Salary Cap: First time in 112 years with no Québec player in lineup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Would Toronto play without Ontario boys ? Almost every single players born in Ontario wants to play for the Leafs.

NJ management have made all efforts they could to get as many American boys in their line up over the years. Same in Minnesota.

Habs have made a shit job, finding, recruiting and developing Quebec born players. That's a fact !

You make it sound like its so easy to just be better at it. Lets take a look at the active Quebec players:

Active NHL Players Born in Quebec ‑ 2020-2021 Stats Leaders

Lets take a real look at the list. How many guys did they actually miss out on when they had a chance to get them? They never had a shot at Hubs. They've tried to sign Perron in the past and were willing to pay, he didn't want to play in Quebec. Bergeron was a miss, but that was 18 years ago. Letang was a miss, but the guy in his draft range they picked instead was Latendresse. Marchessault and Gourde were misses, but that was when the team and fanbase decided they didn't want short players anymore and smarter organizations swooped in. Its not a long list. and Drouin and Danault actually rank pretty highly, but one has been brow-beaten by the media and the other no one on here wants pay.

The reality is that the draft is a thing and Quebec doesn't have a large player pool to choose from. Its hard to not have a player from Ontario on your roster. You have to ignore other sources of players if you want to optimise the number of players from Quebec.

They've moved their AHL team to Quebec. They've tried to sign most top undrafted QMJHLers from Quebec. They're setting up ECHL team in Quebec. They're trying.

And the Habs don't draft or develop well from anywhere. In part because they're an old-fashioned team. And how they choose GMs probably plays a role.

kife

Dec 18, 2011
Good post but this is one team in 31 teams. You want an anglophone to have a job here when he can have the job at 30 other places. So it ends up no francophone can get that job in the 31 teams league.

I respect your veteran background but I find extreme your example of civil war just for a nhl team who wants a gm and coach able to speak french to talk to the quebecer fans who doesn't understand english.
The xenophobic, racism and bigotery is not in Quebec. The history of anglo saxons are filled with what you say : massive slavery in usa, arrogant attitude in India and China, genocide of the american natives (indians), etc. They created war everywhere and always act like the were superior. You point in the wrong direction. Quebecers just want to keep what they have, their identity, that's all.

Lol - I've lived in every province of Canada in my life (both for work and school). Quebec is, hands down, the most racist place and culture i've been a part of. It's hard to trump Alberta, but they do - so hats off...In your little lesson about Anglo-Saxon culture you seem to not be aware that for the French period of Quebec before the English, the french owned many slaves - many of the old, old buildings in Quebec City were built by french owned slaves. I'm not even going to go into the whole brutal assimilation of first nations at the hands of the Jesuits, the attitude of which still occurs pervasively as evidenced by the recent hospital case in the St.Jean. Worldwide - French colonialism f'ed up many a culture. Most recently I think you'd be aware of N.Africa and the number that the French did on Algeria specifically...

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Good post but this is one team in 31 teams. You want an anglophone to have a job here when he can have the job at 30 other places. So it ends up no francophone can get that job in the 31 teams league.

I respect your veteran background but I find extreme your example of civil war just for a nhl team who wants a gm and coach able to speak french to talk to the quebecer fans who doesn't understand english.
The xenophobic, racism and bigotery is not in Quebec. The history of anglo saxons are filled with what you say : massive slavery in usa, arrogant attitude in India and China, genocide of the american natives (indians), etc. They created war everywhere and always act like the were superior. You point in the wrong direction. Quebecers just want to keep what they have, their identity, that's all.
Pls...I was a child of Bill 101 in its heyday, really need me to tell you how many times a child should be told “le Quebec au quebecois?”

The island of Mtl today is more heterogeneous than when I grew up, but the homogeneous nature of les banlieu and the rest of Quebec has pretty much remained, so it’s a bit more muted in Mtl.

BTW - I would qualify the mosque shooter in Quebec City as xenophobic. There’s a long history of similar issues in Quebec w aboriginals vis a vis American Indians in US - recall what happened in Kahnawake during Oka crisis?

All homogeneous populations anywhere in the world have some degree of xenophobia...it’s inevitable.

Last edited:

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
Really? That's the rabbit hole you want to go down? You can't spot the difference between an athlete being paid millions of dollars to play a game, and what you just said?
I was responding to the argument regarding him facing pressure in his job/life. I thought someone was defending him. Unless I misread it. I was saying that people face this kind of thing all the time. I'm not defending him or other high paid athletes.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I was laughing after I posted this but I must say, the Habs are a important in this culture and if we lose the french element, it's another blow to preserve the culture.

Other blow? Whichever "blow" are you talking about. We're friggin masters in our own province. That's why you're being overdramatic.

Btw, don't know if you noticed, but French is omnipresent in the entire country, even the PM has a French name, his heritage is from here and he speaks French pretty well.

Stop the drama. The habs would move to an american city and Qc would still be the same. Canada too. FFS.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I'm not from Quebec and I would think drafting best player available is the right way to go HOWEVER I can see Montreal does have a special history with french players. I've done this before in NHL games (I know Marc, I know, this is not playstation) but I figured today I would do a hypothetical redraft to see what we would have acquired in our drafts if we had gone with best Quebec player available with our picks.

So I'll be using the draft histories from Hockeydb.com and I'll go down the list after our draft choice and who was the next available Quebec player I can find. It doesnt' list their birth place without going into each player individually so I'll look for anyone playing in a Quebec league and then check if they were born in Quebec.

1st round: our pick - #3 Alex Galchenyuk, next available was Raphael Bussieres at #46 (never played NHL game)
2nd round: our pick #33 Sebastian Colberg, next available Dillon Fournier #48 (never played NHL)
2nd round: our pick #51 Dalton Thrower, next available Alexandre Mallet #57 (never played NHL)

1st round: our pick #25 Mike Mccarron, next available was Zach Fucale #36 who was also selected
2nd round: Jacob Del La Rose #34, next available Laurent Dauphin #39 (played 39 games, scored 3 goals)
2nd round: Zach Fucale #36, next available was Gabryel Bourdreau #49 (never played in NHL)
2nd round: Arturri Lekonnen #55, next available was Marco Roy #56 (never played in NHL)

1st round: our pick #26 Nikita Sherbak, next available alexis Vanier #102 (never played in NHL)

1st round: our pick #26 Noah Juulsen, next available Anthony Beauvillier #28 (played 333 NHL games, 81 goals)
3rd round: #87 lukas Vejdomo, next pick callum booth #93 (never played NHL game)

1st round: our pick #9 Mikael Sergachev, next available Julien Gauthier #21 (played 47 games scored 2 goals)

wow that was depressing. I would have missed any quebec born player who played outside the Quebec Major Junior League and i didn't include foreign born players playing in that league. Draw your own conclusions but I feel based on what I'm seeing the days of the Montreal Canadiens being predominantly made up of Quebec born players is gone.

Nice work. Shows just how clueless the language obsessed are

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Hahaha, that dude has the biggest ego ever.

Also, this thread is still stupid. I don't care where you're from, what you look like, how tall you are, how heavy you are... if you score goals, work hard, and play better than the opposition - I'm down.

True. Down to. Thing is...at 18 years old....it's impossible to know unless you are usually pick top 5 AND you have a really great scouting group.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I'm not from Quebec and I would think drafting best player available is the right way to go HOWEVER I can see Montreal does have a special history with french players. I've done this before in NHL games (I know Marc, I know, this is not playstation) but I figured today I would do a hypothetical redraft to see what we would have acquired in our drafts if we had gone with best Quebec player available with our picks.

So I'll be using the draft histories from Hockeydb.com and I'll go down the list after our draft choice and who was the next available Quebec player I can find. It doesnt' list their birth place without going into each player individually so I'll look for anyone playing in a Quebec league and then check if they were born in Quebec.

1st round: our pick - #3 Alex Galchenyuk, next available was Raphael Bussieres at #46 (never played NHL game)
2nd round: our pick #33 Sebastian Colberg, next available Dillon Fournier #48 (never played NHL)
2nd round: our pick #51 Dalton Thrower, next available Alexandre Mallet #57 (never played NHL)

1st round: our pick #25 Mike Mccarron, next available was Zach Fucale #36 who was also selected
2nd round: Jacob Del La Rose #34, next available Laurent Dauphin #39 (played 39 games, scored 3 goals)
2nd round: Zach Fucale #36, next available was Gabryel Bourdreau #49 (never played in NHL)
2nd round: Arturri Lekonnen #55, next available was Marco Roy #56 (never played in NHL)

1st round: our pick #26 Nikita Sherbak, next available alexis Vanier #102 (never played in NHL)

1st round: our pick #26 Noah Juulsen, next available Anthony Beauvillier #28 (played 333 NHL games, 81 goals)
3rd round: #87 lukas Vejdomo, next pick callum booth #93 (never played NHL game)

1st round: our pick #9 Mikael Sergachev, next available Julien Gauthier #21 (played 47 games scored 2 goals)

wow that was depressing. I would have missed any quebec born player who played outside the Quebec Major Junior League and i didn't include foreign born players playing in that league. Draw your own conclusions but I feel based on what I'm seeing the days of the Montreal Canadiens being predominantly made up of Quebec born players is gone.

Well you've gone with the Quebec born player that left the earliest...not necessarily the best quebec born player. Than, NOBODY in their right mind suggest that we should go Quebec born player in the 1st round. Just...nobody. I appreciate the exercice. But in no way is it linked to anything that is discussed about, especially not on these boards.

Reactions: iamtalbot
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->