Salary Cap: First time in 112 years with no Québec player in lineup

Status
Not open for further replies.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Again just posting to remind everyone that the world is still turning, the sky has not fallen, and it’s nice to finally take the tiniest of baby steps (kicking and screaming the entire way) into the 21st century.

Would anyone, other than the often vilified Don Cherry, care if the Leaf Blowers didn’t have anyone from Ontario on their team? Yet Cherry is often called a racist or xenophobic. Seems to me those are two sides of the same coin.

You know what other tradition the Habs had? Winning the goddamned Stanley Cup. That one fell to the wayside a long time ago - 1993 to be exact. That’s one tradition I’d like to see revived again in my lifetime.

Don Cherry is called a xenophobe because of his comments on immigration and his quips on Russian and French-Canadian players being less “manly.” It doesn’t have anything to do with wanting players from Ontario on the Leafs.

Plus let’s get one thing clear for everyone. It’s not xenophobic to want the Habs to have a couple of players from Quebec or draft more from the QMJHL. It would be xenophobic if people said they ONLY want players from Quebec on the team since players from other areas are not as good.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Pretty much nobody backs their views and they keep churning out these dumbass articles. Cantin didn't even share his on his Twitter feed. Their pushback is very meek too. It's pathetic.
Anybody wanna see Bernier get absolutely shut down check the comment section of this thread its good times :laugh::laugh: what a clown

angusyoung

Tiki-Taki time soon.
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I just don't get all the fuss of not having a local player, seems outdated way of thinking, kind of simpleminded and petty,borderline prejudice. I follow other sports teams globally and it's not an issue that comes up. Many do not even have a local player and when they do get one, it's just how nice.

expy

Nov 2, 2010
Well the habs should be encouraging hockey in the province, and they should be scouting local talent and searching for undrafted Quebecois players. They should not overpay for people, as they did for Drouin, they should scout better and find value.
No, they should scout anywhere for the best talent.

Reactions: angusyoung

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Its gotta be youth hockey at a young age thats the issue and not even the Q. Because euro's come here and have had more success recently

There’s clearly talent in the league. 5 of the last 9 Memorial Cups have been won by a team from the QMJHL.

But hockey registration is on a downward trend in Quebec. Only 80,000 youth players in 2019-20. It was as high as 98,000 in 2011-12. Ontario has more than double the youth hockey players (close to 200k). The West (Alberta, BC, SK and MB) have like 150k registered.

Not sure how much the Habs invest in youth hockey, but they should do more. Hockey is expensive and with increased immigration comes an interest in other sports (mostly soccer). You even have Québécois NBA players now, which never existed before.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
it is in the discussions, and franckly it's not only in Montreal or in hockey... the main difference is it's being done in the open in Montreal. Fact it include a different language makes it obvious as I doubt people see english speaking baseball players and bother looking if this guy is from NY or Chicago or something where as french accent is there, you don't have to "look for it". Same for the name, doubt anyony think someone named Stephane Tremblay is anything but french speaking you know...
Agree to disagree....

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
please tell me, as a fan, how do you measure that ?

reality, chances are you'll start saying Habs hired the best available period the day they hire an english speaking only coach/GM, in the meantime, everytime the Habs hire a french speaking GM/coach we'll hear "that's because he's french", like the french speaking guy cannot be the best, period, you know...
Measuring talent is never perfect, but it's much more accurate when you remove the 'noise' from the equation. Factors not directly connected to job expertise are noise – gender, ethnicity, media buzz, language, etc. That 'noise' may factor in depending on the market (leaving out the question of discrimination) but the more you prioritize those non-job related things, the more you compromise the actual job.

Concrete example: Claude Julien was the best candidate when he was re-hired in 2017, based on his coaching expertise. I still think he's a great coach, even though I get why he was fired. Right now the best candidate is Gerard Gallant, IMO, based purely on coaching expertise. Boudreau and Tortorella are/will be available and have legit expertise, but I don't think they'd fit. Measuring strictly on expertise, other names are a compromise, certainly compared to Gallant. How much can the Habs afford to compromise?

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Joueurs québécois : comment mieux faire?

It's disappointing to see there's still people involved into development who think the problem is the LHJMQ. The league was not a problem for Crosby or Kucherov. The problem is way before that when the kids are 5 to 10 years old. We do not develop skills.

And honestly even though i'm probably alone to think that for me it starts with the hockey fans and the media. Everyone in Quebec from the fans of the Montreal Canadiens, our glorious GM and president to the media and parents keep spitting out that the only thing that matters is the system, character and work ethic.

It's been this way for 20 years now. System, system, work, work, 60 minutes, 200 foots, ... Kids grow up thinking it's true. Then they become coach. And it becomes a vicious circle. The first thing that matters is skills. Then once you got the skills developed at an early age you can focus on the system more.

My generation grew up trying to be the next Guy Lafleur, Mario Lemieux, Larry Robinson, Raymond Bourque or Patrick Roy. We idolized skills. The focus of my coachs was the skills. Back then a lack of skills was seen as a bad thing. Turner Stevenson was laughed at for his lack of skills yet the guy was working very hard. Today Turner Stevenson would be idolized by the fans and the media.

Then something happened. I don't know why but people in Quebec started to idolize work and system. Today it's all about the work and the system. Kids grow up listening to that. They grow up thinking Danault is a great hockey player. That Byron is something special. As long as it will be that way nothing will change. We need to start talking about skills. And it starts with us.
I would only point out that Quebecer Jacques Lemaire is the father of “system hockey”, and his disciples mainly from the Q (who all started w Habs org) infiltrated the NHL coaching ranks implementing said strategy.

Which is why I’ve maintained, move the Habs to Houston and even w MB as GM the team will be a legit Cup favorite within 2 off-seasons. The Mtl marketplace is incapable of being competitive in a free market based economic system the NHL has veered towards

Last edited:

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Its really not suprising hockey registration is down across the province. I know I couldnt afford to play it anymore once I hit 13-14. I grew up in Montreal and most of my friends stopped playing around the same age , need those rural boys to pick up the slack and start producing some studs again.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Measuring talent is never perfect, but it's much more accurate when you remove the 'noise' from the equation. Factors not directly connected to job expertise are noise – gender, ethnicity, media buzz, language, etc. That 'noise' may factor in depending on the market (leaving out the question of discrimination) but the more you prioritize those non-job related things, the more you compromise the actual job.

Concrete example: Claude Julien was the best candidate when he was re-hired in 2017, based on his coaching expertise. I still think he's a great coach, even though I get why he was fired. Right now the best candidate is Gerard Gallant, IMO, based purely on coaching expertise. Boudreau and Tortorella are/will be available and have legit expertise, but I don't think they'd fit. Measuring strictly on expertise, other names are a compromise, certainly compared to Gallant. How much can the Habs afford to compromise?
Yet when it comes to results, CJ had worst record than his predecessor as a Habs coach, and it's not luck, the guy was here for more than a season...

Again you talk about coaching expertise, but GG has a hard time keeping his job for long, even when he has a great record (SCF in Vegas the 1st year you know). Twice it happened. Two different org. There must be a reason for it...

So, as a fan, how did you measure Gallant and Julien's expertise again ?

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Yet when it comes to results, CJ had worst record than his predecessor as a Habs coach, and it's not luck, the guy was here for more than a season...

Again you talk about coaching expertise, but GG has a hard time keeping his job for long, even when he has a great record (SCF in Vegas the 1st year you know). Twice it happened. Two different org. There must be a reason for it...

So, as a fan, how did you measure Gallant and Julien's expertise again ?

Claude Julien had an infinitely worst roster than Therrien. Come on.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Do you guys not see that Q players mostly suck and theres like 20 good ones in the entire world?
Herein lies the issue...........if there are not enough good players to get drafted, how is it just on the Habs to change?
Let's face it the kids playing in the Q are from all over the world, and the canadian kids are french and english.
How players in the Q? How many are french? This is on the province, not the Habs................yet the Legault guy says the habs should be drafting more Quebec born players? Sorry ya putz, not if YOU don't provide them...

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Toffoli, Anderson, Price - Weber - Petry still here, Suzie, Tatar, Danault, Armia...
Maybe the division was weaker or maybe it was Price but therrien did make the ECF with our old roster something that I could only dream of happening with this one regardless of coach

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
I don't understand why this is a thing. We have known for decades the amount of NHL talent coming out of Quebec is decreasing and it appears the Habs want nothing to do with helping Quebec born players reach their potential of being an NHL player considering they may never play for the team.

I don't understand what this history means to anyone. Yes the Habs were once great with Quebec born players. But times have changed and it's time to adapt to the reality of the globalized world. If the Habs truly cared about having Quebec born players on their roster, than they should put the odds on their side and help them develop so that they have a better chance at drafting a good one that wans to be a part of the organization that helped him grow. At this point over paying for a player like Drouin was a fail. Danault was a huge win.

Why can't this franchise separate themselves from the politics that have clearly only dragged them down. I would be really surprised that a Hab fan will stop drinking Molson beer if the GM is English and we are playing in the Stanley Cup finals. Winning is the remedy.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Herein lies the issue...........if there are not enough good players to get drafted, how is it just on the Habs to change?
Let's face it the kids playing in the Q are from all over the world, and the canadian kids are french and english.
How players in the Q? How many are french? This is on the province, not the Habs................yet the Legault guy says the habs should be drafting more Quebec born players? Sorry ya putz, not if YOU don't provide them...
There's something we should think about, the meaning of "local" in the Habs/Habs fan context, if you're born and raise but speak english mostly (barely any french) are you part of the quota ? or if you're not born and raised but speak french (see Gainey) ? if you're french speaking from elsewhere (like Toews) ? and what if you came in here to play hockey for a few years and left (aka Crosby) ? and what if your name is Mamadou ?

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
So french management is the cause of our demise ? Might want to strap your helmet before going down that road.
In a nut shell yes. When you pick the best out of a very limited pool and your compition picks out of a pool 20 times larger plus your pool, the chances of getting the best is pretty small. Its simple math and the last 25 yes bear it out.

WayneMessier

Feb 12, 2013
Inyourbeerfridge
I just don't get all the fuss of not having a local player, seems outdated way of thinking, kind of simpleminded and petty,borderline prejudice. I follow other sports teams globally and it's not an issue that comes up. Many do not even have a local player and when they do get one, it's just how nice.
What kind of nonsense is this. Rational statements are not welcomed here. Obviously a provincial inquiry is required to get to the bottom of this issue, perhaps with Julie Payette as chairperson. BTW, the PMO's office has scheduled a press conference later today, be assured an apology is forthcoming.

Reactions: angusyoung

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
There’s clearly talent in the league. 5 of the last 9 Memorial Cups have been won by a team from the QMJHL.

But hockey registration is on a downward trend in Quebec. Only 80,000 youth players in 2019-20. It was as high as 98,000 in 2011-12. Ontario has more than double the youth hockey players (close to 200k). The West (Alberta, BC, SK and MB) have like 150k registered.

Not sure how much the Habs invest in youth hockey, but they should do more. Hockey is expensive and with increased immigration comes an interest in other sports (mostly soccer). You even have Québécois NBA players now, which never existed before.

Winning 5 of the last 9 Memorial Cups doesn't mean that it's a talented league, it means there's some good teams.
And in those good teams, there's a lot of anglophones and european, russians and others.

Andrighetto and Beaulieu were from the Q....

Habs don't have to invest in youth hockey. They do help left and right with donation but they can't do a whole lot about it.
What's the point to invest money that will mostly help other team in the NHL and the Habs?

And they won't be able to top the American in any way shape or form and the European for that matter, it's simply impossible.

In the states, sports is one way to get a top education...paid for on top of that. That's a hell of a motivation for kids 15-16-17 in the states. And once you're in, they give them everything to train 24/7 and get better at their sports and since those places are making tons of money out their league, they invest in top coaching, trainers and other stuff. It's true for tons of sports over there.

In Europe, it's not only about making the NHL, they have their own league they can play in and make a very good living and be popular over there. It's something Quebec kids don't really have. Hudon is playing in one of those league but it's a drop for him considering that all his life it's was the NHL he watched. The kid in Russian or Sweden can hope to play in the NHL for sure, but their own league is still prestigious for them. That gives them more opportunity.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
I don't understand why this is a thing. We have known for decades the amount of NHL talent coming out of Quebec is decreasing and it appears the Habs want nothing to do with helping Quebec born players reach their potential of being an NHL player considering they may never play for the team.

I don't understand what this history means to anyone. Yes the Habs were once great with Quebec born players. But times have changed and it's time to adapt to the reality of the globalized world. If the Habs truly cared about having Quebec born players on their roster, than they should put the odds on their side and help them develop so that they have a better chance at drafting a good one that wans to be a part of the organization that helped him grow. At this point over paying for a player like Drouin was a fail. Danault was a huge win.

Why can't this franchise separate themselves from the politics that have clearly only dragged them down. I would be really surprised that a Hab fan will stop drinking Molson beer if the GM is English and we are playing in the Stanley Cup finals. Winning is the remedy.
Give it 10-15 years and I doubt its even a conversation anymore. Its an old way of thinking, with the rise of immigrants in Quebec and more and more multiculturism and new generations of young habs fans less and less people will care about the nationality of the players lol. I have a hard time finding somebody who cares right now so imagine in 10 years. That said growing up in Quebec and ending up playing for the Montreal Canadiens is still something we should value and praise when it does happen regardless of ethnicity or name on the back of the jersey that's just tradition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad