Salary Cap: First time in 112 years with no Québec player in lineup

Status
Not open for further replies.

OldCraig71

Juice Arse
Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Here's a conspiracy theory for y'all. If Molson was considering firing MB then what about now? Look at the outcry because the Habs didn't dress a local player in the lineup, MB is no fool, he might survive based on this alone. Phil Danault will be re-signed and have his rightful place on the first line, KK probably gets the boot(see his place in the lineup in the playoffs for cues) and the big happy family rolls on.

marc-bergevin-chicago-blackhawks-e1335963882541.jpg

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Phil Parent

Sorel, 'fant d'chienne!
Feb 4, 2005
Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
The media is trying to stir up crap but most people don't care and that eats the press alive because that used to be such an easy way to get sales and or clicks. In reality, that press shows a lot more disdain for the people by making this something that should be important to them than the Canadiens did by having a third of the team, including our local boys, on the DL.

The People have moved away from representation on a hockey team being meaningful, culturally. Back in the days of The Rocket, people won through him because most Francophones had very little hope of ever winning themselves. In 2021, Quebecers have succeeded in all walks of life and with enough hard work and talent, can hope to become success stories of their own without having to live vicariously through hockey players.

The world has changed. Quebec has changed. French Quebecers have changed and the Montreal Canadiens can't be made to play a cultural role it no longer needs to play.

I was panned the first two times I said this, but let me repeat it again: You can respect the contributions of Aurele Joliat, and Maurice Richard, and Jean Beliveau, and Guy Lafleur, but there comes a time when that era is dead! This is no longer the Flying Frenchmen! It's 1 team out of 32 playing an international sport, and because of sociocultural changes in our province, we no longer contribute like a quarter of the players in the league. And looking at what happened to Richer, Brisebois, Desharnais and Drouin, would YOU f***ing want to be Quebecois While A Hab?!

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I don’t want anyone to take this the wrong way, as I have been very clear that it’d be great to have more local talent on the team...

It’s one or two games, out of 112 years. I think life will go on.
No one should take that the wrong way..........common sense makes good sense!!!
As an english fan of the Habs, I miss the days of Lemaire, Lafleur Savard, Cournoyer etc but I have never once in my life had an issue with adding a french player, a Russian, or American, or Swedish etc I just wanted good players, so the team would keep winning!!!!! Yes winning!!!!
Maybe it's easy to feel that way, living in Nova Scotia, and not in Quebec, but man this is a hockey team, and other organizatiions have left us in the dust! Our biggest deal is now, all the Cups we USED to win........and that's sad for all of our current fanbase.
I get the we want some locals, but seriously guys, we need to win!! If it means we have 5 francophone players or none...we just need to Win!!!
We have had ZERO success pandering to an old school media, and fanbase with an antiquated point of view.
So, as we enter the playoffs here, maybe we should all get on the same page, and get behind the entire team, as we really know whether an english, french or finnish kid scores the winning goal in OT vs the leafs, it just doesn't matter.
What does matter, is that....................................We Win!!! Winning has to trump it all.

Reactions: sandviper

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
It’s not quite accurate that the Habs didn’t have a Quebecor playing. Marc Joannette dressed.

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
I just don’t get the « pressure » as a fact that no french quebecers want to play here. I mean, every players are saying : « im not looking of NHL standings, im not reading newspapers, im not listening the radio, I don’t have Facebook.. ». Then. Where do you find this « extra » pressure in Montreal if you don’t do this? There is no people in the stand during a game., and you feel a pressure? Lol

Reactions: lo striver

kgboomer

Nov 12, 2014
And meanwhile at ESPN, they're going nuts because Tampa had 3 black players on the same line. And they're talking that the NHL should be pushed to have black players on their teams. That's one of the new broadcaster for the NHL by the way.

ydnarhabs

Jan 10, 2012
Tilbury, Ontario
The media is trying to stir up crap but most people don't care and that eats the press alive because that used to be such an easy way to get sales and or clicks. In reality, that press shows a lot more disdain for the people by making this something that should be important to them than the Canadiens did by having a third of the team, including our local boys, on the DL.

The People have moved away from representation on a hockey team being meaningful, culturally. Back in the days of The Rocket, people won through him because most Francophones had very little hope of ever winning themselves. In 2021, Quebecers have succeeded in all walks of life and with enough hard work and talent, can hope to become success stories of their own without having to live vicariously through hockey players.

The world has changed. Quebec has changed. French Quebecers have changed and the Montreal Canadiens can't be made to play a cultural role it no longer needs to play.

I was panned the first two times I said this, but let me repeat it again: You can respect the contributions of Aurele Joliat, and Maurice Richard, and Jean Beliveau, and Guy Lafleur, but there comes a time when that era is dead! This is no longer the Flying Frenchmen! It's 1 team out of 32 playing an international sport, and because of sociocultural changes in our province, we no longer contribute like a quarter of the players in the league. And looking at what happened to Richer, Brisebois, Desharnais and Drouin, would YOU f***ing want to be Quebecois While A Hab?!
The media should go f... themselves. They need to start putting some pressure on these Quebec born players to start saying they want to come and win a cup in Montreal and give us a hometown discount. Guys like Huberdeau for example. When has that ever happened. Maybe at the end of their career or when they are trying to get more money from a US based team they use Montreal to ip the ante. I just don’t understand why we don’t attract stars. Come play in Montreal and do well snd you’re a hero for life.

Pat Riot

Sep 30, 2017
Also, there's no excuse why we didn't give a chance to Barré-Boulet, Gourde, Marchessault, etc. Those all went undrafted.

those are the type of players im thinking about. I think it would be better for the team to ice a 4th line of quebecers for various reasons. First a part of their fans want to cheers for players from quebec. Its gives food to the media and normally they are all well loved by them because they work hard. Plus i wont change my opinion on that, players from quebec bring more pride in their play because of the sweater and the meaning.

would I play a french canadian before a better player. I would never do that, winning is the main goal and I couldnt care less about nationality of the players if they bring the cup. But yeah I really feel we would be a better team with a 4th line or quebecers

hvac412

Apr 15, 2013
And meanwhile at ESPN, they're going nuts because Tampa had 3 black players on the same line. And they're talking that the NHL should be pushed to have black players on their teams. That's one of the new broadcaster for the NHL by the way.
Oh gee what a shocker,ESPN playing the race card.

Reactions: GordonGraham

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
The Habs have done a lousy job scouting the Québec market.

Maybe that's because Quebec has become a lousy market too.....

Here's a list of Quebec players drafted from 2010 to 2018 and made it as regular in the NHL.
Those with a * were drafted at a position that made it impossible for the Habs to draft them

Cedric Paquette
*Jonathan Drouin
*Anthony Mantha
William Carrier
Anthony Duclair
Sammy Blais
*Thomas Chabot
Anthony Beauvillier
Adam Gaudette
*PL Dubois
*Samuel Girard
*Jonathan Huberdeau
Phillip Danault
Jean- Gabriel Pageau

That's it, that's all.

Habs managed to get 2 of them and were ready to give up Subban to get Dubois.....
None of the players that we could have drafted would made one inch of difference on the Habs.

Last edited:

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Here's a conspiracy theory for y'all. If Molson was considering firing MB then what about now? Look at the outcry because the Habs didn't dress a local player in the lineup, MB is no fool, he might survive based on this alone. Phil Danault will be re-signed and have his rightful place on the first line, KK probably gets the boot(see his place in the lineup in the playoffs for cues) and the big happy family rolls on.

marc-bergevin-chicago-blackhawks-e1335963882541.jpg
Easy there big fella...

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019

Here's a list of Quebec players drafted from 2010 and 2018 and made it as regular in the NHL.
Those with a * were drafted at a position that made it impossible for the Habs to draft them

Cedric Paquette
*Jonathan Drouin
*Anthony Mantha
William Carrier
Anthony Duclair
Sammy Blais
*Thomas Chabot
Anthony Beauvillier
Adam Gaudette
*PL Dubois
*Samuel Girard
*Jonathan Huberdeau
Phillip Danault
Jean- Gabriel Pageau

That's it, that's all.

Habs managed to get 2 of them and were ready to give up Subban to get Dubois.....
None of the players that we could have drafted would made one inch of difference on the Habs.
Pffffttt...you and your need to provide facts!

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
That's on the LHJMQ for not producing more talent.

Its a real shame because the Q used to be a major talent farm.

Funny how just two years ago there was a highly publicized expose on the state of Hockey in La Belle Province and as you know it wasn’t flattering. I guess Legault missed that one.

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec

Here's a list of Quebec players drafted from 2010 to 2018 and made it as regular in the NHL.

Cedric Paquette
*Jonathan Drouin
*Anthony Mantha
William Carrier
Anthony Duclair
Sammy Blais
*Thomas Chabot
Anthony Beauvillier
Adam Gaudette
*PL Dubois
*Samuel Girard
*Jonathan Huberdeau
Phillip Danault
Jean- Gabriel Pageau

That's it, that's all.

Only Drouin, Huberdeau and Dubois couldn't have been drafted since they were lottery picks.

Habs could have moved up to draft Mantha, same for Girard, they actually traded away two picks they could have used on Girard to acquire Shaw.

They could have signed Phillippe Myers (who's an Acadien).

Gaudette is American FYI ;)

Last edited:

THE HOFF

Sep 26, 2007
Local players are always in demand in traditionnal markets, in all sports, everywhere. Only here is it "racist" and "xenophobic" to have local staff. French media is way over the top on this, but there is also a ton of hypocritical fans who can't accept the french legacy this team has.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
Why don't the Canadiens have any First Nations Quebecers on the team??...I think it's shameful and oppressive to all First Nations Quebecois that the Montreal Canadiens have purposefully ignored and neglected them when drafting!!...I mean, they rightfully own over 2/3rds of the land (and technically should still own all of it in North America as a whole), so their lack of representation in this Organization is unacceptable!!...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad