Salary Cap: First time in 112 years with no Québec player in lineup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
The whining about the lack of francophones is not only exaggerated, it's totally unjustified, given those who are pointing out the 'crime' are forgetting about Danault and Drouin.
It's flat out embarrassing

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
The whining about the lack of francophones is not only exaggerated, it's totally unjustified, given those who are pointing out the 'crime' are forgetting about Danault and Drouin.

This has been my war since 2010. I get what the medias are doing and why they are doing it.
It's not unjustified, it's preemptive. This is how they always worked it......

The medias are seeing as we do that Drouin might have played his last game with the Habs
They also see the Danault might not be back next year too (and they just gave his agent tools to negotiate more money)

What will happen if both of them are out?
No Quebecers on the team......now with this shit storm for one freaking game, they just back the organization into corner.
They are now basically force to sign Danault or get another Quebec boy no matter what and at any cost.
That's how the medias has been controlling this organization for years now.

Medias are the biggest problem of this organization.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
This has been my war since 2010. I get what the medias are doing and why they are doing it.

The medias are seeing as we do that Drouin might have played his last game with the Habs
They also see the Danault might not be back next year too (and they just gave his agent tools to negotiate more money)

No Quebecers on the team......now with this shit storm for one freaking game, they just back the organization into corner.
They are now basically force to sign Danault or get another Quebec boy no matter what and at any cost.

Well, Mol$on is also a huge problem....
But agreed, the media in Montreal has caused serious issues....Rinse and Repeat...

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
In case you only follow the Habs, look how many Quebecers there is in Laval....they are doing what you want.
Alain, Teasdale, Bisson, Amorosa, Veilleux, Dauphin just to name a few.
They invite tons of them, they'll even add a team in Trois-Rivieres that will help.

It's not their fault if they suck. They'll keep doing it as they've been doing but they can't have them all cause if one is good, other teams will be after them.

They gave a contract to Barré-Boulet and he decline and prefered to go with Tampa and I could understand why.
Habs is not a good organization anymore and the weather, medias, taxes are all negative for these kids. I mean if I told you between living here or New York, I bet 80% of them will choose NY.

FYI, I am very aware that the team has a bunch of Quebeckers, but no high profile players, unfortunately. They have been inviting more locals since Bouchard joined. But there's room for improvement.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
FYI, I am very aware that the team has a bunch of Quebeckers, but no high profile players, unfortunately. They have been inviting more locals since Bouchard joined. But there's room for improvement.

It's not really true, they had tons of them when they were in St-John too while they were with Lefebvre....for example in 2015 they played 12 players from QC, exactly the same numbers with the Hamilton Bulldogs in 2012.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013

This is the one advantage that getting someone like Roy would have. If Roy stands up to the media the fans are way more likely to back him and his stance and as a result the media would be the ones to cave. This is especially given the prevalence of social media where it's never been easier then ever for the Organization to basically skip over the media and talk directly to the fans.

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
It's not really true, they had tons of them when they were in St-John too while they were with Lefebvre....for example in 2015 they played 12 players from QC, exactly the same numbers with the Hamilton Bulldogs in 2012.

How many players were used in 2015 and in 2012? 51-52? That's one out of 4. Right now the Rocket has ~ 1 out of 3 players that are locals.

Dark714

Oct 13, 2017
Talk to any olived-skin who lives in France and they'll tell you exactly that.

My GF was born there and can personally attest to that. Her entire family fir that matter. Their police is on par with the US when it comes to racism.

So it's racist to call out a racist country, or were you joking?
A minority. I've had plenty of franco GFs in the last two decades. They all wanted VF when watching a show or movie.

I'd consider getting a more scientific sample for your assertions than girlfriends.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
This is the one advantage that getting someone like Roy would have. If Roy stands up to the media the fans are way more likely to back him and his stance and as a result the media would be the ones to cave. This is especially given the prevalence of social media where it's never been easier then ever for the Organization to basically skip over the media and talk directly to the fans.
I think Roy would be looking to add francophones not subtract. I agree that he likely carries that kind of clout, but I think the opposite of what you hope for would actually happen.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010

I don't agree.....just putting Roy there will make them even stronger cause that's because of them he would be the GM.
Patrick Roy knows that, he's been pushing his own name through them lately because of that and it's working.

Unless if Roy goes full Trump on them....then maybe but I doubt it.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
How many players were used in 2015 and in 2012? 51-52? That's one out of 4. Right now the Rocket has ~ 1 out of 3 players that are locals.

Does it matters? Since most of them, if not all of them are not good enough to make the NHL anyway?

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
Now that there's AHL and ECHL teams in Quebec I'm all for using the space we have there to try to develop local talent. At the lower level we should be giving a shot to Montreal and Quebec talent, and it wouldn't upset me if Timmins made a few more "political" developmental picks in later rounds instead of the American high school kids he's obsessed with who are equal long shots.

But for the NHL team this is a useless sideshow, and the team isn't good enough to have this focus, especially when there's something like 30 Quebecois players in the league right now. This is the kind of concern we could have if we were a good team, and Legault and Plante just sound like they don't actually watch how bad we are with their pandering.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
I think Roy would be looking to add francophones not subtract. I agree that he likely carries that kind of clout, but I think the opposite of what you hope for would actually happen.

I don't agree.....just putting Roy there will make them even stronger cause that's because of them he would be the GM.
Patrick Roy knows that, he's been pushing his own name through them lately because of that and it's working.

Unless if Roy goes full Trump on them....then maybe but I doubt it.

This is why I said IF Roy would stand up to them. It's anyone's guess as to whether he actually would stand up or not.

Reactions: Milhouse40

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal

The media can scream all they want. This is an argument they can't win because, like it or not, the Habs will continue to become more international and less local, along with the rest of the league. The media's mistake is trying to attach a cultural flag to something that keeps moving. The NHL is becoming more American and European, and it ain't slowing down to wait for Canada, let alone Quebec. Canadian players are a shrinking minority. The game is moving on. The media can either enjoy what the NHL is or complain about what it used to be.

Culture and history are like the "About us" page of the website. It needs to be there, but it has no place in the actual game.

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
Does it matters? Since most of them, if not all of them are not good enough to make the NHL anyway?

It matters because out of the truckload, you might get a couple of Barré-Boulets or Gourdes.

Look at a guy like Teasdale, he was having a good season before getting injured. Could have an NHL career ahead of him. Same for Harvey-Pinard. It didn't cost you anyhing or not much (late 7th rounder for RHP) to acquire those two.

Reactions: Et le But

ourobouros

Sep 29, 2009

Something that happen for one game over a 112 years period cannot be only anecdotical... Maybe not so important, but if this is insignificant and doesn't matter, why it didn't happen more often or earlier? This team has no identity and is inability to have strong roots in his own community is part of the problem I think. But I could be wrong....

This being said, on the origin of the problem I mostly agree on what Martin Leclerc (a member of the media who seems responsible for some on-ice problem according to some posters here) wrote there : Chronique Le Canadien et les joueurs québécois : la vraie source du problème

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
The media can scream all they want. This is an argument they can't win because, like it or not, the Habs will continue to become more international and less local, along with the rest of the league. The media's mistake is trying to attach a cultural flag to something that keeps moving. The NHL is becoming more American and European, and it ain't slowing down to wait for Canada, let alone Quebec. Canadian players are a shrinking minority. The game is moving on. The media can either enjoy what the NHL is or complain about what it used to be.

Culture and history are like the "About us" page of the website. It needs to be there, but it has no place in the actual game.

Agreed....

You know what....as a fan I get tired of some GM, some players, some faces in the organization. We often say that sometimes players and the organization need a breath of fresh air, new faces and different message.

This has been more true for the medias.
Dinosaurs running the whole game.

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
in a funny way, such stupid calls after last night game, made me want MB to be back.
not cause i like him or think he is good.
It is cause i fear who will succeed him and be manipulated by the media.
For one, he made one mistake in drouin trade, in relation to the language, i dont want a rookie GM that might make 3 or 4 similar mistakes.
As the saying goes, better the devil you know

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
It matters because out of the truckload, you might get a couple of Barré-Boulets or Gourdes.

Look at a guy like Teasdale, he was having a good season before getting injured. Could have an NHL career ahead of him. Same for Harvey-Pinard. It didn't cost you anyhing or not much (late 7th rounder for RHP) to acquire those two.

You know there's a limit on contract and adding too much of quebec players who are not even considered as a good pipeline anymore is not smart. It's good for politics but for the team.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
I don’t want anyone to take this the wrong way, as I have been very clear that it’d be great to have more local talent on the team...

It’s one or two games, out of 112 years. I think life will go on.

Reactions: BLONG7

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Something that happen for one game over a 112 years period cannot be only anecdotical... Maybe not so important, but if this is insignificant and doesn't matter, why it didn't happen more often or earlier? This team has no identity and is inability to have strong roots in his own community is part of the problem I think. But I could be wrong....

This being said, on the origin of the problem I mostly agree on what Martin Leclerc (a member of the media who seems responsible for some on-ice problem according to some posters here) wrote there : Chronique Le Canadien et les joueurs québécois : la vraie source du problème

I agree with most of that article and he's right.

I didn't happen before because at first. All players were mostly Canadians
Then all players were Americans and Canadians
Then the Canadiens had the first pick in their backward

All of that is over.
That's why it was the first time in 112 years.

League is changing, constant evolution and the pool of players is getting bigger, larger, more skilled and harder to crack
You would put prime Maurice Richard in today's NHL, he would not even crack a line-up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad