is traded and Danault hits UFA.

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
And there’s a strong possibility that next season there will be no quebec born players on the team if Drouin is traded and Danault hits UFA.

Cool by me.

The true fans know there's always an outside chance of Belzile or RHP playing on the 4th line, the true fans know there's an outside chance Bergevin could try to deal for Beauvillier since NYI cap situation for next year is an absolute mess, and the true fans recognize it's not the same drafting/playing field as it was in the 40's -->-->--> 80's both in terms of NHL teams and international drafting.

Fefans who only watch the Habs because "Yay I relate to francos on the team, so I can watch this with my buddy/relative and talk about it!" would have nothing to chew on. And that should be fine. No one should mount an insurrection at the Bell trying to Make the Habs French Again.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Well the habs should be encouraging hockey in the province, and they should be scouting local talent and searching for undrafted Quebecois players. They should not overpay for people, as they did for Drouin, they should scout better and find value.

MakeTheGoalsLarger

Dec 9, 2011
Antarctica

The media didn't spend much time berating Drouin.....unless you're talking about social media like this site for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad