First Round Playoff Talk Thread: Islanders vs Penguins

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
It was too easy to predict the NBC/NBCSN games would all be the Bruins/Pens and the Canes/Bolts series would be buried on CNBC/USA. I wonder what the league is gonna do in 3 years when the Caps/Pens are losing 50 games a season

Reactions: Thrasymachus

The Lighthouse

Aug 1, 2011
shockingly the ticket process was pretty smooth. I got stuck with a work thing and got in 5 minutes late. Didn't matter - there were tickets all over the place still. got 4 for game 1.

Same, was a maybe 5 minute wait and then got 4 tickets for home game 2.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
It was too easy to predict the NBC/NBCSN games would all be the Bruins/Pens and the Canes/Bolts series would be buried on CNBC/USA. I wonder what the league is gonna do in 3 years when the Caps/Pens are losing 50 games a season
From a hockey standpoint I think Bolts-Panthers is the most intriguing 1st round matchup. Should have some real sizzle.

Reactions: Olliemets

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
$56 for that kind of analysis.
I was thinking of plunking down the $56 so I can find out what Dom Lyszychninkzydufusnincompoopdingbat calculates our chances of winning to be. He always calculates to the hundreth of a percent, so you know it's very scientific and accurate.

JKP

Sep 19, 2004
Halifax, NS
$56 for that kind of analysis.
I actually like the Athletic, but more because of the beat reporter of my NFL team (Jeff Zrebiec, Ravens). That dude is frigging awesome.

Art is OK, I actually think he's a decent writer, jut tough to get much in the Lou cone of silence.

But their general hockey stuff is often pretty meh and Toronto-biased. Some of their in-depth feature stuff is outstanding, IMO, but everyone's mileage may vary. ;)

Reactions: MJF

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Art is OK, I actually think he's a decent writer, jut tough to get much in the Lou cone of silence.

But their general hockey stuff is often pretty meh and Toronto-biased. Some of their in-depth feature stuff is outstanding, IMO, but everyone's mileage may vary.
I feel the same way. Nothing earth shattering from their hockey writers. Staple was a worthwhile read when he was at Newsday and at the practice facility each day while Garf was GM. Now the combination of Lou being tight lipped and the pandemic keeping Staple at home makes him no better or worse than any other beat writer and certainly not worth the price of a subscription.

Like I said to Throttle, I can piece together the Isles news by following Gross, Staple, Compton, Friedman and Lebrun on Twitter for free.

Reactions: JKP

Olliemets

Mar 1, 2018
Croton on Hudson, NY
From a hockey standpoint I think Bolts-Panthers is the most intriguing 1st round matchup. Should have some real sizzle.
I hope that series is epic. Would help league a lot on Miami end. Always though Panthers underachieved with the talent they have, but they look like they are for real. Hope it goes 7.

Reactions: MJF

Drive 4 Five

Sep 5, 2006
Picked up Game 4 tix about an hour ago. A little shocked at how many tickets are left. I think they will need to expand beyond STH's if they want to sell all of these.

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island
Picked up Game 4 tix about an hour ago. A little shocked at how many tickets are left. I think they will need to expand beyond STH's if they want to sell all of these.

This was the letter. The last sentence says remaining tickets will go on sale for UBS Premium members Monday, so not sure if that means STH will be able to exceed the 4 max then but seems as if it might be.

The New York Islanders are set to take on the Pittsburgh Penguins in Round 1 of the 2021 Stanley Cup® Playoffs. The team is excited to safely welcome even more fans back to Nassau Coliseum.

In accordance with the recently expanded New York State arena capacity guidelines, select seating sections within Nassau Coliseum will be made available to fully vaccinated fans. These sections will be referred to as “Fully Vaccinated Sections”.

The remaining sections will continue to maintain 6ft of social distancing between seating pods and will be referred to as “Socially Distanced Sections”. Please note that owing to New York State social distancing requirements, seating will remain more limited in these sections.

Seats in the Fully Vaccinated Sections will go on sale this Thursday, May 13th. Seats in the Socially Distanced Sections will go on sale on Friday, May 14th.

Fully Vaccinated Section Presale
Thursday, May 13th

YOUR PRESALE STARTS: 10:00AM
YOUR PRESALE ENDS: 8:00PM

UBS Arena Premium Members will have the opportunity to purchase up to four (4) tickets in total for Round 1 in one of the Fully Vaccinated Sections.

Please note the following:
  • Full vaccination means your final dose of the COVID-19 vaccine has been administered at least 14 days before game day.
  • Each ticket holder will be required to present proof of full vaccination to gain entry.
  • Children 16 years and under may sit in a Fully Vaccinated Section if the child is accompanied by a fully vaccinated parent or guardian, and if the child presents a negative COVID-19 PCR test taken within 72 hours of game day, or a negative COVID-19 rapid antigen test taken within 6 hours of the start of the game.
Socially Distanced Section Presale
Friday, May 14th

Only UBS Arena Premium Members who did not purchase tickets in a Fully Vaccinated Section will have the opportunity to secure two (2) tickets in total for Round 1 in a Socially Distanced Section. Seat availability for this presale will be very limited.

If you qualify, your presale time for Friday will be shared later this week. Per New York State guidelines, fans sitting in a Socially Distanced Section may present any one of the following to gain entry:
  • Proof of a negative COVID-19 rapid antigen test taken within 6 hours of the start of the game.
  • Proof of a negative COVID-19 PCR test taken within 72 hours of game day.
  • Proof of full vaccination, which means your final dose of the COVID-19 vaccine has been administered at least 14 days before game day.
Following the Member playoff presales this week, any remaining ticket inventory will be made available to UBS Arena Premium Members for purchase, on Monday, May 17th.

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
I actually like the Athletic, but more because of the beat reporter of my NFL team (Jeff Zrebiec, Ravens). That dude is frigging awesome.

But their general hockey stuff is often pretty meh and Toronto-biased. Some of their in-depth feature stuff is outstanding, IMO, but everyone's mileage may vary. ;)
I hate the Pens, but the just published piece about Crosby and Malkin is outstanding.

Beacon Isles

Feb 20, 2015
Beacon, NY

I like the Athletic too, mostly because of the overall coverage of all the teams I follow - the Isles, Jets, Mets, Knicks - and general coverage of the leagues. The day to day stuff can be blah at times, but then they hit a home run with some articles. JMO. I do agree the Isles coverage is pretty meh, but I think that's in large part to there not being a lot of info coming out from Lou. Art's a decent writer like you said.

What bugs me, like any pay site, is that people copy and paste whole articles on social media without consent, so I could probably get all the same info word for word for free with a little effort.

Beacon Isles

Feb 20, 2015
Beacon, NY
I hope that series is epic. Would help league a lot on Miami end. Always though Panthers underachieved with the talent they have, but they look like they are for real. Hope it goes 7.

Thinking about it, I would love to see the Panthers knock them off. Be good for the city, and something about Tampa's injured guys magically being ready for the playoffs kinda rubs me the wrong way.

Reactions: Olliemets and MJF

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Thinking about it, I would love to see the Panthers knock them off. Be good for the city, and something about Tampa's injured guys magically being ready for the playoffs kinda rubs me the wrong way.
Me too. It's the message that the Lightning's star forwards are so good that they can just flip a switch and perform at playoff level. It may take them a few games to be back at that high level. But will the Panthers have a commanding lead in the series by the time that happens?

Reactions: buud

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
This is a close series the way I have crunched the numbers.

Normally I would go with the Isles if the game is played 5v5 for the majority of the series. But it's close to a toss up there. Pens are +26 whereas the Isles are +23 5 v5.

Special teams is where this series is going to won. Isles PK has got to be on this series. Isles PK is one of the leagues best this season. We know the Pens have a good PP. Maybe a saw off.

If there is one area the Isles can win this series is if there PP is on for this series. My belief is the Isles will need to score on the PP to win this one. Pens have a mediocre PK this season. This is an area to exploit. This is what I will be watching. A PP goal a game will put the Isles in great position to take this in probably 6 or 7 games.

JKP

Sep 19, 2004
Halifax, NS
This is a close series the way I have crunched the numbers.

Normally I would go with the Isles if the game is played 5v5 for the majority of the series. But it's close to a toss up there. Pens are +26 whereas the Isles are +23 5 v5.

Special teams is where this series is going to won. Isles PK has got to be on this series. Isles PK is one of the leagues best this season. We know the Pens have a good PP. Maybe a saw off.

If there is one area the Isles can win this series is if there PP is on for this series. My belief is the Isles will need to score on the PP to win this one. Pens have a mediocre PK this season. This is an area to exploit. This is what I will be watching. A PP goal a game will put the Isles in great position to take this in probably 6 or 7 games.
My hope is the 6-7 days off help them reset the PP like the covid break did back in Feb, so they ride a hot PP for a couple weeks before they forget how to enter the zone, pass quickly and shoot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad