First Round Playoff Talk Thread: Islanders vs Penguins

nyisleslover

Jun 20, 2018
Albany, NY
Who's the only NHL player to win the Stanley Cup for both the Islanders and the Rangers? *He had two with the Islanders*

NO PEEKING... don't look it up! Give your best guess.

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island
I still dont like the Rags, dont get me wrong, but I might actually root for them now in a playoff series over Washington and Toronto. But by next year that could change.

I have found myself getting soft on the Rangers recently for those exact two teams . The Rangers dont seem to have that nasty side to them these days and we have many reasons to dislike the Caps and Leafs, but then I snap myself back into reality. I do not want to see the Rangers in the 2nd round. If they played the leafs in the first round, it would be really really tough but the Rangers are my natural enemy, I would not want to hear it from Ranger fans.. I still hear about 94.

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island

This makes sense. With their spot locked and a number of injuries, would not expect the Caps to ice their best team in that last game but you never know crazier things have happened. Just hope we take care of business on Monday so we can go into the playoffs with some momentum.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
No sense in playing for a specific match up. If guys need rest, I hope Trotz rests them. If guys need continuity to get into a flow since they're going to have a long layoff, play them. I wouldn't be looking to make a statement against Boston, just go through the motions and focus on the defensive side of things.

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
Wonder getting the 2nd Covid vaccine shot during the rest period may give a team with longer rest time an advantage? I heard the 2nd shot could potentially cause mild side effect that last about 3 days? Given the more relaxed Covid19 NHL restrictions for teams fully vaccinated I am sure a lot of teams would try to get their players fully vaccinated.

Much easier to do the 2nd shot right after the season end. This can actually works for the Pens which has completed their schedule already, unless all US based teams already somehow got their 2nd shot already.

Last edited:

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I'm fine with playing either the Pens or Caps in the first rd. Think they will be equally tough. I don't think the Isles should kill themselves getting home ice potentially in the 2nd rd or positioning to play either team. Coin toss tough opponent. I am not sure how to approach the last game of the season. Except make sure none of the key guys are hurt. If this means resting Pelech and Pulock, I am fine with this. With the way the iD line plays, maybe rest them too. I would hate losing a key player in a game the Isles with so little to gain. When the Blues won the cup, they did not have home ice advantage, I don't think it's a great equalizer in the playoffs, expecially with areas not full.

Reactions: nyisleslover

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
I am all for resting #3 or #2 next game but knowing Trotz he probably wants his team end the season on a winning streak. Boston can still get #3 anyway if they beat a badly banged up Cap team. It is normally easier to upset the team with home ice advantage because there is less pressure for the underdog team but much harder to do it in the 2nd round.

However as I do not like the Caps I rather Isles losing to Pens if they cannot get past the 1st. If they do beat Pens somehow then they may just be good enough to go far.

Yes avoiding key injuries in the last game would make a lot of sense though.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Isles can shut down the Pens and neutralize them.

That's how they can win this series, that said, the Pens pierced right through the D most of the year. Their weakness is D and G, if NYI carry a strong forecheck, that will go a long way.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Be nice to see FL v. TB in round 1 (and FL winning...). No CA teams in the playoffs again (will be repeated again next year too). Dallas making playoffs to overcome big bad COVID would be a great story, however, Nashville making it would be good for that market. MIN is wild and good for them. The North, ah, whatever.

The seeding is unclear, but generally, Vegas is poised to go all the way.
I'm calling CAR vs. LVGK for the finals, should be a good one!

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
The Pens offense these last few games has been coming from the corpse of Jeff Carter, they are staring down an eventual rebuild, I want them as the matchup.

Reactions: Thrasymachus

Beacon Isles

Feb 20, 2015
Beacon, NY
Any guesses when the first round starts for the East? Friday? Saturday? I had read originally they were planning to start things 3 days after the reg season ended.

NYI365

Let's Go Islanders!
Jun 5, 2011
Merrick, NY

What does everyone think the procedure is going to be like for availability? I'm a new season ticket holders starting next season at Belmont, so I'm assuming availability will go to Present Season Ticket Holders -> Season Ticket Holders Next Season -> General Public. Fair guess in that regard?

Would be nice to start getting info from the team via email before tomorrow AM re: how the process works.

Edit: Some clarification:

Last edited:

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006

What does everyone think the procedure is going to be like for availability? I'm a new season ticket holders starting next season at Belmont, so I'm assuming availability will go to Present Season Ticket Holders -> Season Ticket Holders Next Season -> General Public. Fair guess in that regard?

Would be nice to start getting info from the team via email before tomorrow AM re: how the process works.

50% to vaccinated people and 50% to unvaccinated people? How does that work?

"I'm sorry, we've sold out our allotment of vaccinated tickets. If you hadn't received the vaccine, we could have sold you a ticket."

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
50% to vaccinated people and 50% to unvaccinated people? How does that work?

"I'm sorry, we've sold out our allotment of vaccinated tickets. If you hadn't received the vaccine, we could have sold you a ticket."

I think Nashville had 7,500 people at their game the other day... NY is still playing 'safety' PR.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad